Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Thoughts on Diamondback Podium Vitesse Disc? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1101210)

DeanRM 07-15-18 07:50 PM

I bought a Podium E'tape (non-disc version) about 3 weeks ago, really like the bike so far! The ride is great, handles great, and is nice and light!

I measured the width of the Ultra Sport II tires on mine (700x23) and they measure 27mm wide. The rims are 25mm wide. Not much clearance from the top of the tire to the top of the fork or brake mount on the rear. Would definitely have to check the tire manufacture's sizes if I wanted to change tire sizes to see what would fit.

My 56cm weighs 17.5# without pedals. I installed 105 pedals, and the bike now weighs 18.0#.

One thing you might want to check. With my 105 crank, the crank bolts on the left crank arm that attach to the bottom bracket axel were not tightened to spec, you might want to check yours. I used a torque wrench to get them to the spec listed on Shimano's website. I checked it before I rode it, so I do not know if I would have noticed it when riding.

My rims continue to be true and all spokes feel equal tension as measured by squeezing them with my hand.

Does anyone know why Diamondback changed the seatpost clamp from the non-disc version (integral wedge) to the disc version (clamp)? I have the integral wedge and it seems to be working fine so far. Also, no cable rattles on the inside of my frame tubes that I have been able to detect so far.

noodle soup 07-15-18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by DeanRM (Post 20449658)

Does anyone know why Diamondback changed the seatpost clamp from the non-disc version (integral wedge) to the disc version (clamp)? I have the integral wedge and it seems to be working fine so far.

Wedge designs tend to be less secure, and can lead to cracks in the frame. I'm not saying that this is why Diamondback made the change. It's just something that I've seen with the wedge design in general.

DeanRM 07-15-18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 20449674)
Wedge designs tend to be less secure, and can lead to cracks in the frame. I'm not saying that this is why Diamondback made the change. It's just something that I've seen with the wedge design in general.

I can definitely see that as a potential issue and that was my initial concern. I did not realize that they had changed until after I bought this bike. Let's hope for the best!
Thanks for your reply!
Dean

Lazyass 07-16-18 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by DeanRM (Post 20449658)
One thing you might want to check. With my 105 crank, the crank bolts on the left crank arm that attach to the bottom bracket axel were not tightened to spec, you might want to check yours.

Same with mine. I probably would have lost them on the first ride if I hadn't checked. I could unscrew them with my fingers.

Lazyass 08-14-18 04:06 AM

I didn't like how short the tips of the bars are so I bought a pair of Control Tech 20mm bar extensions. Rewrapped with Newbaums cotton tape which is my favorite. Best grip even when wet, the stock tape was way too slippery. Now they're perfect.

https://image.ibb.co/m6rRt9/IMG_20180813_145329.jpg

MSignore 09-04-18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 20505351)
I didn't like how short the tips of the bars are so I bought a pair of Control Tech 20mm bar extensions. Rewrapped with Newbaums cotton tape which is my favorite. Best grip even when wet, the stock tape was way too slippery. Now they're perfect.

https://image.ibb.co/m6rRt9/IMG_20180813_145329.jpg

nice. I swapped out my 44cm stock bars for a 40cm zipp handlebar with the flat top section. Feels better, looks good and was only $44 plus tape.

jam7958 04-17-19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by MSignore (Post 20440021)

thanks. One thing to note on the rim brake version in case deals pop up again and people are considering. The rim brake version couldn’t fit 28mm Conti 4ks on the rear with the wide wheels. Even the 25mm barely brushed when the wheel had some wobble in it but would have been ok if wheel was perfectly true. The 25mm rubino pros fit with enough room though as that tire doesn’t sit as tall as the Continental.

Hello! I am looking to buy a podium rim brake frame set, but I want to make sure that it would fit cont gp4000 25mm since they are my favorite tire. I use prime 50mm and Mavic SRL wheel set. Any thoughts would be welcome

pickettt 04-17-19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by jam7958 (Post 20888267)
Hello! I am looking to buy a podium rim brake frame set, but I want to make sure that it would fit cont gp4000 25mm since they are my favorite tire. I use prime 50mm and Mavic SRL wheel set. Any thoughts would be welcome

I have a Podium 7, running 25mm Schwalbe One with plenty of room. I believe the Schwalbe 25mm to be wider than the Continental gp4000 25mm on a given width rim.

Esthetic 04-17-19 08:26 PM

The rear is super picky with 25c 's, make sure they are of the shorter variety. Check rolling resistance data on tire height.

Only had luck with Hutchinson's and Giant Gavia 25c tires, my Schwalbe Pro One's on Boyd Altamont wheels were too tall .

Here's mine with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galaktics .
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fb62bdde3d.jpg

motosonic 04-18-19 06:36 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b69a377e60.jpg
I have a Rally/UHC Team Podium and I'm running Conti 4-seasons in 25 on the back and it's fine. As you can see in the pic above, IMHO it's the front that's super picky. I'm pretty sure my tires come a little closer to the frame than that. But they still fit. lol

MSignore 04-19-19 04:20 AM

I made my original post just for this reason. If they are wide wheels similar to the stock ones, then the 25mm GP4ks rub the underneath of the brake bridge on the rear. Perhaps if the wheel was 100% true, it wouldn’t rub at all, but the margin of error would be so tiny. Other 25mm tires do fit, including Rubinos, gatorskins and 4seasons.
I wish there was more clearance as The 25mm 4ks were also my tire of choice, but the Rubinos have proven to be much more durable and no slouch. I would like to ride 28mm on some of these awful roads but there is no way that is happening on this frame.

Esthetic 04-19-19 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MSignore (Post 20891213)
I made my original post just for this reason. If they are wide wheels similar to the stock ones, then the 25mm GP4ks rub the underneath of the brake bridge on the rear. Perhaps if the wheel was 100% true, it wouldn’t rub at all, but the margin of error would be so tiny. Other 25mm tires do fit, including Rubinos, gatorskins and 4seasons.
I wish there was more clearance as The 25mm 4ks were also my tire of choice, but the Rubinos have proven to be much more durable and no slouch. I would like to ride 28mm on some of these awful roads but there is no way that is happening on this frame.

Same experience. I cant run any of my choice tires, let alone the kind of volume I enjoy on my other bikes.

jordanair45 04-21-19 11:49 AM

I don't see this bike for sale anymore. Does anyone know if DB is planning on releasing a new version?

I just gave mine a full tune up since the riding season has started and man, what a fun bike to ride.