Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Those running a single brake lever: which side? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1076332)

TenSpeedV2 08-12-16 07:10 PM

Those running a single brake lever: which side?

Currently I am running a front brake with an All City cross lever on the left. I find myself when I carry stuff in hand on the bike (sometimes unavoidable - long story) I steer with my right hand as I am right hand dominant. Kind of thinking about flipping that lever over which will then be upside down and running it like that.

Those of you who do run a brake, which side? I saw a photo just now in the post a pic of your ride thread that got me thinking about it. Dude is running it on the right.

oouellette 08-12-16 07:39 PM

I don't run a brake, but when I do it's always on the right side, so you can still signal with your left hand.

prooftheory 08-12-16 07:50 PM

Right

TejanoTrackie 08-12-16 07:52 PM

It depends. If it's a cross lever near the stem, then on the left. If it's a hooded lever on a drop bar, or a mtb lever on a riser/flat bar next to the grip, then on the right.

SquidPuppet 08-12-16 08:01 PM

Right. Just like a motorcycle.

hairnet 08-12-16 09:06 PM

Moto style everything

Scrodzilla 08-12-16 09:13 PM

When I use just a front lever, it's on the left. Having you're left hand free to signal is useless in this city because everyone driving is looking at their phones instead of paying attention to bikes, pedestrians, other cars or anything else.

seau grateau 08-12-16 09:15 PM

Front to the left, right to the rear, always. I get confused otherwise. Plus I signal right with my right hand, because otherwise people just think I'm asking for a high five.

Unkle Rico 08-12-16 09:39 PM

Right side, front brake.

hardboiled718 08-12-16 09:40 PM

Run it on whatever side is comfortable.
I used to run it on the right because that's what was comfortable after riding motorcycle.
I always saw bikes with 2 brakes set up left/front, right/rear but with a fixed gear bike you only need one if any so which side it's on doesn't really matter.

TenSpeedV2 08-12-16 09:52 PM

Buddy of mine had me set it up on the left in case I panic grab the brake I will be less likely to go otb. On one hand I appreciate and understand that. On the other.......why not try the right? Gonna go swap it right now.

TejanoTrackie 08-13-16 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 (Post 18981738)
Buddy of mine had me set it up on the left in case I panic grab the brake I will be less likely to go otb. On one hand I appreciate and understand that. On the other.......why not try the right? Gonna go swap it right now.

Your bubby's logic is flawed. If you are right dominant, you have better control with your right hand than your left, so you can better modulate the brake force with your right hand.

TenSpeedV2 08-13-16 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 18982017)
Your bubby's logic is flawed. If you are right dominant, you have better control with your right hand than your left, so you can better modulate the brake force with your right hand.

I tend to agree with that. Swapped it over and really want to ride it today but storms are probably going to prohibit that.

REDMASTA 08-14-16 11:16 PM

I run only a front brake, have it on the left side. Mainly because my mtn bike which has two brakes is set up with the front brake on the left as well so keeps things the same. I had a motorbike for 8 years until it was stolen and the front brake was on the right though, so who knows. I never had an issue either way don't think it matters.

TenSpeedV2 08-14-16 11:46 PM

Did a few rides with it so far and it felt alright. Taking a bit to get used to and only forgot once that I moved it.

GENESTARWIND 08-16-16 07:28 AM

Left hand is for the clutch!

wphamilton 08-16-16 07:42 AM

It doesn't matter. Left like a road bike, right like a motorcycle, if there were any overarching reason one was better then they'd all be the same.

Carcosa 08-16-16 07:52 AM

^ This.

Personal preference. My dominant hand is right so right it is.

Happy to have helped inspire the thread (maybe?).

ceelint 08-16-16 09:46 AM

I have mine on the left, cable bend isn't as tight

SquidPuppet 08-16-16 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by GENESTARWIND (Post 18988188)
Left hand is for the clutch!

I like this answer the best!!

Originally Posted by wphamilton (Post 18988214)
It doesn't matter. Left like a road bike, right like a motorcycle, if there were any overarching reason one was better then they'd all be the same.

But this one is the truth.

Jixr 08-16-16 10:06 AM

coming from the motorcycle world, front brake is always on the right for me.

Leukybear 08-16-16 11:13 AM

Left for me

seau grateau 08-16-16 11:49 AM

The cable enters the caliper on the right side, so a cable routed from the left facilitates a more gentle contour for a better braking line.

ThermionicScott 08-16-16 11:52 AM

Left for me, I've never cared to switch all my bikes around for some kind of Euro or "I used to ride motorcycles" cred. Since it's a fixed-gear, I'm still able to do all the signalling I need with either hand.

frankenmike 08-16-16 04:00 PM

Right side, because sheldon.