Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID-19 (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=341)
-   -   Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195481)

Hondo Gravel 03-19-20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 21374873)
Interesting point. My wife was born and raised in Mexico. While they were poor, she never experienced the shortages that I experienced growing up in Cuba, or that we are experiencing now.

in her case, the store shelves were stocked full, it was a question of being able to afford what you needed.

Now it is the reverse, we can afford the goods, there are just none to be had.

Challenging times.

I get you are saying. Apologies if I came across crass. I have many friends from Mexico. Heck I’m. From South Texas :lol:

eja_ bottecchia 03-19-20 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 21374878)
I get you are saying. Apologies if I came across crass. I have many friends from Mexico. Heck Iím. From South Texas :lol:

Hondo, man you donít need to apologize. I get your point. I always enjoy reading your posts here, you bring a great perspective to your comments.

Poverty sucks (to put it mildly). Chronic shortages and food rationing due to typical Communist mismanagement equally sucks. (BTW mods this is NOT a political opnion, it is simply a comment about daily life in the so-called workers paradise.)

SHBR 03-19-20 10:16 PM

I just heard that Shanghai is now the "only" city in China accepting international flights.

This won't end well.

Seattle Forrest 03-19-20 10:59 PM

I stopped in a drug store for coffee filters, I was out.

An employee told me they have toilet paper. She said it's behind the counter like cigarettes, they have packs of four rolls, you can only buy one pack. Sure enough, I ask and they bring me one. My mom is 70, she has a harder time getting around, they let me buy a pack for her too. 🙂

This is what it's come to. Things are going to get much worse, but nobody knows how much. They're turning a soccer field into a tent hospital to get ready. People think it's just the flu and we're all losing our minds, but this is the calm before the storm.

Hondo Gravel 03-20-20 12:45 AM

Yup, the Covid 19 is all over San Antonio fixing to head down US 90 to Hondo. Not sure what is going to happen but taking some precautionary measures such as food supplies and stuff. People here are taking it seriously but how will everyone react when there is a real case. I guess we will see...

SHBR 03-20-20 12:56 AM

Hondo Gravel 03-20-20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by SHBR (Post 21374974)

I hope you are right and we all got Shanghaied :lol: I got all drunk and fell through a floor and ended up on a ship sailing toward Shanghai :eek:

SHBR 03-20-20 02:27 AM

False hope isn't fun, the turds could hit the fan, anytime, anywhere it seems.

Its all quite well planned, the timing and delivery of panic at just the right time.

Hunger games, the real life version. :popcorn

Chinese rush home to escape outbreaks in US, Europe
2020-03-20 HKT 18:02
Under pressure from anxious parents, Chinese citizens living in virus-hit Europe are flocking back home, with some even flying on private jets to escape the spiralling number of infections overseas.
With authorities saying no new coronavirus cases falling to zero in China, the country where the disease first emerged now looks like a safe haven compared to the worsening crisis abroad.

Tens of thousands of students and professionals, as well as footballers from first division teams training abroad, are coming home. But their return is fraught with difficulty: flights are expensive and infrequent, there have been infection cases on planes and 14 days in quarantine – generally in a hotel at the returnee's expense – is mandatory upon arrival.

"My parents were very worried, they called me every day," said Zhao Yidong, a 29-year-old IT consultant who returned from France.

"I had three weeks left in France but with Trump closing the American borders to people coming from Europe, I was afraid that China would also block its [borders] to them too," he said by phone from a two-star hotel in the eastern city of Yangzhou, where he has been quarantined.

"So I preferred to return earlier."

When he arrived in Shanghai, he underwent medical checks, before being taken to the hotel by authorities.

"Morale is very good. I have nothing to complain about: every day, a doctor examines us and the employees drop three full meals outside the door for us," he said.

The government pays for half his stay, while the rest is at his expense: 1,680 yuan for 14 nights. But having been victims of racism in Europe, where they were considered as potential carriers of the virus at the start of the outbreak, some of these Chinese returnees must now deal with distrust among their compatriots.

On social networks, there has been criticism of "irresponsible" people who have brought the virus back to China, where more than 200 imported cases have already been identified. This hostility did not deter Yang Qingyun, 28, a student at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, from coming home.

"I had a feeling that the epidemic would explode in Germany. Most Germans were not taking the disease seriously and I was afraid that my daughter would be infected," she told AFP from the northern province of Shanxi, where she is in home quarantine. However Effy Zhang, a 27-year-old researcher, said she preferred to stay in Dusseldorf rather than give in to her parents and return to her small Chinese city where hospitals "inspire less confidence than in Germany".

"I have my own apartment here, so I can isolate myself easily. I'm trying to run more and take vitamin C, hoping it will improve my immune system."

Her father Zhang Bing was not reassured, however.

"What I am afraid of is that the German medical system finds itself inundated, without the necessary resources in personnel, material, supplies," he said.

It's a concern fuelled by news from Europe: a gathering of 3,500 people dressed up as Smurfs in France, crowded Parisian parks, and a slow response to the epidemic in Britain. One panicked father sent a private jet to London to repatriate his student daughter, according to the Chinese private airline IFlyPlus, at the cost of one million yuan. In the first half of March, the company said that it had recorded a 227 percent increase in the number of flights to China compared to the previous year. But many Chinese people simply cannot return.

Sun Qiujie, a 27-year-old who works in advertising in Paris, said she "must keep working" but remains calm because she has already been through quarantine at the end of January during a holiday in China.

"But my parents are going crazy, they really want me to come home. Every time we call, we bicker," she said. (AFP)

CliffordK 03-31-20 01:19 AM

I was out and about yesterday. I passed a hitchhiker on a back road, during the evening. I didn't really have any place for him, but I have picked up hitchhikers in the past. But, as I drove past, I started thinking... just no...

Well, I suppose one might offer a ride to a local in the back of the pickup, but that is about as close as one might get.

As the weather warms up and more people are out and about, I wonder how the virus will impact people stopping to pick up someone, or to help others out.

sykerocker 03-31-20 08:15 PM

For me, the social distancing is going to be fairly easy. The builders managed to get my replacement garage done thirty days ago, and the first weekend of March was spent in repeated trips to Harbor Freight picking up the tool boxes, bead blasting cabinet and other items for rebuilding the bicycle shop. Now I settle in to bead blasting what tools I managed to save from the fire, start making up the (lengthy) list of bicycle specific tools I need to replace, and get myself to the point where I can seriously start wrenching bikes again.

I'm still getting my daily 5+ miles on the Raleigh roadsters in, with Sunday's warming up my clincher tired road bikes start coming out. Still have to order some sewups as all my spares were lost in the fire, at which point the really good bikes come out. The wife's still working (Panera), so I get some time alone during the day to let me work.

Right now my biggest ***** is that the motorcycles are gathering dust. They come out ever other week for a 15-20 mile loop just to keep them loose, but what's the use of a motorcycle ride if there's no bar stop at the midway point?

Doc_Wui 04-01-20 08:02 AM

When this poll first came out, I missed it. That was the week we saw Madame Butterfly at the Lyric Opera House, and ate in a (deserted) Chinese restaurant. Capped it by attending a Big 10 basketball game and another restaurant dinner with a buddy. We rode 24 miles that week and the bike trail was very lonely, In hindsight, the only smart thing we did that week that was smart was buying a ton on toilet paper only because Meijers had a 2 for 1 sale. A week later, Illinois went on lock down and I spent a nervous 10 days wondering if my slight temperature and sinus issues was an omen.

Now it's April 1, I just did the poll. I'm taking Claritin and I can breath again. Lost over a year's income in the market, but I have enough at age 70 to last forever, so why worry about that. My wife and I could hunker down for the next 12 months, but my kids could drag it home easily when they visit. Bike trail is jammed. We will not go there any more. Yes, it's a very high threshold of personal concern now.

I have faith in our scientists though. Summer humidity will kill the virus and more viable treatments will be here before the 2nd wave this winter. Vaccines by next St. Pat's day too. Let's all be smart.

making 04-01-20 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui (Post 21394950)
When this poll first came out, I missed it. That was the week we saw Madame Butterfly at the Lyric Opera House, and ate in a (deserted) Chinese restaurant. Capped it by attending a Big 10 basketball game and another restaurant dinner with a buddy. We rode 24 miles that week and the bike trail was very lonely, In hindsight, the only smart thing we did that week that was smart was buying a ton on toilet paper only because Meijers had a 2 for 1 sale. A week later, Illinois went on lock down and I spent a nervous 10 days wondering if my slight temperature and sinus issues was an omen.

Now it's April 1, I just did the poll. I'm taking Claritin and I can breath again. Lost over a year's income in the market, but I have enough at age 70 to last forever, so why worry about that. My wife and I could hunker down for the next 12 months, but my kids could drag it home easily when they visit. Bike trail is jammed. We will not go there any more. Yes, it's a very high threshold of personal concern now.

I have faith in our scientists though. Summer humidity will kill the virus and more viable treatments will be here before the 2nd wave this winter. Vaccines by next St. Pat's day too. Let's all be smart.

I was just telling my wife how lucky we are. I am retired and she has a great job 100% from home. Course I lost at least a house from my retirement account...