Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational & Family (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Looking for a trailer pulling rig. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170059)

riverdrifter 04-07-19 03:38 PM

Looking for a trailer pulling rig.

Despite starting threads in MTB and Road Bikes, I think this is where I need to be hanging out.

I've been a recreational/family rider forever. I did car-free for 1 year, but it wasn't really ideal for my location.

In junior high I bought a new Schwinn World Sport, charcoal metallic, from my LBS. I saved my paper route money for that bike.

I rode it through high school and college. Sometime in the 90s I bought a Gary Fisher Marlin. That became my daily commuter for many years. Like the Schwinn, it was still in great shape when I sold it to upgrade to a Trek 6500. I equipped it with a rack and it became my year round daily commuter, pizza getter, etc. When our baby came I bought a Nashbar trailer and pulled that. I made it work, but was pretty unhappy with it.

Life started changing a lot, I got a job with long hours, 30 miles away. I just kind of quit riding. The trailer I gave to a guy going on cross country tour, I hope it worked out for him. The Trek sat in a corner in the shed and the tires rotted, untouched for 6 years. It's hard to believe after 30 years of nearly daily rides, I haven't even been on a bike in 6 years. I gave the Trek away last spring.

Things changed with my job, I'm local again, with more free time, and I have another baby (2 year old). It's time to get back on a bike.

This time I'm buying a Burly Solo. That leaves me about $400 to get a bike. A hybrid, commuter, flat bar type is probably what I need.

I do live now in a really remote, rural area. My only LBS is Trek, 60 miles away. So I'm definitely considering the FX1. $379 right now.

Online options I considered are Fuji Absolute 1.9, Raleigh Cadent 1 or 2.

Any suggestions? I'd sure appreciate any help. I have not been to ride the FX1 yet. I'm 5'9", 155 lbs, and not nearly as fit as I was 6 years ago. :)

Thanks!

Ironfish653 04-11-19 03:31 AM

Not really Any specific bike, but some things that make trailer pulling easier;
Wider tires and higher spoke counts; Any trailer is going to add some weight to the back wheel, and in tight turns on and on uneven surfaces, can give a little lateral push to the back end.
Good Brakes; Hydraulic disks are nice, but not a necessity. Even cable pull rim brakes will do fine, especially if you install better pads.
A triple crank is nice if you have big hills, and your budget hybrid might not be equipped with a 42t cassette.
You can pull a kiddie trailer with just about any kind of bike, but if you’re planning on doing any real distance, with any sort speed, I’d steer away from comfort bikes, and more towards ‘performance’ oriented hybrids. I’m not totally familiar with the bikes you’re shopping, but usually the ‘trail’ version does a little better as a tug than the road-oriented ‘fitness’ version.

riverdrifter 04-14-19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653 (Post 20879467)
Not really Any specific bike, but some things that make trailer pulling easier;
Wider tires and higher spoke counts; Any trailer is going to add some weight to the back wheel, and in tight turns on and on uneven surfaces, can give a little lateral push to the back end.
Good Brakes; Hydraulic disks are nice, but not a necessity. Even cable pull rim brakes will do fine, especially if you install better pads.
A triple crank is nice if you have big hills, and your budget hybrid might not be equipped with a 42t cassette.
You can pull a kiddie trailer with just about any kind of bike, but if you’re planning on doing any real distance, with any sort speed, I’d steer away from comfort bikes, and more towards ‘performance’ oriented hybrids. I’m not totally familiar with the bikes you’re shopping, but usually the ‘trail’ version does a little better as a tug than the road-oriented ‘fitness’ version.

Thanks for the info. I ended up going the road route instead of a hybrid or another mountain bike. I bought a Jamis Satellite Sport. It does have a triple crank, I'm not sure how wide of tires it can fit. It comes with Vittoria Zafirro 700x25c.

Darth Lefty 04-14-19 07:41 PM

It really depends on your lowest gear and your strength. A single-kid trailer won’t put too big a load on your bike compared to your own self. But it’s like pulling around a parachute. You can expect to be riding about two shifts lower than you do alone.

fietsbob 04-27-19 10:27 PM

trailer to carry what & where? 2 types ; 1 wheel or 2 ? , there are several companies in both categories ..

Over ...

I'm not sure how wide of tires it can fit
this is where measuting comes in ...