Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   anyone doing a july 4th ride? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=118582)

cryogenic 07-02-05 06:49 PM

Just curious if anyone here has any plans to do any major riding on the fourth or if you're just going to be spending it with family and whatnot. Our local bike club (smoky mountain wheelmen) has a get-together on the fourth but it's like 35 miles from my house and I don't have a car so I won't be able to attend. They do like a 30 mile ride or so and then regroup and go swimming at the lake, cookout, etc. My city is having a 4th of july festival that I plan on going to as well. I'm not sure if I'm even going to have time to go riding! :eek: Between getting off work at 2am, commuting home, sleeping 8 hrs, going out with my friend to a movie, going to the 4th of July festival, and then back to work at midnight that night... I'm not sure if I'm going to have time for an actual "pleasure" ride. :(

It'd be really nice if I had other cycling friends around here that I could hook up with for a quick 20 mile ride in the mid-afternoon or something :p

Guest 07-02-05 07:05 PM

Early morning ride planned so I can spend the day with family.

Koffee

2manybikes 07-02-05 07:14 PM

12 miles to Parade at 10 mph or less, with a million other people with lawn chairs and coolers, and 12 miles back. Lotsa fun though.

Time to parade by car from my house 2+ hours. Time by bike leaving later in the morning when car traffic is heavier. About 1 hour.

The Octopus 07-02-05 07:39 PM

Both. Doing an early-morning century and then off to a party in th afternoon fireworks in the evening. :D

cryogenic 07-02-05 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Octopus
Both. Doing an early-morning century and then off to a party in th afternoon fireworks in the evening. :D

I envy you... I might be able to get some mid-afternoon miles in... and then I'll get some miles in going from the festivities to work. However, that's not really pleasure riding, so to speak. I enjoy it and all but it's not the same as just riding around aimlessly with no time or distance constraints. Ya know?

Jakey 07-02-05 08:02 PM

Doing an 80 miler sunday.... then a group ride tuesday... then rest before seattle to portland.

KirkeIsWaiting 07-02-05 08:07 PM

I'm not leaving the island.
I'll do loop after loop.
Until I fall off of the bike.

bandaidman 07-02-05 08:08 PM

working

cryogenic 07-02-05 08:13 PM

I have to work midnight-8am on Monday morning and then Midnight - 8am on Tuesday morning... so I basically have from 8am-midnight to fit in the following things... Eating, riding, sleeping, movie, 4th of july festivities (fireworks, etc). This should be interesting.

el twe 07-02-05 08:16 PM

Probably a 10ish miler with the parents.

Chops83 07-02-05 08:57 PM

Metric century in the morning for me

661 07-02-05 09:12 PM

Hitting the road at 5am to test out some new lights then ride 'til it gets hot.

markwebb 07-02-05 09:23 PM

I am doing the "Sizzling 74" in Kokomo Indiana. Sizzling because it's hot this time of year and the 74 miles is for the date 7 - 4 July 4 Looks to have a few hundred riders and sponsored by LBS up there. They promised me the sag wagon carries lots of water !!!

Boogs 07-02-05 10:29 PM

Probably a 30-miler, maybe 50 or 60 if I'm feeling really wired.

Definitely in the morning,though.

bunnyrabbit 07-02-05 10:44 PM

Thinking about going from Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island (incl. Clinton Ferry). 100 mile-ish with some rolling vert, I guess. No victim (er... partner) 'cause I know like 2 other cyclists.

biketownblogger 07-02-05 10:44 PM

15-20 miler with local club in the early morning. Afternoon will be spent in my pool drinking beers and grilling.

neilG 07-02-05 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by bandaidman
working

Yeah, me too. Doctors and musicians have to work on the 4th. I'll get a ride in in the morning, a 50 miler.

sorebutt 07-03-05 12:07 AM

Yup! 2-3 hours in the hills of Livermore with my friend George.

burtonbiker 07-03-05 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by koffee brown
Early morning ride planned so I can spend the day with family.

Koffee

:) Going on early ride with riding buddy - I used to live in the Knoxville area - what a beautiful slice of heaven ! Envious of the local clubs ride thru mtns and then the dip in mtn lake..... but I learned to ride serious out here in TX so blooming where planted. We'll do anything from 35-55 miles early before 98 degrees hits, get back to little kids and wife and enjoy riders high rest of day ( along with some traditional "recovery drinks" at the pool)

RonH 07-03-05 07:40 AM

Of course I'll be riding. :) Have to wear my Giro Eclipse red, white, and blue helmet, DeFeet TeamUSA socks, Voler "Freedom to Ride" jersey, and navy blue Etxe Ondo bibs.

thelung 07-03-05 08:01 AM

Early morning before dumb asses have a chance to get drunk and run me over

Gojohnnygo. 07-03-05 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by thelung
Early morning before dumb asses have a chance to get drunk and run me over

You too, I have 40 miler planned early.

mirona 07-03-05 12:14 PM

My jersey and shorts are in the wash as we speak! In the morning I'm going mountain biking for a few hours with a friend, then it is off by myself to rock the road. I'm going to be all decked out in my red, white, and blue! Who's gonna want to hit such a patriotic poseur??? :D

Ostuni 07-03-05 01:40 PM

early morning before the thunderstorms crank up.... hope to do a pb of maybe 35 miles...