Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Your worst cycling decision in 2020 so far... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1205710)

diphthong 06-25-20 02:07 AM

Your worst cycling decision in 2020 so far...

could be equipment related. could be pandemic related. could be purchase related. could be fatigue or sleep deprivation related. could be maintenance related. could be an in-race decision...
in a year chock full of questionable (at best) decisions, what's your worst cycling decision so far in 2020?

Ghazmh 06-25-20 03:13 AM

I bought an Ortlieb handlebar mount for a bike that I sold a month later. Now I have more Ortlieb handlebar mounts than bikes I’ll use them on.

AndyB. 06-25-20 05:12 AM

I paid $300 for a fit that consisted of two retul captures on a fit bike, then measurements applied to my bike with a tape measure and pieces of wood with bubble levels attached.

My bike was much easier to ride before this.

walnutz 06-25-20 05:14 AM

Spent $450 on upgrades and then bought a new bike a few weeks later...

PedalingWalrus 06-25-20 05:59 AM

I should have upgraded to Eagle and not replace worn out component of my 2by. The middle gear still sucks. I'm ready to throw this annoying rig out and get the new 10-52 Eagle drivetrain :-)

Germanrazor 06-25-20 06:08 AM

Not really a regret, well maybe. I replaced my tires with GP5000 700x23. I am wondering if the 25’s or even 28’s may have been a more logical choice.

smashndash 06-25-20 06:09 AM

Bought a selle italia SP-01 boost saddle, which doesn’t allow you to slide the saddle forward very much. And when I put it on ONE time, the paint peeled off the rails immediately. I should have taped it.

Oh and the padding was unbearably hard. Overall, would not recommend.

Germanrazor 06-25-20 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by andyb. (Post 21552395)
i paid $300 for a fit that consisted of two retul captures on a fit bike, then measurements applied to my bike with a tape measure and pieces of wood with bubble levels attached.

My bike was much easier to ride before this.

wth!

P.L.Jensen 06-25-20 06:14 AM

Not double checking the car was locked... My Raleigh Folder was subsequently stolen in aVa BC parking garage...

waters60 06-25-20 07:25 AM

My worst turned into my best. Just as the coronavirus started ramping up but before we knew it would be an economic disaster I bought my 2020 Supersix. Fortunately architectural restoration is somehow “ essential “ so I still have work. Turns out the Supersix is my best bike purchase ever.

ridethecliche 06-25-20 09:26 AM

I started cycling again.

May my self loathing know no bounds.

Sojodave 06-25-20 09:48 AM

I bought a new Garmin 830 because it had re-routing capabilities so I wouldn't get lost on group rides...I guess there are no group rides in 2020...DOH!!!!

bruce19 06-25-20 10:44 AM

Probably any nice day I decided not to ride.

MoAlpha 06-25-20 10:47 AM

Taking the wrong road home from work, getting hit from behind, and left on the ground with a concussion.

Seattle Forrest 06-25-20 10:47 AM

Putting both water bottles in the freezer until two minutes before the ride starts.

Frank72 06-25-20 11:10 AM

Regret not going for a ride before work. I did my stretches, had my protein shake, the rain stopped but my weather app said it was going to rain again in a few minutes (lightning was promised). I cancelled my ride and it never rained! Never believe the weather liars!

guadzilla 06-25-20 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 21552321)
could be equipment related. could be pandemic related. could be purchase related. could be fatigue or sleep deprivation related. could be maintenance related. could be an in-race decision...
in a year chock full of questionable (at best) decisions, what's your worst cycling decision so far in 2020?

Needed a training/beater/rain bike. Ended up with an R5 + Di2 + Roval CL50s. It is the nicest bike i have ridden to date. That's not the problem.

Problem is that i still need a beater/rain bike that can ideally double as a gravel bike. Ideally, should have gotten an Open UP instead, and could have done double duty. Now i dont particularly feel like spending too much money on a third bike (especially as I have my eyes on a Pegoretti as #4). A bit annoyed, as a single nice gravel-capable road bike would have been a much better fit for my needs..

bikecrate 06-25-20 11:35 AM

I damaged my rear wheel running into a "trench" in front of a railroad track (dumb mistake one). Swapped rear wheel for new rear wheel I had lying around. Came out the next day for bike ride and tube was deflated. Realized I had not moved over the rim tape before mounting tube and tire (dumb mistake two). I've been pretty (mentally) tired lately. :p

GlennR 06-25-20 11:41 AM

Replacing my Garmin 510 with a 530 only to find a day later there was a way to repair it.

So now my son got a 510 for free.

https://i.imgur.com/iL1Fdli.jpg

pullings 06-25-20 11:56 AM

Jumping bike off path only to have front wheel catch lip when I got back on......
$$ Cost: new tire/tube, bike pump, helmet, scuffed up new carbon Ultegra shifters.
Rash on left side, deep soreness left shoulder, left ribs hurt, rash right arm.

Metallifan33 06-25-20 12:17 PM

Buying a used smart trainer. I didn't have much of a choice at the time, because all the retailers were sold out of what I wanted, and so far it has turned out well, but dropping $900 on a used Neo 2T was stressful after I realized how much strain people can put on a trainer. They can also potentially have a myriad of issues.
I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200 to $300 on a used smart trainer.

COYSpurs 06-25-20 12:34 PM

Deciding on going for a ride when there was a 30% chance of rain... turns out it downpoured and started to hail mid ride. TERRIBLE.

phrantic09 06-25-20 12:46 PM

Every morning I slept last 5AM and didn’t ride

wipekitty 06-25-20 12:46 PM

Hiding indoors for a month without a trainer.

I used to be fast. Now I'm slow.

walnutz 06-25-20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21552920)
Putting both water bottles in the freezer until two minutes before the ride starts.

I do this on purpose but I live in Texas :)