Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Single ring upgrade (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1162650)

thehammerdog 12-21-18 09:50 AM

Single ring upgrade

In effort to make my old gary fisher HT bike more funner and to avoid $1,000 expenditure for new i wanted to go single ring switch roo.
who rides this style and will it sux or not.
not an expensive upgrade for cranks snd cassette package

thehammerdog 12-21-18 09:53 AM

Here is photo

Kapusta 12-21-18 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 20713970)
In effort to make my old gary fisher HT bike more funner and to avoid $1,000 expenditure for new i wanted to go single ring switch roo.
who rides this style and will it sux or not.
not an expensive upgrade for cranks snd cassette package

Your last two sentences make little sense. What exactly are you asking?

And are you looking to replace the whole drivetrain with 1x11, or just convert what you have, keepinng your middle ring? The latter can be done very cheaply, but won’t have the range of the former.

The general question of 1x vs 3x is being discusssd to death right now in a thread in the General forum, and 1x vs 2x vs 3x is discussed often.

Also, if you want meaningful answers, tell us what kind of riding you do. All trail/singletrack, or do you do a lot of road miles as well? That makes a big difference.

Dannihilator 12-21-18 01:05 PM

How many gears on the back, to pull of a 1x setup, you kind of need a wider range cassette amongst other things.

Maelstrom 12-21-18 04:07 PM

Yes possible, you lose some range. I do know there is a way to extend the range on a normal cassette but that would be a bit more cost. I had a "mountain ring" mounted to mine to give me a little more ease for pedaling up the mountains

And yes, I run 1x on all my bikes now.

Steve B. 12-21-18 06:58 PM

If you want to save money, just take off whatever rings you don’t need. Unless you are doing a major gearing overhaul. Well, maybe your not. Yet. Yuk, yuk.

thehammerdog 12-21-18 07:20 PM

Goal is to go new single crank set new large gear cassettes currently 9 speed hope to just go 1 up front

Kapusta 12-21-18 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 20714698)
Goal is to go new single crank set new large gear cassettes currently 9 speed hope to just go 1 up front

So you want to go 10 or 11 speed in the rear?

That is going to mean a new shifter and rear derailleur ad well.

Probably do not need a new crank, just a new chainring.

In order to tell you if you are going to like 1x, or which setup to go with, you need to tell us what are the highest and lowest gear combos you currently use.

Steve B. 12-22-18 11:09 AM

Can your rear wheel take an 11 cassette ?

The whole concept of 1X is based on the use of 11 or 12 spd. cassettes to gain the range lost by losing the front triple. You have a rear wheel that has a 9 currently ?, so you need to determine if you can shove an 11 on the hub. I know that 9 spd. road hubs cannot accept 11, not sure if mt. hubs have that same limitation. Than and as Kapusta stated, you will need a new rear shifter and rear derailed, plus a chain, plus the new crank and bottom bracket, and maybe want to add some chain keepers.

fietsbob 12-22-18 11:14 AM

3 - 2 = 1

Got a triple? take off inner and outer and you have a single ring, left in the center.. ...

Option: a bash guard in place of the outer..

hig4s 12-22-18 01:22 PM

on my 3x9 trail bike I went 1x9 wtih a wide ratio 11-40 cassette and an 32t oval, narrow wide chain ring, and I am pretty happy with it. Still ride it regularly. But it does not really compare to my 1x12 Eagle set up on my enduro bike.

thehammerdog 12-31-18 09:12 PM

I wents with a 36 single front ring and bought a new 9 speed cassette 12-34 so I will may be limited in climbs but should be fine 90% of the time.