Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Wallet for Galaxy S6 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1032039)

canam73 09-26-15 01:39 PM

Wallet for Galaxy S6

1 Attachment(s)
I have been happily using the Lezyne Phone Wallet for my Galaxy S4 for years but my new S6 is a bit too long to fit. Does anyone with an S6 know of something similiar to the Lezyne that it will fit into including a plastic skin on the phone? What I want is a jersey pocketable wallet with a waterproof zipper compartment and also so space for cash and cards. The Lezyne was perfect for me other than being ~1cm too short:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=479547

Lazyass 09-26-15 01:42 PM

Look in the camping section at Walmart, that have a few different ones specifically for cell phones. Unless you're wanting something expensive and hip.

canam73 09-26-15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 18196248)
Look in the camping section at Walmart, that have a few different ones specifically for cell phones. Unless you're wanting something expensive and hip.

That is the first thing I did and nothing that was waterproof would fit well. I don't know if the Lezyne is hip or not, but for $20 it worked well and was durable. I am willing to pay for that.

Lazyass 09-26-15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by canam73 (Post 18196259)
That is the first thing I did and nothing that was waterproof would fit well. I don't know if the Lezyne is hip or not, but for $20 it worked well and was durable. I am willing to pay for that.

The S6 must be huge. Cell phones are getting too big nowadays. I miss my little small flip up one. Or better yet, my beeper.

canam73 09-26-15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 18196358)
The S6 must be huge. Cell phones are getting too big nowadays. I miss my little small flip up one. Or better yet, my beeper.

It is a tall boy compared to anything else, almost 6" in a simple skin. And I agree with you on the little flip phones. Ever since I got this I started wondering if the next thing would be a micro phone to go with people's smart devices. Unfortunately the S6 is sealed so I can't pull the SIM card and use my old phone for riding.

Bunyanderman 09-26-15 04:42 PM

Why do people turn to waterproof cases for the back pocket? Is it or riding in the rain?

gsa103 09-26-15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bunyanderman (Post 18196602)
Why do people turn to waterproof cases for the back pocket? Is it or riding in the rain?

Because I sweat too much. And seriously WTF is up with phones. I've got the same phone wallet and basically NONE of the newer "flagship" Android phones will fit. The only new phone that remotely fits is an iPhone 6S.

Bunyanderman 09-26-15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 18196639)
Because I sweat too much. And seriously WTF is up with phones. I've got the same phone wallet and basically NONE of the newer "flagship" Android phones will fit. The only new phone that remotely fits is an iPhone 6S.

Other than the cheap Ebay cases, I don't know if they make something specific yet. You can try a note 4/note 5 case, but those might be too big haha. Lg3/4 is a phone with very close dimensions. HTC m7/m8/m9 are also very close in dimension.

I would be very surprised if you had any problem with the sweat negatively effecting the phone. While the S6 doesn't have a water-proof certification, its designed to be heavily resistant to water damage, and something light like sweat should have no effect on the phone. I have the edge edition, and no problems with it in my back pocket, I just put the screen side facing out so I can't accidentally "touch" the screen with my back.

black_box 09-26-15 05:18 PM

Sweat? that's probably worse than rain water due to the salt content. A wet phone can be dried out, corroded circuits, not so much. I use a ziploc baggie.

joejack951 09-26-15 05:21 PM

I put my phone in a zip lock plastic baggy in my back pocket. Protects it from sweat and even the occasional unexpected downpour.

gregf83 09-26-15 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 18196670)
I use a ziploc baggie.

+1. The wallets always seem like a bigger, poorer solution than a baggie.

Bunyanderman 09-26-15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 18196670)
Sweat? that's probably worse than rain water due to the salt content. A wet phone can be dried out, corroded circuits, not so much. I use a ziploc baggie.

All "flagship" smartphones have some water resistance built in to them now, it would take a very good drenching in sweat for any to make its way into the phone. Most smartphones can be submerged for a minute or so, pulled out and restarted and work 100% afterwards.

joejack951 09-26-15 06:00 PM

I have had enough issues with charging sockets that I'd rather take a few seconds to put my phone in a bag than risk repeated exposure to my salty sweat. You can still easily use the phone through the bag as an added bonus.

canam73 09-26-15 08:16 PM

Believe it or not I have tried a ziploc before. For various reasons I just like having all my personal stuff in one place and organized. This isn't a rookie decision or because I haven't tried something else.

Homebrew01 09-26-15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by joejack951 (Post 18196673)
I put my phone in a zip lock plastic baggy in my back pocket. Protects it from sweat and even the occasional unexpected downpour.

Same here. Costs about 1 cent and lasts for months.

redtires 09-26-15 08:30 PM

For me, it's not just because I sweat...it's because the sweat causes a lot of condensation, especially on my camera lens. I have a Droid Turbo with an OtterBox case (not HUGE, not small) and I just use a large sandwhich zip-lock bag...works like a charm.

joejack951 09-26-15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by canam73 (Post 18197053)
Believe it or not I have tried a ziploc before. For various reasons I just like having all my personal stuff in one place and organized. This isn't a rookie decision or because I haven't tried something else.

What about two bags, one for your phone and one for the other stuff? You can stick the phone bag inside the 'other' bag for extra protection. Zip lock baggies are light weight, too, for the weight weenie in all of us.

ColaJacket 09-28-15 08:57 AM

Check out this thread from last week. There's a really good one on page 2.

GH

lesiz 09-28-15 12:52 PM

I wouldn't concern about getting a waterproof wallet. The phones are designed for the real world and can take moisture. I have not used a waterproof wallet for years and have had no problem, even when the screen is steamed with moisture. The evaporated water from your body does not contain salt, that is left behind in the evaporation process.

I would consider heat more of a problem. Wallets retain the heat that cell phones generate, and heat is the enemy of any electronic device. I don't suppose any company advertises a heat-conductive phone wallet, but that would be better for for protection than water proofing.

KenshiBiker 09-28-15 01:14 PM

Depending on the ride, I use either a Waterfield Deisgns cycling ride pouch to hold the phone, an extra tube and CO2 canister, cash, ID, credit card, insurance card, etc. For a shorter ride (where I don't need to carry the extra tube and CO2), my S6 in a slim case just fits into a Lezyne Caddy Sack (kind of an upscale ziplock bag), with room for a few cards and a little cash. Unfortunately the S6 does not fit in the Showers Pass Cloud Cover that I used to use for my S4.

joejack951 09-28-15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by lesiz (Post 18200964)
I wouldn't concern about getting a waterproof wallet. The phones are designed for the real world and can take moisture. I have not used a waterproof wallet for years and have had no problem, even when the screen is steamed with moisture. The evaporated water from your body does not contain salt, that is left behind in the evaporation process.

Sweat from my body soaks into my jersey and evaporates from there. If my phone is in my jersey pocket, it is going to get soaked with sweat before the sweat reaches the outer layer of my jersey.

Originally Posted by lesiz (Post 18200964)
I would consider heat more of a problem. Wallets retain the heat that cell phones generate, and heat is the enemy of any electronic device. I don't suppose any company advertises a heat-conductive phone wallet, but that would be better for for protection than water proofing.

Direct sunlight hitting the phone and a constantly running screen would be my biggest concern with overheating a phone. With the screen off and the phone in my back pocket, mine has always stayed quite cool even on really hot days. Then again, it is only in a plastic baggy :)

canam73 09-29-15 09:08 AM

Thank you To KenshiBiker and ColaJacket for the suggestions. I use a Caddy Sack for my flat/tool kit in my center pocket and carry the phone wallet in the left. The right is for gels or food if I carry any. The stickey pod looks interesting, although I prefer to keep my tools separate. I end up using the wallet for more than just biking.

To everyone else offering suggestions of what I should do differently: Why is so hard to accept my preferences? I have been cycling all my life and carrying a mobile phone with me for 15 years. I know what works for me. In fact, I still have my last 3 phones in good working condition. And as I said, this isn't just about the phone. I keep other personals in it like money, cards, my race license, etc. Sometimes at events I put regular shorts on and walk around. Its handy to be able to grab the things I want then all at once and not have to separate it from bike kit. If it is at a race I can then leave that with my stuff when it's go time. If I am on a regular ride I don't care about the extra 100 grams or investing $15-50 to keep my stuff safe and how I want it.

So plain and simple: I am just wondering if somebody knows of a product similar to the Lezyne that is ~10mm longer.

Secret Squirrel 09-29-15 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use this for my LG G4 with circle case in my jersey pocket

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=479940