Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colnago sells out (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1200458)

Chad991 05-05-20 09:43 PM

Colnago sells out

Colnago sells to UAE

Heartbreaking if you ask me. I understand it's his company and he built them like he loved them, but still.....

Litespud 05-05-20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chad991 (Post 21458130)

Colnago sells to UAE

Heartbreaking if you ask me. I understand it's his company and he built them like he loved them, but still.....

meaning what exactly? What’s heartbreaking about a team using Colnago frames? They’re also using Campagnolo components. Is that also heartbreaking?

Chad991 05-05-20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 21458201)
meaning what exactly? What’s heartbreaking about a team using Colnago frames? They’re also using Campagnolo components. Is that also heartbreaking?

ernesto sold the entire company, not just bikes to the team....I understand that people get old, and I wish him all the best. Just weird an iconic itilian bike company not owned by itilians any more..has nothing to do with a team buying a dam frame

subgrade 05-06-20 12:07 AM

We live in a corporate world, should be used to it by now. Look at the car manufacturers, for example - Jaguar is owned by Indians, Lamborghini and Bugatti by Germans, Volvo by Chinese, etc. At least those brands still exist and are doing pretty well.

indyfabz 05-06-20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chad991 (Post 21458208)
ernesto sold the entire company, not just bikes to the team....I understand that people get old, and I wish him all the best. Just weird an iconic itilian bike company not owned by itilians any more..has nothing to do with a team buying a dam frame

Your subject line and and OP could have been more explanatory.

In any event...I think we can all agree that Bianchi is an iconic Italian bike brand. Hell. It even made bikes specially designed for combat in WWI. Who owns the company these days?

hillyman 05-06-20 04:19 AM

Heck it's hard to even cry in your American owned beer anymore

Last ride 76 05-06-20 08:43 AM

To me it's symbolic, rather than heartbreaking. :50: Almost inevitable, in some form or another.

Maelochs 05-06-20 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chad991 (Post 21458208)
.....an iconic itilian bike company not owned by itilians any more..

Hard to think of anything Itilians own or make any more ......

... or reptilians, for that matter.

Wildwood 05-06-20 09:00 AM

No harm done.
A few decades of bikes to love and acquire.
Nothing mass produced for the last 2 decades has particularly impressed me.
Point of view I guess.

Ride On!

indyfabz 05-06-20 09:15 AM

Plenty of American brewed beer in my neck of the woods, and a lot of other places. I guess if you like things like Bud you are out of luck.

I have a sixer of this in the fridge. Independent and brewed in my home state.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36cb0d9cde.jpg

DorkDisk 05-06-20 09:21 AM

Maybe soon I can afford one
:50:

Chad991 05-06-20 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=indyfabz;21458342]Your subject line and and OP could have been more explanatory.

You are 100% right, I'm a cut and past screw up...I know there is a way to do it,lol, but I'm technically challenged...I can fix most things, mechanically I'm good....computers have ran over me like a squirell under a scooter!

mprince 05-06-20 11:25 AM

Better for them to sell with assurances that the company can continue to operate as they have (which has been stated in the articles I have read), than to vanish into the night.

Chad991 05-06-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mprince (Post 21459029)
Better for them to sell with assurances that the company can continue to operate as they have (which has been stated in the articles I have read), than to vanish into the night.

if I read correctly, they are still going to be made in Italy. I just have a love for old Colnago

indyfabz 05-06-20 01:35 PM

Walmart will acquire Colnago, just like it acquired Rapha. :innocent:

bruce19 05-06-20 01:46 PM

It's the world we live in. Sadly.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...ch-car-brands/

scott967 05-06-20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chad991 (Post 21459136)
if I read correctly, they are still going to be made in Italy. I just have a love for old Colnago

Well, except for the ones made in Taiwan

scott s.

commo_soulja 05-06-20 02:13 PM

Colnago sold to UAE group

Threads should have a clicky link, not think "whatchoo talkin' bout Wills?" Then have to google it.

Companies are sold to gain investment capital so they can do more research & development and in the end a better product. What's the harm?

Oldguyonoldbike 05-06-20 08:46 PM

From what I've read, the buyers/investors claim they will leave the company alone. Of course they would say that no matter their intentions. Anyhow the company will still exist with some kind of continuity.
I'd rather see this than Ernesto closing up shop, retiring, and selling the name to some online retailer of mass-market no-name bikes.

DropBarFan 05-06-20 11:14 PM

Colnago built a special bike for Eddy Merckx's '72 hour record but somehow the bike rode with Windsor labels & Ernesto was infuriated. Around '74 my local pro LBS featured a Colnago Super which was so pretty & light but very expensive. Even the regular Colnago bikes were expensive so I bought a Colnago t-shirt instead, heh. Oh well, Ernesto did well enough to be able to sell the company. Different market now with technically great but plain-looking racing bikes. I see so few Campagnolo-equipped bikes I wonder how they survive.

eja_ bottecchia 05-06-20 11:29 PM

Welcome to the world of multinationals.

drlogik 05-07-20 11:09 AM

With a new injection of cash from a wealthy United Arab Emirates-based company may be a recipe for better R&D and more future wins. The new owner says they will keep manufacturing where it is. This could be really good for Colnago, actually.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/col...new-ownership/

OldTryGuy 05-07-20 12:19 PM

Just thinking that maybe ORIGINAL COLNAGO'S just went up in value as collector items.

IMO, as for the sale ---- big whoop.