Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Trainers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=865789)

fatpunk 01-04-13 03:33 PM

Trainers

So I work 24 to 48 hours in a row with 1 or 2 days off before I go back to work. It doesn't leave me with a lot of time to get my training rides in. I'm contemplating picking up a trainer so I can at least do some training on my down time at work. What's everyone's feelings about them? The thought of pedaling no where fast doesn't appeal to me but at the same time sitting around and watching TV waiting for the next call doesn't sit too well with me either.

Any particular brand or style better than the other?

VegasVic 01-04-13 03:38 PM

I had a CycleOps Fluid trainer before I moved to Phoenix, I don't need one now. :p

No issues with it, just pedal away for a hour so while watching TV, boring as hell, but better than nothing.

magohn 01-04-13 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by VegasVic (Post 15119898)
I had a CycleOps Fluid trainer before I moved to Phoenix, I don't need one now. :p

No issues with it, just pedal away for a hour so while watching TV, boring as hell, but better than nothing.

+1 - No complaints with the Cycleops Fluid 2 after a bunch of miles.

My setup:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=magohn

kc0bbq 01-04-13 05:08 PM

I have the cheapie CycleOps wind trainer and it is solid as a rock, it just is making my ears bleed.

Need to stop down at my LBS and order a Fluid2 resistance unit and upgrade.

CliftonGK1 01-04-13 05:20 PM

I'm an advocate for rollers, to get the balance and "real feel" of riding while training.
Barring the desire for the learning curve involved with riding rollers, the Kurt Kinetic Rock 'n' Roll trainer does an alright job of letting the bike bob around to mimic real riding.

vesteroid 01-04-13 05:25 PM

If I were just going to buy a standard trainer (one with no electronic features)....this : Kurt Kinetic. I have seen more positive feedback on this model than most of the other models combined. Oddly enough two of the lbs here use them for the saturday morning training sessions in the winter as well.

they have even just released a little upgrade thing to make it a power based trainer, and its way cheaper than a computrainer.

youcoming 01-04-13 05:27 PM

If you can only get one a trainer is more versatile in the fact that you get a more structured workout and have the ability to increase tension. On the other hand I'm a huge roller guy, I have just a cheapo set of small drum straight rollers and if you ride them enough you can stand on them. They are great for increasing ones ability to spin and increases bike handling which in turn increases speed on the road.

magohn 01-04-13 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 (Post 15120277)
I'm an advocate for rollers, to get the balance and "real feel" of riding while training.
Barring the desire for the learning curve involved with riding rollers, the Kurt Kinetic Rock 'n' Roll trainer does an alright job of letting the bike bob around to mimic real riding.

I 'think' the KKRR has a weight limit of 300lbs. As I purchased my trainer at 295lbs, when researching, I did not want to chance snapping the RR functionality. Also, the KK takes longer to setup than the Cycleops. The Cycleops lets me mount/dismount my bike in seconds. The KK is a little more involved.

Cycleops 2 - the quick release system is awesome. I can mount/dismount in 10 seconds or less if I want to ride outside.

http://i49.tinypic.com/mjbxf.jpg

ill.clyde 01-07-13 10:00 AM

I'd love a Kurt Kenetic ... but my current one is a Blackburn.

I'm also hoping to get rollers later this year for next winter

LocoCycle 01-07-13 01:14 PM

I was thinking of starting a new post....thanks I don't have to. So speaking of trainers...I just got a CycleOps Wind trainer. I was getting tired of the rain and etc stoppping me from at least doing somekind of riding. I have now used it three times...the biggest challenge is the not going anywhere part. But I am no different that anyone else...the mileage numbers are very important to me. How do you guys track your mileage when on a trainer? At this point I am riding for no more than 30 min without stopping...so i am thinking this has to be the same as my 30 min mileage numbers on a real ride? I might pick up another mount for my wireless computer and mount it on the back wheel and frame. Just curious how other are tracking themselves.

magohn 01-07-13 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by LocoCycle (Post 15130019)
I was thinking of starting a new post....thanks I don't have to. So speaking of trainers...I just got a CycleOps Wind trainer. I was getting tired of the rain and etc stoppping me from at least doing somekind of riding. I have now used it three times...the biggest challenge is the not going anywhere part. But I am no different that anyone else...the mileage numbers are very important to me. How do you guys track your mileage when on a trainer? At this point I am riding for no more than 30 min without stopping...so i am thinking this has to be the same as my 30 min mileage numbers on a real ride? I might pick up another mount for my wireless computer and mount it on the back wheel and frame. Just curious how other are tracking themselves.

I use my Garmin 705. It has a cadence pickup on the back wheel. As Im in the garage, I 'cancel' the GPS search and the 705 then works like a regular wireless comp.

brawlo 01-07-13 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by LocoCycle (Post 15130019)

From what you said, I'm guessing you have a separate bike in your trainer compared to your regular road bike? If that's the case then just buy a wired computer. You can get them for $10 over here or I bought one with cadence for $30. If you still use the trainer bike on the road, then another sensor might be your most practical bet.

laxpatrick 01-08-13 01:51 AM

Had a CycleOps fluid, it leaked and ruined some carpet. Now riding 1upUSA, made here in WI, quiet and well designed with a stellar warranty...

LocoCycle 01-08-13 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by brawlo (Post 15132138)
From what you said, I'm guessing you have a separate bike in your trainer compared to your regular road bike? If that's the case then just buy a wired computer. You can get them for $10 over here or I bought one with cadence for $30. If you still use the trainer bike on the road, then another sensor might be your most practical bet.

yes currently I am using my road bike in the trainer. But that is going to change this weekend...you might have a good idea about getting a wired computer for the trainer bike.

Thanks

BionicChris 01-08-13 08:39 AM

I can identify with the OP - I work an 11 hour shift 2-3 days in a row, then 1 or 2 off, leaving in the dark and getting home in the dark.

If it wasn't for my trainer I would cycle 2 days a week maximum if the weather is good.

sstorkel 01-08-13 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by vesteroid (Post 15120297)
If I were just going to buy a standard trainer (one with no electronic features)....this : Kurt Kinetic. I have seen more positive feedback on this model than most of the other models combined. Oddly enough two of the lbs here use them for the saturday morning training sessions in the winter as well.

they have even just released a little upgrade thing to make it a power based trainer, and its way cheaper than a computrainer.

I own a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer and think it is very well-made. That said, I rarely use it: it's just too painfully boring.

The Kurt Kinetic power computer is a joke... unless they've changed it since I last looked at it? The one I remember measured your speed, made some assumptions about how much power was required to reach that speed, did a little multiplication and displayed the result. You can find the calculation on their website, print out some numbers with Excel, and save yourself $80.