Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pulling the trigger, my last question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=889518)

EnsitMike 05-13-13 04:27 PM

Pulling the trigger, my last question

Sorry guys, I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but I've just been to the shop and have two major options and the choice is ready to be made today.

They both fit great, so please give me your opinions. My fear is carbon and it's durability, but I'm ready to put my lack of knowledge aside and trust you guys, lets get the vote.

'13 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX 6 TIAGRA
http://incycle.com/product/13cannond...a-178794-1.htm

OR '13 CANNONDALE CAAD10 5 105 C (down to $1549 not $1700)
http://incycle.com/product/13cannond...c-178755-1.htm

bianchi10 05-13-13 04:33 PM

caad10 105. supersix is great frame, I have one. but I'd take 105 over tiagra. Tiagra on a SS is like having a Corvette with a honda civic transmittion.

EnsitMike 05-13-13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bianchi10 (Post 15621793)
caad10 105. supersix is great frame, I have one. but I'd take 105 over tiagra. Tiagra on a SS is like having a Corvette with a honda civic transmittion.

Thanks for the vote! :speedy:

bianchi10 05-13-13 04:48 PM

meh... I'd still go with the caad10. especially because you are a beginner. The Caad10 is a great bike. good geometry, stiff and light. outfitted with 105 will be a great set up. Learn on that bike and ride the crap out of it. Spend your money on good shorts, jersey, shoes, helmet and garmin. Then after a year or so, sell the caad10 and upgrade bike and components.

dtrain 05-13-13 04:50 PM

So the SuperSix is $200 cheaper? I'd go that route.

adrien 05-13-13 05:00 PM

Stare at photos of each for 5 minutes. Have a glass of wine. Dream about the road you like the best. Look down.

Buy the bike you picture in your mind's eye.

Not to oversimplify, but -- you've narrowed it down to fine choices. A proven alloy frame many love with a solid mid-level group set, or carbon wonderbike with a slightly downmarket groupset that you can wear out before upgrading it. Tough call.

Buy the one you'll want to ride more.

Then stop getting online and go ride the damn thing.

Ooompa Loompa 05-13-13 05:11 PM

Personally I'd go with the Supersix6. It's cheaper, it's carbon, and there is nothing wrong with modern day Tiagra components.

Cfiber 05-13-13 06:05 PM

What?

Carbon vs Aluminum!.....That's a no brainer!

Tiagra is too darn close to 105 anyway!

However, it still amazes me as to how much respect CAAD 10's get in clubs....

pdedes 05-13-13 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cfiber (Post 15622086)
What?

Carbon vs Aluminum!.....That's a no brainer!

Tiagra is too darn close to 105 anyway!

However, it still amazes me as to how much respect CAAD 10's get in clubs....

The only thing that gets respect in the clubs is how fast you go

halfspeed 05-13-13 07:13 PM

The SuperSix is one of the nicest riding frames I've been on. I loved my old CAAD 8 as well, but the SS is the way to go.

BoomMcNasty 05-13-13 07:23 PM

I was in a very similar situation about 4 months ago, went with the CAAD based on components. Other than a few test rides I have no experience with the SS, but, I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy the CAAD!

IcySmooth52 05-13-13 08:14 PM

2013 Tiagra is essentially the old 105. I'd say go carbon with older 105 than aluminum, newer 105.

bike4fun12 05-13-13 09:09 PM

supersix for sure. carbon.

if tuned right, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 105 and tiagra. I could hardly tell between rival, force, amd apex. now, red, that's a whole different comparison.

RoadMike 05-14-13 12:29 AM

Get the CAAD 10. Race the **** out of it. When it's time to upgrade to some thing really nice, you'll have a really kick ass backup/crit bike.

coasting 05-14-13 12:43 AM

Get the carbon. Components get worn out eventually and tiagra is ecxellent especially if you are a beginner. I have ultegra and tiagra. Both are great. Carbon frame will feel smoother and youll enjoy the r ide more.

EnsitMike 05-14-13 01:44 AM

Thank you everyone for the input, you all helped tremendously. From the very first vote till now, both bikes have been neck and neck , and it has come back to me to do more or less what Adrian said-- to pick my favorite for myself.

I went back this evening and got to test ride them one after the other, making it easy to compare. Unfortunately, the Tiagras felt absolutely terrible, to the point that I used the word unacceptable, however the chain was jumping around and almost jumped off the cranks in the first 5 minutes, so they are doing a tune-up and I go back tomorrow to hopefully what is a wonderfully functioning bike. They are also very squishy and ergonomically less refined, but like many of you have said, excellent components to thrash, and replace with Ultegra later on.

So, I have decided that if the shifting can be cleaned up, I will be getting the SuperSix. It is really a beautiful bike, and I feel great when riding it. I also feel incredibly proud-- not in a way that says "hey look at me" , but as a designer, in a way that says I fully appreciate the craft and workmanship of my machine. In person, the supersix is a thing of art.

If things are not improved upon, then the CAAD10 will be coming home with me. Either way though, I'll be back with picturesvery soon!

Thanks again guys!

coasting 05-14-13 01:56 AM

Sounds like set up error on the tiagra, but if you don't like the feel of them then that is a negative. Still, I think frame is more important. Are you planning on riding longish distances or racing?

EnsitMike 05-14-13 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by coasting (Post 15623145)
Sounds like set up error on the tiagra, but if you don't like the feel of them then that is a negative. Still, I think frame is more important. Are you planning on riding longish distances or racing?

I have a group started that are getting into cycling all at once. Initially we want to do distance to really build a nice base for a year or so and get comfortable on road bikes as most of us are coming from mountain, although in the future I want to jump into the race scene if I have the time. Mainly distance with a fair amount of climbing and descents though.

coasting 05-14-13 02:36 AM

If that's the case, I would stick with my carbon recommendation. Longer rides is where you notice the comfort more. I can't say about aluminium because I went from steel to carbon but that was the difference between feeling beat up or comfy after 60 miles.

tjax 05-14-13 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by coasting (Post 15623162)
If that's the case, I would stick with my carbon recommendation. Longer rides is where you notice the comfort more. I can't say about aluminium because I went from steel to carbon but that was the difference between feeling beat up or comfy after 60 miles.

Post a pic here with whatever you picked.

coasting 05-14-13 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by tjax (Post 15623165)
Post a pic here with whatever you picked.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ycling/1-1.jpg

From this nice steely. I since converted it to SS.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...-cycling/1.jpg

BillyD 05-14-13 04:37 AM

Go aluminum, less worries.

timmy29er 05-14-13 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by EnsitMike (Post 15623127)
Thank you everyone for the input, you all helped tremendously. From the very first vote till now, both bikes have been neck and neck , and it has come back to me to do more or less what Adrian said-- to pick my favorite for myself.

I went back this evening and got to test ride them one after the other, making it easy to compare. Unfortunately, the Tiagras felt absolutely terrible, to the point that I used the word unacceptable, however the chain was jumping around and almost jumped off the cranks in the first 5 minutes, so they are doing a tune-up and I go back tomorrow to hopefully what is a wonderfully functioning bike. They are also very squishy and ergonomically less refined, but like many of you have said, excellent components to thrash, and replace with Ultegra later on.

So, I have decided that if the shifting can be cleaned up, I will be getting the SuperSix. It is really a beautiful bike, and I feel great when riding it. I also feel incredibly proud-- not in a way that says "hey look at me" , but as a designer, in a way that says I fully appreciate the craft and workmanship of my machine. In person, the supersix is a thing of art.

If things are not improved upon, then the CAAD10 will be coming home with me. Either way though, I'll be back with picturesvery soon!

Thanks again guys!

If they can't get the Tiagra to shift properly, I'd question the ability of that particular LBS. I had Tiagra (9 speed) on my Defy Advanced and I had no issues with the shifting whatsoever. I'm glad I chose frame over components.