Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Those danged distracting headphones! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=142761)

Paul L. 09-30-05 11:07 AM

Those danged distracting headphones!

I got into work this morning and realized I had worn my headphones and MP3 player all the way just like I was listening to them but I had forgotten to turn them on. Must have been distracted by the traffic! :)

Cromulent 09-30-05 12:26 PM

That's funny. Is the music in your head set on shuffle?

Paul L. 09-30-05 12:38 PM

No it was talk radio but there was only one guy talking thankfully.

tkiisel 09-30-05 04:21 PM

So was it a monologue or a conversation?

Paul L. 09-30-05 04:42 PM

Conversation actually. Hmmm, wonder what this bodes........

Walkafire 09-30-05 04:43 PM

ok since you brought it up....

Is it easy to load up a MP3 Player?
Can you get them very small?
Is there a Radio with a MP3?

I am thinking I make the plunge into buying one.

Powerful Pete 09-30-05 04:51 PM

Goodness me. Yes, it is easy to 'load up' music, the players can be miniscule, and it makes riding flats a heck of lot better! :)

Check out some site like http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/2001-6...tag=cnetfd.dir to begin to develop the knowledge you need to spend some money on an mp3 player!

Happy riding and... listening!

ItsJustMe 09-30-05 05:25 PM

I like my Creative Zen Micro (5GB). I bought my wife an iPod mini last year. It's nice too. The iPod nano is tempting but I'm nervous about the display issues they're having; seems they are NOT DURABLE at all. All in all I think I'd buy another Zen right now. They're very tough; I feel pretty confident that I could drop it on the road and have it skitter along at 30 MPH, pick it up and have it still work fine.

My biggest gripe is that I really want an FM radio, and it seems that every radio built into an MP3 player is junk; I have one (an old GPX) that only picks up the absolute strongest station on the dial around here (which thankfully happens to be the NPR station which is all I listen to, but still...) I can buy a $10 radio that far outperforms the radio in my $200 MP3 player. Doesn't seem right.

Paul L. 09-30-05 06:28 PM

I have the Rio Cali and I like it because it takes MMC cards so you can upgrade the size if you want or you can use memory cards like giant CDs and store different type of music on them. Of course I mean giant in terms of storing songs, I can put a couple of hundred on mine. Some you could fit thousands on. The actual size of the card is like 2 cm by 1.5 cm and probably a few mm thick. Great investement, doesn't skip when you bounce it either.

eaamon 10-01-05 05:39 PM

Hi!
I would get a good quality player. I own a 10 gig ipod for over a year getting me over 8 hours continuous playback and you may not need the radio. there are podcast you can download and listen to it clearly. there are many free shows for the downloading though I haven't done the automatic podcast e-mailing yet where the show is sent to you daily to your email and I guess it is sent into the itunes program with a click. but if you had the itunes program I just drag a mp3 and drop it into the library or radio folder in the program. when I plug in my ipod it updates it automatically and it deletes older unwanted programs as I choose.

Evolution-06 10-02-05 08:02 AM

i dont trust the traffic enough to wear headphones and ride at the same time.

Rails and Trails commuting paths, i am all about the mp3's tho.

New2Cycling 10-02-05 08:07 AM

This is a bit off topic, but Paul L. I notice that your avatar is a recumbant (sp?) Do you actually commute to work on a recumbant?

Paul L. 10-02-05 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by New2Cycling
This is a bit off topic, but Paul L. I notice that your avatar is a recumbant (sp?) Do you actually commute to work on a recumbant?

I commute on a Bacchetta Strada with a carbon seat. Got forced the way of the recumbent from a back problem that developed on a 400k ride in the spring. Since my commute is flat as a pancake it has actually upped my speed a bit and reduced the commute time. (I go 25 miles one way, usually get a ride home though),