Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pedestrians = more dangerous than drivers? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183904)

tomato coupe 09-30-19 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sumgy (Post 21144935)
Truck cannot kill cyclist by itself usually.

That's right. That's why "Cyclist Killed by Truck" is sufficient. The primary goal of headlines is to be short and to the point.

Sy Reene 09-30-19 06:52 PM

How about "Dentist killed by Soccer Mom"? "Landscaper runs over cycling schoolteacher" ? Lots of ways both parties in a story can be represented by a person and not imbalanced where only one is a type of person, the other is a type of vehicle.

bipedalconsumer 09-30-19 06:59 PM

"Cyclist killed by drunk driver" and "cyclist killed by runaway truck" imply vastly different kinds of things - one puts criminal guilt squarely on a driver who may not even have been convicted, while the other actively seeks to absolve a driver (the truck just ran away...) who may yet be charged with criminal negligence or manslaughter

sumgy 09-30-19 07:10 PM

Person on bicycle killed by person not in control of car.

tomato coupe 09-30-19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21145053)
How about "Dentist killed by Soccer Mom"? "Landscaper runs over cycling schoolteacher" ? Lots of ways both parties in a story can be represented by a person and not imbalanced where only one is a type of person, the other is a type of vehicle.

The occupation of the perpetrator or the victim is not usually considered noteworthy enough to be headline-worthy. An exception might be something like "Cyclist Killed by Senator" or "Judge Killed on Bicycle". But, those are all much different from a headline of the type, "Cyclist Killed by a Person Driving a Truck", which contains information that is unnecessary.

Originally Posted by bipedalconsumer (Post 21145063)
"Cyclist killed by drunk driver" and "cyclist killed by runaway truck" imply vastly different kinds of things - one puts criminal guilt squarely on a driver who may not even have been convicted, while the other actively seeks to absolve a driver (the truck just ran away...) who may yet be charged with criminal negligence or manslaughter

Yes, those hypothetical headlines are different, as they contain additional information that likely would be considered important and headline-worthy.

My only point is that you don't see headlines like "Cyclist Killed by a Person Driving a Truck" because headlines are meant to short and to-the-point, and they only contain the most important information. It has nothing to do with media bias, as suggested earlier.

bipedalconsumer 09-30-19 07:28 PM

In some way or other it seems that drivers have always been given a special benefit of the doubt when operating big deadly machines - I suppose you never needed specialized training to ride a horse either

There is probably a strongly reasonable argument for suspending drivers license after one or two "accidents"

But I guess barring a person from driving is considered (and often is) a huge imposition, especially in America

Metieval 09-30-19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21144946)
That's right. That's why "Cyclist Killed by Truck" is sufficient. The primary goal of headlines is to be short and to the point.

"Cyclist killed by Driver" is short and to the point also.

tomato coupe 10-01-19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 21145319)
"Cyclist killed by Driver" is short and to the point also.

Sure, but which conveys more information?

"Cyclist Killed by Driver" or "Cyclist Killed by Truck"

sumgy 10-01-19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21145323)

The one that doesn't dehumanize anyone.

Metieval 10-01-19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21145323)

well a truck doesn't kill anyone ever. A person driving it can kill someone. A person being negligent in parking it can lead to the possibility of it rolling.

The way you argue it, drunk drivers don't kill people either, because their truck did?

I just want truthful information. Thanks!

tomato coupe 10-01-19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 21145327)
well a truck doesn't kill anyone ever. A person driving it can kill someone. A person being negligent in parking it can lead to the possibility of it rolling.

No one is arguing that trucks, by themselves, kill people. If a headline reads "Cyclist Killed by Truck", the implication is that the cyclist was killed by a truck while being driven by someone. It doesn't imply the truck was responsible, the truck was driverless, or the truck fell out of the sky and landed on the cyclist.

The way you argue it, drunk drivers don't kill people either, because their truck did?
Not at all. If a cyclist is killed by a drunk driver, the headline likely would be "Cyclist Killed by Drunk Driver". That conveys the most important detail.

Metieval 10-01-19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21145333)

Not at all. If a cyclist is killed by a drunk driver, the headline likely would be "Cyclist Killed by Drunk Driver". That conveys the most important detail.

I thought you likes short and to the point?

"Drunk driver kills cyclist"

4 words vs 6 words.

If you are going to set standards, then hold yourself to the standards you set!!! Please. Enough with the wishy washy BS

tomato coupe 10-01-19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 21145339)
I thought you likes short and to the point?

"Drunk driver kills cyclist"

4 words vs 6 words.

Sure, that's better. (But your counting skills need some work.)

If you are going to set standards, then hold yourself to the standards you set!!! Please. Enough with the wishy washy BS
I'm not trying to set any standards. I'm using hypothetical headlines to illustrate a point.

Metieval 10-01-19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21145341)
Sure, that's better. (But your counting skills need some work.)

I'm not trying to set any standards. I'm using hypothetical headlines to illustrate a point.

typing skills, ;)

Hermes 10-01-19 08:18 AM

This thread is closed.