Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How far is the bicycling part of your commute? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175653)

no motor? 06-14-19 10:18 AM

How far is the bicycling part of your commute?

Rumrun got me wondering about how far people ride during there commute to put things in perspective and I figured I'd try my first poll to find out. What I want to know is how far do you ride each day one way, please omit the other parts of your commute if you're multi-modal.

alan s 06-14-19 11:14 AM

I’m right on the cusp. As a multimodal car-bike commuter, sometimes it’s over 15 and sometimes under 15, depending where I park and the route I take. Even on the same day I will often take different routes so one way may be over and the other way under. I want to help you with your poll, but not sure how to answer.

Skipjacks 06-14-19 11:18 AM

It depends on how nice of a day it is.

Normal day It's a 6-7 mile round trip depending on routes I take.

Dead of winter it's a 5 mile trip and not a foot more. (I hate being cold)

Gorgeous summer day with low humidity and me not needing to be anywhere by a certain time....the trip home could easily make it a 15 mile day.

no motor? 06-14-19 12:01 PM

Now I remember I was going to address this issue when I came up with the idea last night. The main/most common commute was what I was interested in, and that can be the long way you take because it's more enjoyable/more exercise or the short way because you just want to get there/home.

here hold my ha 06-14-19 12:11 PM

My straight line is 3 miles each way, but I've started taking a different route on the way to work, which adds three there, avoids my nemesis, The Hill, and gives me a couple extra nice downhills to enjoy.

PS - I answered 3 in the poll, because that's my bare minimum.

CliffordK 06-14-19 12:33 PM

I'm more of an irregular commuter, errands, utility riding, shopping, etc.

Distances vary, but I'm frequently in the 30 to 40 mile RT range. Rarely less than 20 miles RT. Although I often do multiple stops with a ride too.

caloso 06-14-19 01:11 PM

4 miles direct, door-to-door.

Steely Dan 06-14-19 01:17 PM

it's 8.0 miles from my home to my office via the MUP route.

there's a more direct 6.9 mile route, but i almost never ride it because it's 100% city street, and with traffic and traffic control devices, it's not really all that much quicker from a time standpoint.

and the slightly longer MUP route gives me 6 miles (75% of my total route) of car-free riding on a lightly used MUP that goes through a pleasant greenway/sculpture park that runs along a canal.

i figure that the less i have to interact with impatient/frustrated/irritated chicago rush-hour car commuters, the better.

in years past i've had regular one-way commute routes as short as 4.6 miles and as long as 15.2 miles.

8.0 miles is a nice "in between" distance. long enough to feel like a proper ride; short enough to not be too onerous from a time standpoint.

But its me 06-14-19 01:17 PM

20.4 miles, so I get select over 20 even if just a smidge! That’s end of driveway to bike rack. By car, 17 miles. I ride MUP most of the way.

surak 06-14-19 02:08 PM

About 15.5. Safest route, crosses body of water so not too many alternatives that don't add a lot of extra time, plus it's long enough that I never feel like extending it. Longer days adding 5 miles do happen when I pop over to my LBS.

no motor? 06-14-19 04:10 PM

Mine is in the 6.5 to 7 mile range. I've got some minor variations based on the weather and time but there aren't that many variations that change the mileage that much.

AusTexMurf 06-14-19 04:41 PM

Mine varies. Sometimes able to work remotely from my home office. Actual bike commute can be anywhere from 2 - 30 miles one way, depending where I need to go. Covered as many as about 75 miles in a work day and as few as about 5 miles at this job. If I go in to my office proper, it is about a 12 mile one way ride. Sometimes, I have to drive longer distances such as San Antonio or Texas hill country and other times I need to haul heavy materials in a work truck. Occasionally, I will throw a folding bike or one of my commuter bikes in the pickup truck to ride once I get to another Texas city or big project site.
I have even taken a bike with me on an 18 wheeler when riding in a company big rig.

I commuted by bike on a set route for about 15 years teaching public school and another 4 years when I had a downtown office job.

trailmix 06-14-19 06:15 PM

My route is 1.7 to work and about 2.5 home due to route choice.

Kedosto 06-14-19 06:37 PM

About 11 miles going in.
About 17 miles going home.

I ride in through some pretty rough neighborhoods in Oakland but at 5:30 a.m. the crazies and gangbangers are mostly done for the night. It’s too risky to go back the same way in the evening, so I take a longer, safer way home.

-Kedosto

Reynolds 06-14-19 07:01 PM

6 miles each way, sometimes 15-20 miles round trip if I got other things to do.

beachball42 06-14-19 07:29 PM

I’m 7.5 miles home to office. There is construction scheduled that will make me have to take an alternate route at some point this summer and that is 9 miles.

Mista Sparkle 06-14-19 08:55 PM

Right at 20 here, trying to do 2-3 days a week but not there yet as I tend ti be rather weather dependent.

It might be interesting to see miles in a week or month as I would probably eiffe a lot more if I didn't have as far to go. 80-100 miles a week seems reasonable...

daoswald 06-14-19 09:34 PM

Home to light rail: 4.15 miles. Light rail to home: 5.33 miles (slightly different route). Work to home 2x/week: 18-21 miles depending on the route I take.

Elevation gain is the bigger factor: home to light rail, 13 feet. Light rail to home, 640 feet. Work to home 2x/week, 900 to 2200 feet depending on the route.

mcours2006 06-16-19 05:24 AM

Mine's 11.85 miles and 11.65 miles, to and from, respectively. It's just about the perfect distance for me to get enough of a workout on a daily basis without it getting tiresome on a daily basis. I have stretched the homeward 11.65 to 13+ if the wind is favourable.

NewATBikeComute 06-16-19 05:42 AM

Multi-modal; currently 7-8 miles, which is enjoyable, gets me focused for work, but not needing a shower when I get there. Fortunate, because we don't have showers.

My ideal job would be 10-12 miles from home, with showers.

Korina 06-16-19 12:08 PM

Eight miles, pretty much a straight line between two cities. Only other route option is 11 gorgeous miles of rolling hills, narrow to nonexistent shoulders, and high-speed traffic. I always take the shorter ride in the morning; once in a while I'll take the longer ride home, when I'm feeling strong (and lucky).

commo_soulja 06-18-19 09:52 AM

16.7 miles one way or a smidge over 33 miles round trip. A quarter of the trip is on MUP, most cutting through residential and commercial areas patching together. I don't do it daily, maybe three days a week depending on what I have on my plate for work and after and I want to have fresh legs for fun on the mountain bike on the weekends.

noglider 06-18-19 02:16 PM

I'm unemployed now, so I'm not a bike commuter in the strict sense. In my most recent job, it was 6.5 miles one way, and I did it pretty much every day because it's easy for me to do that.

At my previous job, it was 13.5 miles each way, so I could only do it two or three days a week.

downwinded 06-18-19 07:34 PM

Shortest, most direct route is 3.3mi. I add 1.25 to the morning trip occasionally. Once a week or so, my wife will meet me at my workplace when I'm leaving and we take a 8.5 mi loop back home.

Bizman 06-18-19 09:20 PM

Most of the time its 18 miles each way but if other work duties are required or shopping and or errands are involved it could be more or less than the 18 miles each way.