Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Schwinn Phantom investment. Should I buy it? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175170)

riplip 06-09-19 01:22 AM

Schwinn Phantom investment. Should I buy it?

i have found a schwinn phantom for sale what should i look for what should i stay clear of how do i get a good return on my investment

cb400bill 06-09-19 04:55 AM

How much is it? What is the bike's condition? Where do you live? Is it an original bike or a later made reproduction bike? Do you like and ride bikes or are you only looking to flip it for a profit?

thinktubes 06-09-19 06:46 AM

Be aware that the Phantoms were "re-issued" in the mid-1990s and the newer ones are often passed off as originals.

You should probably steer clear of bikes as investments. The only way to get a good return is to buy it dirt cheap, wipe it off, and sell it. If you have to put time and money into it, you'll be on the losing end.

Oakman 06-09-19 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by riplip (Post 20969618)
... how do i get a good return on my investment

I've gotten the best returns from the bikes I ride most.

marius.suiram 06-09-19 07:21 AM

If is under 100$, if it is complete with the tank, fender light, drum brake, rear rack, you should buy it. You'll get a nice profit. Doesn't matter where you are living.
Most of the older bikes I got here in Ohio, I sold them west, in California or that area.

wrk101 06-09-19 07:34 AM

Never buy a bike as an investment. If someone is that good at predicting future trends, try the stock market. Collectibles make lousy investments as things go in and out of style as people's tastes change, older people die off to replaced with people with totally different interests, etc. In addition, collectibles provide ZERO income. Then you have the problem of lack of liquidity. Then you have the sales transaction costs. Finally there are no guarantees when you want to sell you will get anything close to full value out of it.

Meanwhile you can sell hundreds of shares of stocks any time you want, for about $7, and get FMV whatever that might be at that particular point. Meanwhile, if you sell an item on eBay, you have about 15% in fees including PayPal, and you have to pack and ship.

+10 The only bikes that I have profited from were quick flips, not investments. I bought really cheap, cleaned up and sold almost immediately. Everything I hold on to, runs the risk of changing tastes. To buy really cheap you have to know values extremely well and pounce. Even then you will make mistakes. +10 Lots of reproduction/re-issue phantoms out there. To the untrained person, a 25 year old phantom looks like the real deal.

Bandera 06-09-19 08:10 AM

Read this book:
"How to chase after pennies by "investing" real dollars, time and effort in old bicycles: A time wasters guide to trading money for a pile of un-wanted unsaleable old junk."

3alarmer 06-09-19 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by riplip (Post 20969618)
...what should i stay clear of ...

...bicycles as an investment.

Fahrenheit531 06-09-19 11:47 AM

^ That.
:lol:

ramzilla 06-09-19 04:41 PM

I agree. The vintage bike market is in the doldrums right now. I think the biggest pressure on vintage bike sales is Chinese robots that can manufacture 1000 new bikes a day for almost nothing. You can get a really nice new bike any day of the week for around $600 and when there's a sale about $300. Nice bikes are available on line for $450. WallyWorld bikes are even cheaper.

The only time I've ever made any profit on a vintage bike is when I got it for cheap to begin with. I'm talking complete bikes w/no missing parts for anywhere from $30 to $40. Cleaned up with new consumables & sell for $200 - $300.

riplip 06-11-19 01:46 PM

Schwinn phantom

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 20969689)
How much is it? What is the bike's condition? Where do you live? Is it an original bike or a later made reproduction bike? Do you like and ride bikes or are you only looking to flip it for a profit?

the phantom and another vintage bike(2nd bike is a firestone )i can by for600$. Condition is original and in great shape. I live in reno nv. I am aware that the cereal # will give me some info about the year the frame was built not shure how to translate needed info going to possibly buy bike in 2 days will get number then can you tell me how to spot a reproduction.my bigest fear is buying a repop. And yes i ride my bike3 miles to work every day I.E. i love riding my bike. I'm just now experienced buying vintage collectable bikesthank for your reply any help will be appreciated

wrk101 06-11-19 05:35 PM

I don’t drop $600 on any bike unless I have the knowledge to know for sure what I am getting and I have a plan for how to make money on it. So I pass on some deals and that’s OK. I certainly would not base it on internet advice.

i take chances on stuff all the time. But those chances are in the $1 to $50 price range. They don’t all have to work out. When I spend more they really have to work out.

I spent more than $600 recently it wasn’t taking a chance. If it was I would have passed. I’ll also spend $150 when I see $300 to $400 in parts. I pretty much stick to what I know, or something so cheap I am risking very little. I don’t rely on cereal numbers.