Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Anybody interested in a babymaker? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1201271)

RubeRad 05-13-20 01:55 PM

Anybody interested in a babymaker?
 
The indiegogo looks pretty impressive, and it looks like a pretty good value at $1077 for chain and calipers, $1369 for belt and hydros. 32lb either way.

Also there's a 'touring package' add-on with fenders, rack, and lights.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...h-belt-drive#/

FiftySix 05-13-20 03:30 PM

I like it. Except for the non-replaceable battery and the stupid name.

alan s 05-13-20 11:58 PM

I would buy a bike named after this guy. Chick magnet!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq....-ed-houben/amp

FiftySix 05-14-20 06:55 AM


Originally Posted by alan s (Post 21473938)
I would buy a bike named after this guy. Chick magnet!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq....-ed-houben/amp

Yep, I'd buy a bike named Houben. As long as it looked good. :D

Pugs2xLove 05-14-20 07:53 AM

No e-bikes for me. Sorry.

Lemond1985 05-14-20 07:57 AM

I'm hoping this bike gets its tubes tied sooner rather than later.

Phil_gretz 05-14-20 08:17 AM

Considering the barrage of internet advertising for this brand, I'm not surprised that there's a thread discussing it.

My answer: Yawn.

RubeRad 05-14-20 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21473155)
I like it. Except for the non-replaceable battery and the stupid name.

I looked it up; the battery is replacable, but not trivially. There's a removable headbadge, so if you drop the fork there's access to the battery in the downtube

FiftySix 05-14-20 09:39 AM


Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21474519)
I looked it up; the battery is replacable, but not trivially. There's a removable headbadge, so if you drop the fork there's access to the battery in the downtube

That's good to know. :thumb:

Now I just need to get a sticker that says Houben to put over the Babymaker sticker. :lol:

phughes 05-14-20 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21473155)
I like it. Except for the non-replaceable battery and the stupid name.

The battery is replaceable. It says so on the page, and tells you how it is accessed.

"While the battery is built into the bike, it can still be removed if ever needed for service. Simply drop the fork, remove the plate on the headtube and pull the battery out to remove."

chas58 05-14-20 03:11 PM

I built that bike about 7 years ago. Except I know bikes, I know the proper angle for bullhorns, I know where to mount my brake levers, I know the basics of bike sizing. Some of the pictures I have seen on that site are scary. All looks, and no substance. I hope the product is better than their marketing. But the concept, a light single speed type urban bike, has worked out great for me - my bike does 25mph, for 25 miles and weighs 25lbs.

Darth Lefty 05-14-20 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by chas58 (Post 21475146)
I built that bike about 7 years ago. Except I know bikes, I know the proper angle for bullhorns, I know where to mount my brake levers, I know the basics of bike sizing. Some of the pictures I have seen on that site are scary. All looks, and no substance. I hope the product is better than their marketing. But the concept, a light single speed type urban bike, has worked out great for me - my bike does 25mph, for 25 miles and weighs 25lbs.

lf only you had shared your vision with the world then, we wouldn't have a bike now called Babymaker

RubeRad 05-14-20 05:21 PM


Originally Posted by chas58 (Post 21475146)
I built that bike about 7 years ago. Except I know bikes, I know the proper angle for bullhorns, I know where to mount my brake levers, I know the basics of bike sizing. Some of the pictures I have seen on that site are scary. All looks, and no substance. I hope the product is better than their marketing. But the concept, a light single speed type urban bike, has worked out great for me - my bike does 25mph, for 25 miles and weighs 25lbs.

(a) you built an electric bike with a downtube full of battery 7 years ago? (b) yeah they only offer the two sizes, seems like taking a chance on fit. They have a video showing a 6'6" rider, which of course can only be showing a guy successfully not falling off of a too-small-bike with a long seatpost

Russ Roth 05-14-20 06:22 PM

Fail to understand the name, there's nothing about the bike I find particularly sexy and wife wife thinks even less of the general appearance; not enough of a turn on to be an actual baby maker.

Leisesturm 05-14-20 11:44 PM


Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 21474373)
Considering the barrage of internet advertising for this brand, I'm not surprised that there's a thread discussing it.

My answer: Yawn.

Brand? It's not a brand. It's vaporware. I'll eat my babymaker (no hot sauce) in Pioneer Square if a single unit makes it into post production.

Darth Lefty 05-14-20 11:49 PM


Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21473155)
I like it. Except for the non-replaceable battery and the stupid name.

You know...

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4275c2c25a.jpg

FiftySix 05-15-20 06:59 AM

Lol. :lol:

FiftySix 05-15-20 07:10 AM


Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21475351)
(a) you built an electric bike with a downtube full of battery 7 years ago? (b) yeah they only offer the two sizes, seems like taking a chance on fit. They have a video showing a 6'6" rider, which of course can only be showing a guy successfully not falling off of a too-small-bike with a long seatpost

If that's the same video I saw, he was riding the bike in his flip flops like a beach cruiser with lower bars.

FiftySix 05-15-20 07:14 AM

I like this FAQ about avoiding the $100 shipping fee.

"Can I pick the bike up in San Diego and avoid the shipping charge? Sorry, we expect a very busy shipping season and to speed up all deliveries we will be shipping via UPS, Fedex and other couriers. We cannot accept pickup in San Diego."

Meaning, they don't have a warehouse in San Diego. Probably a direct ship from overseas.

RubeRad 05-15-20 09:24 AM

Ah, good job reading between the lines, I bet you're right.

I did notice they're in San Diego, on a street I'm familiar with. I was thinking about going there with the babymaker wife just for a test ride some time. Toss in a california burrito from a taco shack, and that counts as a date!

chas58 05-15-20 10:10 AM

I saw a cringy video explaining the bike and how they got the name. Made me immediately write them off as not knowing what they were doing, nor anything about bikes. Looked like a couple of bro's out to have a laugh at other people's expense...

Lemond1985 05-15-20 10:13 AM

Why didn't they choose the name "Home Wrecker" for the bike? I bet that was a close second.

RoadKill 05-15-20 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting the link, now that I clicked it about 3/4 of all advertising I see in facebook is for this thing.
Thankfully I went to etrailer.com the other day so my targeted advertising here is for them.

Lemond1985 05-15-20 01:03 PM

Dang bike is probably viral marketing for some dumb Jennifer Anniston movie, of the same name, coming out this summer :(

chas58 05-15-20 01:42 PM


Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 21475281)
lf only you had shared your vision with the world then, we wouldn't have a bike now called Babymaker

Well, I did do a detailed build post here in case anyone was having similar ideas. ;-)
Not sure if the archives go back that far though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.