Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Hamstring Problems (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=77191)

netso 11-30-04 01:12 PM

Hamstring Problems

I have had a sore hamstring for almost 6 months. It has really bothered my riding, after about 10-12 miles it starts hurting. This has really slowed me down. I cannot seem to mend the hamstring. Any suggestions? I used to be a competitive bodybuilder in my younger days, hamstrings used to heal in a few weeks.
Stan :)

DnvrFox 11-30-04 02:12 PM

Are you still riding?

If so, I would suggest, if you haven't already, that you have someone expert in bike fitting look at your bike fit. Perhaps you continue to irritate the HS. How could it heal, if it is continually being injured?

Otherwise, have it checked by a sports orthopedist MD.

tulip 11-30-04 02:53 PM

I agree--sounds like a potential bike fit problem. Also, do you stretch? That helps, if you do it correctly (slowly, no bouncing, pain does not equal gain). Biking works the quads more than the 'strings, so strengthening the 'strings by walking or weights might help. Check the bike fit first, though.

nnewton123 11-30-04 09:17 PM

Also, try to get a deep tissue massage. Sometimes scar tissue lays down the wrong way and nothing will really fix it except for some thumbs digging in there and straightening them out. If that's the case, you will feel almost completely 'healed' right afterwards!

netso 12-02-04 08:14 AM

I still ride, had a bike fit done, but no massage. I will try this next. I go to the gym, and do stretches. I was relating the poor healing to "old age".

Garfield Cat 12-05-04 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by netso
I have had a sore hamstring for almost 6 months. It has really bothered my riding, after about 10-12 miles it starts hurting. This has really slowed me down. I cannot seem to mend the hamstring. Any suggestions? I used to be a competitive bodybuilder in my younger days, hamstrings used to heal in a few weeks.
Stan :)

The type of stretch that works for me is with a rope like a jump rope or even a towel. I lie flat on my back and put the rope on the bottom of one foot while wrapping the ends of the rope with both hands. This is like a stirrup used in horseback riding. I raise the leg simultaneously pulling on the rope to bring the leg up to 90 degrees or even more. I hold that position for a while till it hurts a little. You don't want to create too much pain by this prolonged position, just enough to do a stretch.

To add additional tension, while you do this on one leg, the passive leg can be lifted off the ground like 12 inches. This will create a different stretch on different muscles.

I do this stretch on both legs prior to any bike ride. I do this in repititions of maybe 3 or 4 with a different stretch inbetween. The other stretch is just to try to do the splits with both legs going to the left and right as you support your weight with your arms and hands as if you're doing push ups.

After these stretches, you will be able to stand up and touch your toes or the ground with ease.

The other exercise I like doing is for the stomach muscles, the abs. Its a copy of the Pilates where you lie on the back and bring one knee at a time up to your chest and try touching the knee with the opposite elbow while the hand is near your ear. I do 50 of these before a ride. I think road bike riding depends a lot on the strength of the stomach muscles.

DXchulo 12-05-04 01:22 PM

Have you tried taking it easy for a while to let it fully recover?

Diggy18 12-05-04 02:53 PM

I sympathize netso. I had some muscle or other sore in the back of my thigh forever. In fact, that's what finally moved me to biking instead of running. Now it never bothers me.

It takes a long freakin time for those muscles to heal. Maybe if possible you should try doing another exercise besides biking for about 4 to 6 weeks. How about swimming at the gym? Jumping rope?

offtheback 12-18-04 09:32 PM

Are you takin statin meds? They can cause this problem.