Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bike suggestions for bikejoring (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172844)

borzoid 05-12-19 07:12 PM

Bike suggestions for bikejoring

Hi there, I hope this is the right forum to post in! I know very little about bikes and am looking to get into bikejoring casually, which is essentially sled-dogging but with a bike instead!

I'm finding very little practical information online about what bike would work best. I would mostly be riding on bikepaths and trails, and wouldn't be doing anything extreme. I'm short (5'4) but not at my best weight at the moment so I'm not sure what bike would work best. Because I'm only planning to ride casually and every weekend or second, I'm really hoping not to spend more than $500. I'd also love some suggestions of bikes I could get secondhand!

Thank you so much :)

JanMM 05-12-19 07:32 PM

Had never heard of bikejoring - and have not seen discussion of it on BF. But perhaps others have.

cb400bill 05-12-19 07:35 PM

bikejor.com

Bikejoring is riding a bike with dogs pulling you. (Instead of a bike you can also use a dog scooter).

http://www.bikejor.com/_/rsrc/132473...=280&width=320

good4u 05-12-19 07:39 PM

Wait. You want dogs to pull you on the bike?

CAT7RDR 05-12-19 07:49 PM

I did this on a skateboard with my Irish Setter as a kid. What a blast!

Trust me. Try it on a skateboard.

2manybikes 05-12-19 07:52 PM

Try to draft an ambulance.

trainsktg 05-12-19 09:16 PM

Imagine the possibilities when a bikejorers gets chased by dogs.

Keith

UniChris 05-12-19 09:32 PM

Squirrel

Darth Lefty 05-12-19 09:46 PM

The author at the above link recommends a bike that can be "dragged along," and no bike is really designed for that. He also says get an old mountain bike, which sounds like the right idea. Or maybe an old BMX or beach cruiser. Old, anyhow, and disposable

livedarklions 05-12-19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 20926890)
Squirrel

You should try this with a unicycle, assuming you have good health insurance.

Probably just one very little dog just to be safe.

borzoid 05-12-19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 20926912)
The author at the above link recommends a bike that can be "dragged along," and no bike is really designed for that. He also says get an old mountain bike, which sounds like the right idea. Or maybe an old BMX or beach cruiser. Old, anyhow, and disposable

Great, thank you, that works for me! :)

UniChris 05-12-19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 20926926)
You should try this with a unicycle

I only ride fixies

Pretty sure you want a freewheel for this

rollagain 05-12-19 10:56 PM

Delta trike?

subgrade 05-13-19 05:41 AM

For competitive bikejoring you would definitely want an MTB, maybe a CX bike could work too; in any case it must be easily maneuverable and have good, reliable brakes.

indyfabz 05-13-19 05:44 AM

E-Bikejoring is the future of cycling.

honcho 05-13-19 07:28 AM

25 years ago when we lived in interior Alaska, in the summertime we would occasionally see dog teams being exercised / trained while attached to a quad (four wheeled) ATV. A mountain or fat bike would probably work very well for skijoring

bark_eater 05-13-19 08:16 AM

I got to try a wheeled summer training sled pulled by a small team of dogs. Fast, Fast, Faster, Sketchfactor Five Fun!

Wildwood 05-13-19 09:52 AM

A bike with very good brakes? And a light anchor.

tyrion 05-13-19 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20927165)

Indeed.

Ironfish653 05-13-19 10:16 AM

An old MTB would work pretty well. Big tires, and maybe a suspension fork, because you won't have a lot of time/choice to avoid small obstacles like ruts / sticks / rocks. Good brakes, especially the back brake; hand-brake, instead of coaster, so you can put your feet out / down while still operating the brakes.

What kind of dog(s) are going to be pulling? What kind of other bike riding experience do you have?

Since it sounds like you don't already have a bike, second hand will be a good way to go. Check your local area's Craigslist, there are always deals to be had.

tyrion 05-13-19 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by borzoid (Post 20926703)
Hi there, I hope this is the right forum to post in! I know very little about bikes and am looking to get into bikejoring casually, which is essentially sled-dogging but with a bike instead!

I'm finding very little practical information online about what bike would work best. I would mostly be riding on bikepaths and trails, and wouldn't be doing anything extreme. I'm short (5'4) but not at my best weight at the moment so I'm not sure what bike would work best. Because I'm only planning to ride casually and every weekend or second, I'm really hoping not to spend more than $500. I'd also love some suggestions of bikes I could get secondhand!

Thank you so much :)

I would go for an old mountain bike without suspension. I imagine you'll be fighting the dogs a little bit on the precise path - that is you might want to veer a little from path the dogs pull to avoid a puddle or a stick or something. So not having a suspension fork will make that easier, I think. And a mountain bike gives you wide handlebars and wide tires, which I think you'll need.

dedhed 05-13-19 10:54 AM

First get a dog, or two

ChinookTx 05-13-19 01:19 PM

Wouldn't you need an e-dog?

livedarklions 05-13-19 01:23 PM

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/pale...lectronimo.jpg

livedarklions 05-13-19 01:25 PM

When I was a kid, we would engage in Radio Flyerjoring, but the wagon almost always flipped over.