Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   A New Tandem Team Joins the Ranks (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=422587)

bh357 05-26-08 04:32 PM

A New Tandem Team Joins the Ranks

My wife and I picked up our first tandem this past weekend, a (looks to be) mid '90s Trek T50 hybrid in excellent condition.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1493_small.jpg

Yesterday we did a bit of riding around the neighborhood to get the feel of things. It took us a few attempts to get moving, but once we figured it out we were riding relatively smoothly in short order.

Today we headed out to a local rail-trail. We put in just over 23 miles and seemed to work very well as a team. We both enjoyed it.

brewer45 05-26-08 04:52 PM

Welcome and happy riding!

Cheers!

Smooooth 05-26-08 07:30 PM

The more the merrier :lol:

You will find great information on this forum.

Enjoy.

zonatandem 05-26-08 07:58 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy the ride TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

SambaMixte 05-26-08 08:04 PM

Good looking ride and sounds like you are starting out great! Enjoy!

bh357 05-27-08 09:46 AM

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. Our goal is to be proficient and comfortable enough to take the tandem on Pedal Across Lower Michigan (PALM) in late June. This is a 6 day bicycle tour across the state of Michigan, averaging about 45 miles per day.
The biggest things we need to work on, as agreed by the both of us, are getting comfortable enough in the handling to ride comfortably with traffic and getting the fit dialed in. For the fit, we are replacing both handlebars (risers for her - she's coming from a comfort bike, and On-One Mary bars for me), and then general fine tuning of saddle and bar position.
We figured out pretty quickly that we don't do well with her being on the bike to start. We had great success with having our right feet on the pedals (in the power position), and both kicking off with our left feet.
I only missed calling out one major bump, and it caught me by suprise even. There were a lot of little chatter bumps that got annoying after a while (due to the fact the rail-trail is shared with horses). My wife doesn't care for the motion of a suspension seatpost, but I'm thinking we may try a sprung saddle for her.

deanack 05-27-08 10:33 AM

Welcome!!
Were are you located? There is a large group of Tandems in Troy area.

mjohn 05-27-08 10:40 AM

Welcome! and Enjoy!

Be sure to get some photos in the "Happy Tandem Couples" thread

bh357 05-27-08 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by deanack (Post 6767854)
Welcome!!
Were are you located? There is a large group of Tandems in Troy area.

We're up in Imlay City. Yesterday we rode the Polly Ann Trail from Leonard south to Lake Orion and back.

bh357 06-27-08 02:49 PM

We wrapped up PALM earlier today. Roughly 260 miles spread out between 6 days. Everything went well, and in fact towards the end of the 2nd day my wife commented that she was "darn glad we had the tandem". She was getting pretty tired by that point.
By the 3rd day, she was comfortable enough where she was taking pictures while riding.

merlinextraligh 06-27-08 03:05 PM

Good work

scube 06-30-08 06:45 AM

We just sold our T-50, purchased it last year. It was our first tandem, and we were the third owners. We rode it about 1,200 miles. It is an excellent entry level bike. We did a fair amount of riding in the mountains of NC, VT, and NH. The bike performed well. We did add an Arai drag brake, suspension stoker post, and Brooks saddles. We sold the bike for not much less than what we paid for it. We only sold it because we found a good deal on a used CoMotion. Enjoy!

JanMM 06-30-08 08:54 AM

Just remember: The stoker is always right.
Glad to see our KHS isn't the only tandem with very-slightly-out-of-phase cranks. I'm gonna work on that one of these days.
Have fun.