Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Oakley Split Jacket sunglasses night time lens suggestions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=861727)

landdnl 12-09-12 02:05 AM

Oakley Split Jacket sunglasses night time lens suggestions

I never wear sunglasses when I'm riding, but now that the temperatures are going to be dropping(probably), I'm looking at the oakley split jacket sunglasses(with wind gasket accessory), and wondering what lens to get for night riding? My ski goggles seem too bulky to use unless it gets extremely cold.

miyata man 12-09-12 02:59 AM

The answer should have been clear long before you posted this. Is that clear? Clear it is then.

Bob Dopolina 12-09-12 04:12 AM

I use orange.

It takes the edge off of any car lights or other lights but brings up the road surface so you can see changes in the surface or anything else noteworthy.

landdnl 12-09-12 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 15031048)
The answer should have been clear long before you posted this. Is that clear? Clear it is then.

Do you have to be so cryptic? I guess for you the answer is as clear as night and day. Thanks for clearing this up for me. Ok, I'm done. Thanks for the help. Now all I have to do is find some for less than $200.

NWS Alpine 12-09-12 11:58 AM

Oakley clear or persimmon lenses

RUOkie 12-09-12 12:03 PM

I use the yellow lenses that came with my split jackets. For the same reason bdop mentioned

tcwayne 12-09-12 04:05 PM

Yella fella!!

Nachoman 12-09-12 09:40 PM

yellow or persimmon. also will be useful at dusk and dawn.

vwchad 12-10-12 11:37 AM

I also use the yellow lenses that came with my Jawbones. In low light it is like having headlights built into your eyes. I was actually surprised at how much brighter and clearer they make things.

TrojanHorse 12-10-12 11:52 AM

I think the persimmon lenses are pretty dark for night riding... they block about 50% of the light if I recall. I've used them and it was OK with two headlights that were theoretically 1600 lumens each (cough) but anything outside the headlight pool was dark as a tootsie roll. Not ideal. They work great for rides that start at dawn or dusk and take you into full daylight - 50% is tolerable when it's bright out.

Tifosi makes a photochromatic lens that goes from 25%-75%, I think I'm going to try that out if I can find a set that fit my large head.

NWS Alpine 12-10-12 12:12 PM

If it's really dark with no street lighting then yes the persimmon may be too dark. You have to be careful with transitions lenses in cold temps as they tend to not work. That being said if you start out with them in a dark place and they remain light then it would be fine.

I have racing jackets with various lenses but I also have some Tag Heuer photochromic lenses for golf that work well for cycling too. Tag shields are really nice and they now have a new night specific photochromic lens.

I also think Oakley has a clear lens with an iridium tint meant for indoor sports that help knock down glare from artificial lighting.

Jfitalia 12-10-12 12:17 PM

Why not spend less and get some from tifosi or from native for 1/3 the price.

Creatre 12-10-12 01:07 PM

I use yellow with my Radar's but I would prefer clear, just haven't gotten around to ordering any yet. The yellow makes it hard to see the road when there is a yellow light ahead, it like blends together. It's hard to describe. But any halogen headlight basically blinds me from seeing the road. When I've used clear in the past headlights are a bit brighter, but they don't obscure my vision like the yellows.

VegasVic 12-11-12 12:58 AM

Any shooting glasses will also work great for <$15.

http://www.basspro.com/Shooting-Shoo...z0ux5iZ1z0xajf

I <3 Robots 12-11-12 03:29 AM

I have the Transitions lens in my Jawbones...they work day and night.

miyata man 12-11-12 06:45 AM

Oakley used to make a clear lens with yellow coating and it was universally declared the most worthless lens they made. Yellow and persimmon work better in dappled light like inside a forest or under heavy cloud cover.

TrojanHorse 12-13-12 01:03 AM

It seems that some Bolle specs are on sale for about $99 with photochromatic lenses that go from clear to some shade of light gray - I bought a set today, i'll post an update if they're good.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/BOLYFN7Q

amazon has them for about $120.

Jfitalia 12-16-12 06:51 PM

Has anyone tried the fire red lenses that oakley has? I also have a pair of the flak jackets but need to buy lenses for my low light conditions.

RedHerring 12-16-12 08:25 PM

Clear

Biscayne05 12-17-12 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by I <3 Robots (Post 15037473)
I have the Transitions lens in my Jawbones...they work day and night.

I have Transitions on my riding glasses and I also have it on one of my daily/work eyeglasses.

They're awesome.

TJKnight 12-17-12 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Biscayne05 (Post 15060810)
I have Transitions on my riding glasses and I also have it on one of my daily/work eyeglasses.

They're awesome.

transitions FTW