Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Michigan Early June (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166230)

gattm99 02-11-19 03:43 PM

Michigan Early June

Me and a buddy are going to do a self supported tour in Michigan. We haven't looked too specifically at a route yet and would like to incorporate a ferry maybe. I'd like to find people to go with us, Anyone interested?

Anywhere else I could post this invitation?

Thanks!

bobwysiwyg 02-12-19 05:52 AM

Upper Peninsula? Lower Peninsula? Ferry to or from where? :foo:

avole 02-12-19 06:50 AM

What lyrical title to a thread! Almost convinces me to spend more time in the US, perhaps in 2 years time...

bobwysiwyg 02-12-19 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by avole (Post 20790759)
..perhaps in 2 years time...

That would be my recommendation. ;)

Jim from Boston 02-12-19 07:21 AM

I’m a native of Detroit, and my adult cycling lifestyle started there, mainly touring Southeastern Michigan and Ontario. Here are links to few threads I have posted to:

Touring in Michigan

Best time for visiting/biking Michigan's LP/UP?

Suggestions for Fourth of July trip in Midwest

Riding through Detroit

There are several long-standing, annual days-long tours, such as Dalmac, Pedal Across Lower Michigan PALM), and one along the Lake Michigan coastline, which I don’t recall, among others.
Google Bike Touring in Michigan.

MiE 02-12-19 08:20 AM

West coast (of michigan)

I'm from Michigan myself. Riding up the west coast is supposed to be amazing (on my bucket list). Lots of Vinyards and wineries. As for the ferry, there has to be something as you get to northern michigan to the upper peninsula.

fishboat 02-12-19 08:24 AM

Links to consider..

https://www.lmb.org/ride-calendar/shoreline-west-2019/

https://www.lmb.org/bike-mi/michigan-bike-routes-maps/

You can download these maps of all areas..shows roads and traffic volume(I picked up one of these recently..nice maps)
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616...6053--,00.html

The Michigander Tour happens every year too..on many of the northern trails
https://www.bikesignup.com/Race/Even...r#event-181141

jefnvk 02-12-19 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by avole (Post 20790759)
What lyrical title to a thread! Almost convinces me to spend more time in the US, perhaps in 2 years time...

Well since politics was dragged into it already, we're still going to have a Democrat governor in 2 years time, might as well wait til 2022....

jefnvk 02-12-19 08:44 AM

Snide disapproval at politics encroaching touring aside, where specifically are you going? AFAIK, the ferries are as follows:

Ludington to Manitowac
Muskegon to Milwaukee
Blue Water Ferry between Michigan and Ontario near Sarnia/Port Huron
Mackinac Island (probably your best choice, especially if you have to cross the bridge)
Drummond Island
Beaver Island
Bois Blanc Island
I think there is one around the Les Chaneux Area, not positive tho
Sugar Island near Sault Ste Marie, but that is all of three minutes across

avole 02-12-19 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jefvnk
Well since politics was dragged into it already, we're still going to have a Democrat governor in 2 years time, might as well wait til 2022....

Don't confuse politics with simple economics. As any of my friends will tell you, I'm a penniless Greenpeace/médecins sans frontières supporter whose investments, if the newspapers are to be believed, are about to tumble big time. Again.

alan s 02-12-19 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 20790762)
That would be my recommendation. ;)

I’d just stay put. France has plenty of nice places to see. The Ludington-Manitowoc ferry could be incorporated into a trip.

jefnvk 02-12-19 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by avole (Post 20790956)
Don't confuse politics with simple economics. As any of my friends will tell you, I'm a penniless Greenpeace/médecins sans frontières supporter whose investments, if the newspapers are to be believed, are about to tumble big time. Again.

My apologies if your comment and the subsequent response to it was purely in reference to your financial situation, not politics.

robow 02-12-19 04:44 PM

You've got to do the eastern shore of Lake Michigan (western side of lower Michigan) Frankfort, Traverse City, Petoskey, Mackinaw etc. If you go a touch later or get lucky, you'll catch it when the cherries are ready for the pickin' and can be had in roadside stands everywhere. jefnvk listed several nice ferry rides but it will depend on whether you want a day trip or create a whole new longer route such as the Ludington to WI ferry.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7352058fc6.jpg

101stairborne 02-12-19 07:29 PM

Michigan

Originally Posted by gattm99 (Post 20789922)
Me and a buddy are going to do a self supported tour in Michigan. We haven't looked too specifically at a route yet and would like to incorporate a ferry maybe. I'd like to find people to go with us, Anyone interested?

Thanks!

i sent you a private email . Michigan is a great place to ride .

gattm99 02-13-19 06:24 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. My friend wants to do some kind loop where we cross the lake on a ferry, like North on the East shore and south on the west shore, but I don't think I'm for the distance or the cost of the ferry ride across the lake once I looked into more detail. I'd like to ride up the East shore to mackinaw, but we haven't really planned anything yet. Lots of resources to read here, thanks!

TiHabanero 02-13-19 07:59 PM

I have ridden the east cost of the Lake Michigan and it is certainly a fantastic ride, especially as you get past the Muskegon area heading north. Have fun!

MarcusT 02-13-19 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jefnvk (Post 20790916)

There is always someone who has to light a match.
This is the reason we ride; to cover the noise of such nonsense

robert schlatte 02-15-19 01:02 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4bf255c2f.jpeg
Six times I have covered the distance between Columbus, Ohio and Topinabee, Michigan going in both directions. A beautiful route, incorporating a ferry, is along BR 35 -Lake Michigan shoreline to Ludington. Then across the lake to Manitowac, Wisconsin and up around Green Bay and the north side of the lake to the Mackinaw Bridge and back into the lower peninsula.

indyfabz 02-15-19 01:14 PM

This thread interests me. Question: How are the bugs in early June?

robow 02-15-19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20796352)
This thread interests me. Question: How are the bugs in early June?

Not too bad in early June, but by July if you're in the northwoods, out come the biting black flies, worse than the mosquitoes. As long as you're moving you're fine, but stop in one place for very long and they're on you. Again, if you stay near the cleared populated areas and the lake, you'll be fine.

Random sculpture you'll find on the shoreline

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ce3b921076.jpg

MarcusT 02-15-19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by robow (Post 20796609)
Not too bad in early June, but by July if you're in the northwoods, out come the biting black flies, worse than the mosquitoes. As long as you're moving you're fine, but stop in one place for very long and they're on you. Again, if you stay near the cleared populated areas and the lake, you'll be fine.

Really? I remember many moons ago, that end of May was usually black fly season and mosquitoes were a little later on.

bobwysiwyg 02-16-19 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusT (Post 20797051)
Really? I remember many moons ago, that end of May was usually black fly season and mosquitoes were a little later on.

Ditto, May into June in the U.P. Years ago took our Bassett Hound up with us. Poor thing had to be indoors unless walking fairly briskly.

irwin7638 02-16-19 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by gattm99 (Post 20789922)

Thanks!

I'm in west Michigan and the coastline is probably the best place to start. I've toured from Union Station in Chicago and all along the western shore to Petosky. It depends upon how long you want to ride, you can catch ferries at either Muskegon or Ludington and cross the lake to Milwaukee. If something like that sounds good I might be able to help and be willing to ride with for a few days. Coming from Harrisburg, you might consider taking Amtrak from Carbondale to Union Station in Chicago, riding up the east Lake Michigan shore, catching a ferry to Milwaukee and returning to Chicago along the west shore. Here are a couple links to my blog, you can find more trips logged under the "Real Bike Travel" tab. Coincidentally, I plan to be down in the Shawnee Forest riding for a few days at the beginning of April. We might get together and talk then.

Simply Cycle: Business unusual.
Simply Cycle: Connecting the dots.

Marc

Jim from Boston 02-16-19 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by irwin7638 (Post 20797355)
I'm in west Michigan and the coastline is probably the best place to start. I've toured from Union Station in Chicago and all along the western shore to Petosky...

If something like that sounds good I might be able to help and be willing to ride with for a few days. ...Here are a couple links to my blog, you can find more trips logged under the "Real Bike Travel" tab.

Coincidentally, I plan to be down in the Shawnee Forest riding for a few days at the beginning of April. We might get together and talk then.

Simply Cycle: Business unusual.
Simply Cycle: Connecting the dots.

Marc

Hi @irwin7638,

Nice reply about riding in Western Michigan, and nice to see another post by you.

I have thoroughly enjoyed riding with Marc on two separate Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, in Michigan and Boston, and his Simply Cycle Blog linked in his Signature line, is a delight to read.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 15897979)
… I had met Marc on the Third Annual Ride in Michigan. Marc has a great sense of humor and a lot of life and cycling experiences for his material. Even if his quips are not that funny, his hearty laugh made me laugh too

Originally Posted by miss kenton (Post 15898750)
…Meeting miss jean and Marc was a pure delight! They are great people and I truly enjoyed the time we spent together…

He is also a well-seasoned cycle tourist.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 12901245)
… was going to then take the prize for distance traveled, 750 miles from Boston [by car], but yielded to Irwin who rode his bike with camping gear 120 miles on Thursday...

Best Wishes, Marc. :beer:

robow 02-16-19 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusT (Post 20797051)

I apologize if I've thrown you a curve, and I know there a couple different species of biting black flies and/or maybe the past 30 years at our cabin in the UP have been an anomaly. We always spend the last week or two in May up there and the bugs aren't bad at all. Generally the ice has only been off anywhere from 2-5 weeks prior and night time temps are still in the 30's which probably reduces the bug population. As June heats up, that's when things take off and many a 4th of July up there where we're at, the flies come out in force. I can't speak for lower Michigan where I'm sure things heat up more quickly.