Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It's no wonder car drivers hate cyclist !! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=711690)

Nightshade 02-05-11 12:59 PM

It's no wonder car drivers hate cyclist !!

This film is about how NOT to ride in traffic.:twitchy::twitchy::notamused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj1VMKPDXGU

TurbineBlade 02-05-11 01:05 PM

I personally do NOT choose to ride like the folks in that video, but I don't really get worked up about other cyclists' bad behavior.

Since most motorists are quite tolerant of their own speeding in residential neighborhoods, making illegal turns, driving while distracted, running red lights, aggressive driving, etc. etc. I think "bad" cyclists make up an insignificant number of road users that are likely to harm or kill others.

JanMM 02-05-11 01:27 PM

Adrenaline junkies.
Most motorists have never encountered cyclists displaying that kind of behavior.

twobadfish 02-05-11 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by TurbineBlade (Post 12183021)
I personally do NOT choose to ride like the folks in that video, but I don't really get worked up about other cyclists' bad behavior.

Since most motorists are quite tolerant of their own speeding in residential neighborhoods, making illegal turns, driving while distracted, running red lights, aggressive driving, etc. etc. I think "bad" cyclists make up an insignificant number of road users that are likely to harm or kill others.

I've never personally been ok with drivers that drive dangerously. People aren't ok with drivers speeding through their neighborhood and I can't personally say I ever see people intentionally putting other people in danger.

I wonder how many crashes these guys have caused or how many cars they have dinged or scratched trying to squeeze through spaces like that. I don't get worked up over seeing stuff like that, but I also wouldn't feel bad if one of those drivers accidentally side swiped one of them.

Doohickie 02-05-11 02:12 PM

Nice troll. Almost sucked me in.

twobadfish 02-05-11 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 12183316)
Nice troll. Almost sucked me in.

Don't be afraid.

TurbineBlade 02-05-11 02:36 PM

I've never personally been ok with drivers that drive dangerously. People aren't ok with drivers speeding through their neighborhood and I can't personally say I ever see people intentionally putting other people in danger.

I wonder how many crashes these guys have caused or how many cars they have dinged or scratched trying to squeeze through spaces like that. I don't get worked up over seeing stuff like that, but I also wouldn't feel bad if one of those drivers accidentally side swiped one of them.
Nor have I been "ok" with poor driving. Not to hijack too badly, but suffice to say that in many, many places (like DC) there is a huge group of people who almost constantly hammer cyclists for running stop signs, etc. and make comments as if the majority of cyclists are law breakers, whereas motorists are not. It's the worst case of "the pot calling the kettle black" I can imagine. DC has collected something like 6 million dollars in tickets since installing red light cameras a few years ago, and driver compliance with speed limits in residental areas of DC was incredibly poor, with something like 60% exceeding posted limits for all targeted areas.

This doesn't touch the numerous other offenses drivers perform on a daily basis, but fail to mention when writing to the Washington Post or Times.

You're right, not all motorists feel this way. Just some.

So, when someone points out something that could potentially lead to a "cyclists break laws!!" rant it's helpful to remind them how much of a ****ing joke it is.

End rant -- hijack. Apologies. Continue -

DX-MAN 02-05-11 04:42 PM

Couldn't do what those guys do.

In my town, too -- some parts of it -- these guys would get shot...............at. Elusive moving target+poor shooter=random shooting, not rare here.

Somebody DRIVES that recklessly, they just get a little under-the-breath cussing, and other drivers go on. A bike rider does it, though, and they're chartering buses to the state capital to picket the General Assembly.

Kimmitt 02-05-11 04:56 PM

This can be resolved with a simple thought experiment -- if bicyclists did religiously obey the rules of the road at all times, would they be much less hated by the cagers?

The answer is, no, of course not. They hate us for our freedom.

009jim 02-05-11 05:08 PM

They hate us for our freedom.
You bet.............!!

superflylondon 02-05-11 05:30 PM

Kind of cheering for the cars to crush some of those guys....nice video though.

BlazingPedals 02-05-11 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kimmitt (Post 12183865)
They hate us for our freedom.

I think it's more accurate to say they hate us because we're in their way, slowing them down.

twobadfish 02-05-11 09:32 PM

I know you're joking, but I can't most of my friends to get on a bicycle and pedal from one place to another for commuting purposes. That **** is hard. And slow. It's the antithesis of the American way: instant gratification.

People who think bikes are in the way either think that because a) they are or b) they don't understand their own relationship with cyclists while on the road. I don't think it's an either/or thing... sometimes cyclists are in the way, and sometimes the driver is ignorant.

electrik 02-05-11 09:43 PM

I <3 Lucas Brunelle.

Warning: Drug use

Chris L 02-08-11 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 12182998)
This film is about how NOT to ride in traffic.:twitchy::twitchy::notamused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj1VMKPDXGU

Doesn't explain why car drivers hate each other so much.

PBRStreetgang 02-08-11 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chris L (Post 12193932)

Reminds me of this quote that I found...

"The world lies right beyond the handlebars of any bicycle that I happen to be on anywhere from New York Bay to the Vallee de Chevreuse. Anywhere is high adventure, the walls come down, the cyclist is a loner, it is the only way for him to meet other loners. And it works. One seldom exchanges anything but curses or names of insurance companies with another driver, the car inhibits human contacts. The bicycle generates them; bikes talk to each other like dogs, they wag their wheels and tinkle their bells, the riders let their mounts mingle."

-Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles, Chapter 6

Kimmitt 02-08-11 12:43 PM

I agree that cyclists can make all manner of terrible errors, but that's not why we're hated. We are hated because we are happy and exercising and can find parking and aren't spending an infinite amount of money.

calamarichris 02-08-11 01:07 PM

This can be resolved with a simple thought experiment -- if bicyclists did religiously obey the rules of the road at all times, would they be much less hated by the cagers?

:thumb::lol:
Wrong on both counts. They would indeed hate us less if we didn't have clods behaving badly like this in our midst.
And nice use of a Bushism on your second fallacy. They hate us for our freedom... what, are they the Axis of Evildoers now, Mr Ex-President?

The real reason they hate us is because they are obeying the rules of society (giving up some of their freedom, for the sake of not impinging on our freedom), and some of us simply do not.

TurbineBlade 02-08-11 01:23 PM

The real reason they hate us is because they are obeying the rules of society (giving up some of their freedom, for the sake of not impinging on our freedom), and some of us simply do not.
I think we agree -- only I'd replace all of the above with "they dislike the inconvenience that comes with driving safely on the roads with cyclists as compared to a situation where there are no cyclists". It creates new things to think about, behaviors to alter, and generally means that seconds or minutes are taken from their otherwise bike-less commutes.

Nightshade 02-08-11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L (Post 12193932)

Driving exposes a persons level of incompetence! :roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

twobadfish 02-08-11 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by calamarichris (Post 12195819)

You are silly if you think riding a bike somehow gives you more freedom than driving a car. Delusional, actually. You are restricted by speed, range, weather conditions, and comfort. You have to obey all the same traffic laws so what exactly is so freeing about riding a bicycle that is more "freeing" than driving a car?

Nachoman 02-08-11 02:41 PM

Been there. Done that. Now I've calmed down.

TurbineBlade 02-08-11 02:55 PM

You are silly if you think riding a bike somehow gives you more freedom than driving a car. Delusional, actually. You are restricted by speed, range, weather conditions, and comfort. You have to obey all the same traffic laws so what exactly is so freeing about riding a bicycle that is more "freeing" than driving a car?
I think both sides are subjective -- that's all. Both can be freeing, and both can be restraining. I absolutely hate driving in DC traffic, so to "me" it's better to ride a bicycle. Other people may not agree.

I don't really care.

Just like we have our own ideas about why drivers are sometimes annoyed by cyclists, and vice-versa.

twobadfish 02-08-11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TurbineBlade (Post 12196275)
I think both sides are subjective -- that's all. Both can be freeing, and both can be restraining. I absolutely hate driving in DC traffic, so to "me" it's better to ride a bicycle. Other people may not agree.

I don't really care.

Just like we have our own ideas about why drivers are sometimes annoyed by cyclists, and vice-versa.

Ok, I thought you were suggesting people were angry at cyclists because they are spiteful about following the rules of society where cyclists have chosen not to.

calamarichris 02-08-11 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by twobadfish (Post 12196154)

I am pretty silly indeed, but I never stated that bike riding somehow affords more freedom than driving a car. We all have to give up a little freedom to get along. I hate waiting at red lights because they reduce my freedom to proceed; but considering the alternative, giving up a little freedom is a terrific idea.

I absolutely agree with you and I get a little frustrated when I see riders like those in the video, (and also especially the sportbike-motorcycle "stuntah" videos) who find elation in completely ignoring society's rules. What's the difference between these fixie clods in the video and the lowered car thugs who get together for competitive vehicular parkour?

We cyclists stand to lose the most if things devolve to a Mad Max, post-apolocyptic scenario. I'll have to go back and watch those movies now, because I'm pretty sure bicyclists were extinct in that environment.