Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Strava as dating app? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206874)

Toadmeister 07-10-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21579843)
Wonder if this is point where I reveal that both sets of my parents (biological and adoptive) were interracial couples, that I was raised mostly in incredibly diverse environments (e.g., my neighborhood and most of my schools) and, therefore, harbor no feelings of hatred to anyone based on race, national origin, etc.

I spend a lot of time in the sun, so I’m glad I’m not pasty. I’m also glad I’m not poor. That doesn’t make me a “classist.”

I think you quoted the wrong post in this response.

Wileyrat 07-10-20 10:48 AM

Man I'm getting old, I used to meet women the old fashioned way...….In bars.

I guess the dating scene has changed in 35 yrs.

indyfabz 07-10-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Toadmeister (Post 21579894)
I think you quoted the wrong post in this response.

Naw. Just poorly worded the first sentence. Should have written something like "reveal to him..."

Pugs2xLove 07-11-20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by eyemkeith (Post 21577733)
Is it any great wonder more women aren't into cycling? Jesus, just let them ride.

Maybe not in your area but I've seen more women cycling now than the past 3 years or so.

Pugs2xLove 07-11-20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 21579905)
Man I'm getting old, I used to meet women the old fashioned way...….In bars.

I guess the dating scene has changed in 35 yrs.

What if some people aren't into the bar scenes or are light/non-drinkers? I've never met women in bars or clubs before and don't drink.

Troul 07-11-20 05:13 PM

I'd not want to meet a female in the bars in the local-ish area. The ones drinking, getting white claw trashed; There's a reason as to why the single female is there [in the local-ish establishments] & it is not to be a self-respecting individual. Maybe 20 years ago it was fine, but now... it's just a person with a lot of baggage.

mstateglfr 07-11-20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by eyemkeith (Post 21577829)
Yes. You hear that from women all the time. Why, oh why, aren't there more men around me while I'm running, or at the grocery store, or walking down the street, or at the gym. It's a real problem you're addressing, for certain. Good on you.

If strava had a meet others/dating option, then it would obviously be an optional opt-in feature since it wouldn't apply to the massive % of users who are married or in long term relationships.
Since it would be optional, any women who choose to participate in the dating option would clearly want to meet others. This then renders your comments moot.

And if strava were to switch entirely to a dating app, then those who use is would know it is a dating app and the complaints you mention wouldn't happen since women using strava would know it and therefore want to use it.

Either way, the hypothetical scenario neednt play out in dramatic fashion like you claim.

Wileyrat 07-11-20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove (Post 21581953)
What if some people aren't into the bar scenes or are light/non-drinkers? I've never met women in bars or clubs before and don't drink.

Thanks for sharing. Try lightening up, it wasn't meant to be a serious post.

datlas 07-11-20 06:50 PM

If they marketed an add-on dating module available for premium members, maybe they could solve their financial problems.

eyemkeith 07-11-20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21582337)
If strava had a meet others/dating option, then it would obviously be an optional opt-in feature since it wouldn't apply to the massive % of users who are married or in long term relationships.
Since it would be optional, any women who choose to participate in the dating option would clearly want to meet others. This then renders your comments moot.

And if strava were to switch entirely to a dating app, then those who use is would know it is a dating app and the complaints you mention wouldn't happen since women using strava would know it and therefore want to use it.

Either way, the hypothetical scenario neednt play out in dramatic fashion like you claim.

Naturally, if you change entirely the way Strava is set up, I agree, yes, it would of course eliminate the creepiness of it all. But the fact is, Strava is a bike app, marketed to and used by bike riders, for bike riding purposes. No one has signed up, agreed to, or asked to be hit on, stalked, or otherwise even politely approached for dating purposes through the app, and therefore should not be. End of story.

indyfabz 07-11-20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21582212)
I'd not want to meet a female in the bars in the local-ish area. The ones drinking, getting white claw trashed; There's a reason as to why the single female is there [in the local-ish establishments] & it is not to be a self-respecting individual. Maybe 20 years ago it was fine, but now... it's just a person with a lot of baggage.

Sounds like a rough neighborhood. 😀

jack pot 07-11-20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 21574938)
strava seems like an excellent vehicle to meet people like u for dates. if say your a handsome lady, great build good tan nice bike better kit than most who seeks same but a dude. >>>>>>>>>>> why not strava.
thoughts?

... why on earth strava if you are a handsome lady:thumb:, great build:thumb: good tan:thumb: nice bike:thumb: better kit than most:thumb:who seeks dude:roflmao2:

mstateglfr 07-11-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by eyemkeith (Post 21582373)
Naturally, if you change entirely the way Strava is set up, I agree, yes, it would of course eliminate the creepiness of it all. But the fact is, Strava is a bike app, marketed to and used by bike riders, for bike riding purposes. No one has signed up, agreed to, or asked to be hit on, stalked, or otherwise even politely approached for dating purposes through the app, and therefore should not be. End of story.

Its a discussion of a hypothetical scenario.
Strava wouldn't need to entirely change how its set up. You could simply opt in or out of the dating side of the app. All the rest could remain the same.

I dont think its a good idea, but thats just because in don't think its a sound business plan.
as it is, strava is a social platform with analytics. Adding dating to that is simply an expansion of the social aspect that is already at the core of what strava is.
end of story.

Troul 07-11-20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21582397)
Sounds like a rough neighborhood. 😀

Sign of the times. If I could easily move, I would have done it already. Betweeb work, fam/friends, & other roots grown, it just isnt in the cards right now to find new soil to grown in.

eyemkeith 07-11-20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21582337)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21582473)
Its a discussion of a hypothetical scenario.
Strava wouldn't need to entirely change how its set up. You could simply opt in or out of the dating side of the app. All the rest could remain the same.

I dont think its a good idea, but thats just because in don't think its a sound business plan.
as it is, strava is a social platform with analytics. Adding dating to that is simply an expansion of the social aspect that is already at the core of what strava is.
end of story.

The OP never brought up expanding Strava for anything, just using it for an unintended, and severely creepy, purpose. So the discussion, for 60-some posts, was never about "a hypothetical scenario." It was a discussion about using an app for an unintended purpose. Your tangential addition to that discussion does not supplant the original thread, regardless of your assessment of a profitable "business plan."

Using a biking app as a dating app is freaking creepy. Full stop.

devianb 07-12-20 07:20 PM

"Hot cyclists in your area looking for long, hard rides!" Click here to find out who.

robbiesd 07-13-20 11:31 AM

BAD Idea!
Plenty of dating app if that's what one wants.

Twang -O- Doom 07-13-20 02:52 PM

Wanna come over and see my... Segments sometime?

Danhedonia 07-13-20 10:49 PM

Talk about new KOM possibilities.

And of course: "Show us how he touched you on the bicycle."

SHBR 07-13-20 11:33 PM

Double fail.

Strava, and online dating!

It seems silly to me to insist that your spouse or partner has to have the same interests, especially cycling.

My wife hated bikes before she met me!

BentRider56 07-14-20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by REDMASTA (Post 21579846)
i am a meat popsicle

LOL
"I'm a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made of stardust", pedaling a naked skeleton made of stardust.

Do what you love. Check your draft from time to time, and improvise as appropriate.

rsbob 12-22-20 11:11 PM

Met my wife of 20 years on Match who also was a cyclist, skier, hiker and shared the same politics and religious perspectives, etc. It was a purpose built app for putting people together with tons of money invested to make it work, if the user actually commits to answering the zillions of questions. Strava could not even come close to the level of detail required to become a successful dating app other than, I’m into fitness and riding, what about you?