Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Gloves (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172205)

FiftySix 05-05-19 09:18 AM

Gloves

My hands go numb much too quickly.

It's worse on my Norco with northroad type bars than on my Schwinn with a more "motorcycle" type bend. Both have ergonomic grips. The Norco bar is maybe an inch lower than the Schwinn.

10 minutes and my hands are going numb on the Norco, while the Schwinn takes at least 20 minutes.

I'm afraid the ultimate answer is a different set of bars and stem for the Norco, but I was wondering what gloves y'all may be using to help with hand numbness?

delbiker1 05-05-19 09:31 AM

I have chronic spinal and shoulder issues and what gloves I am using do not make much difference in my hands going numb, as long as they fit properly but not tightly. I have to change positions a lot to prevent/ease hand numbness. I also take one hand at a time off of the bar and drop them to the side, and shake them around. My hands seem to do better with non-padded gloves, or at least minimal padding. The changes for the way I am gripping the bar can be very subtle, in and out, foward and back, roll a bit left and right, etc. Drop bars are much better for me.

rumrunn6 05-05-19 09:33 AM

If this helps, I noticed my Pearl Izumi winter gloves have impressive palm pads

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aaaeed20fe.jpg

jadocs 05-05-19 09:39 AM

Unfortunately this has more to do with where your center of gravity is on the bike in relation to its geometry and your riding style. If it’s too far forward you will be supporting yourself with your arms and hands = too much pressure in your hands. Your seat and reach should be adjusted where you are able to support yourself with your core.

WarrenR 05-05-19 09:47 AM

I find if I leave my palms flat on the bar it will cut off the circulation, but if I roll the contact point to one side or the other I can feel the numbness going away. And I have trekking bars so that gives me lots of relief positions.

fietsbob 05-05-19 10:28 AM

In the cold weather I wear gloves , I resolve numbness by taking one hand off the bars occasionally ..

Ergon GR 3 grips on 2 bikes , Seem better than round ones.

FiftySix 05-05-19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 20914912)
Unfortunately this has more to do with where your center of gravity is on the bike in relation to its geometry and your riding style. If it’s too far forward you will be supporting yourself with your arms and hands = too much pressure in your hands. Your seat and reach should be adjusted where you are able to support yourself with your core.

I'm one of those people that don't look out of shape, but my core has turned into a gelatinous marshmallow. It's all due to a surgical procedure I had in my mid-40s where my muscles were sucked out and the voids were filled with marshmallow paste. :50:

Back to reality, I'm leaning toward getting a different stem as the seat on the Norco is maxed forward. :o

fietsbob 05-05-19 01:25 PM

this one has a 4.5cm reach and bars higher than the seat ..

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4e&oe=5CDBED48

late 05-09-19 08:56 AM

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/gelpaleandco.html

FiftySix 05-09-19 10:42 AM

I have slightly higher stem on the way, but I sure am liking some of these gloves y'all are showing. My "winter" gloves are just too dang hot for this time of year.

Summer gloves ought to be effective for preventing road rash if nothing else. :o

Mtl01 05-09-19 10:54 AM

My problem was mostly with my wrists hurting (I ride a hybrid). I just got summer gloves with small pads and they seem to be helping a lot. That little bit of padding on the palms really makes a difference. Might be worth a try to help with your hands.

TimothyH 05-09-19 10:57 AM

Giro Strade Dure probably have the most/best padding.

Gloves are not going to correct a bad fit however. Numb hands usually means too much weight on the bars due to too much saddle to bar drop or bars too low.

It can also be caused by bending the wrists, locked elbows, etc,, all of which is corrected by fit.

Gloves can only do so much.

Carbonfiberboy 05-09-19 11:32 AM

Numb hands is mostly a fit issue - too much weight on hands. Sore wrists the same. Saddle back, more reach is what one does. Besides that, there's the Numb Hands post. And wear gloves with ulnar nerve relief.

caloso 05-09-19 01:18 PM

I solved my numb hands by going bare handed.

TimothyH 05-09-19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 20921662)
Numb hands is mostly a fit issue - too much weight on hands. Sore wrists the same. Saddle back, more reach is what one does. Besides that, there's the Numb Hands post. And wear gloves with ulnar nerve relief.

I have ulnar nerve damage in one arm.

Can you recommend a specific glove designed for this?

-Tim-

teejaywhy 05-09-19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by late (Post 20921373)

I bought a pair of these because they are a throwback to my first pair of cycling gloves I had back in the '70's (albeit with a lot more padding).

Carbonfiberboy 05-09-19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20921973)
I have ulnar nerve damage in one arm.

Can you recommend a specific glove designed for this?

-Tim-

Any Bontrager padded road glove among others. Most road gloves have ulnar relief. Browse your LBS - you must know what you are looking for since you've been diagnosed. I've had my best luck adopting hand positions which don't press on that area, especially the vertical hand on hoods, thumb over the top position.

Carbonfiberboy 05-09-19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 20922000)
I bought a pair of these because they are a throwback to my first pair of cycling gloves I had back in the '70's (albeit with a lot more padding).

You betcha old school numb hands gloves. No ulnar relief at all. Try something that will help, instead.

teejaywhy 05-09-19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 20922159)
You betcha old school numb hands gloves. No ulnar relief at all. Try something that will help, instead.

Like what? 'Splain please.

02Giant 05-09-19 07:03 PM

My hand numbness is related to carpel tunnel issues in both hands. My thinking, for a long time, was more padding in my gloves would be better. I have since found that less pad, and a different type was better. I am now riding with Specialized Grail Gloves; https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bo...=248920-156948 The numbness isn't gone, but it takes quite a bit longer to set in.

First surgery is the end of June, the second to follow asap.

Carbonfiberboy 05-09-19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 20922176)
Like what? 'Splain please.

So I googled images of "cycling gloves ulnar relief" and this image came up. It happens to be of s Serfas RX glove. Note where the padding is not.

https://www.letour.com.au/assets/alt_1/JRW-BB-2.jpg

canklecat 05-10-19 12:16 AM

Assuming good bike fit...

I've mostly switched from relying on gloves for comfort to using bar grips and wrap to do the job -- and usually better.

On the hybrid with Nitto albatross bars I use chunky rubber grips with palm shelf supports, like a cheap version of Ergon grips, minus the locking collar. Friction fit holds fine. I was tempted to warp the bar instead of using grips, but it's so comfortable now I don't want to mess it up.

I still might wrap the albatross bar beyond the grip. I change hand positions often while riding that bike, between just ahead of the brakes, to the forward arched part of the bar to get more aero. Moving hand positions a lot helps reduce discomfort. The bare metal bar isn't bad in good weather, but I don't ride in any single position for longer than a few minutes at a time.

On my road bikes with drops I use various thick, resilient foam wraps -- Arundel and other brands. Recently I've been trying Arundel Synth Gecko wraps, which they say are 100% silicone. Very grippy and comfy, but kinda gawky and ugly.

With those, and some improvements in overall fitness (I've been in PT on and off for a year, which helps), and bike fit, I don't really need gloves at all any more. I wear thin full gloves for chilly weather, but they have little or no padding. And recently I got a pair of Giro Zero CS glove-lets with zero padding. It's just for abrasion resistance, which I may not even need. I have a nice set of Garneau gloves with ergonomically designed pads, but I don't really need them now and sometimes the pads actually bother me.

Anyway, if you haven't done so already, try better grips or wrap on the bars. That made the most difference for me.

FiftySix 05-10-19 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20921839)
I solved my numb hands by going bare handed.

That's what I've been doing the last few weeks, but going gloveless on the Norco seems to make things worse. :(

teejaywhy 05-10-19 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 20922518)
So I googled images of "cycling gloves ulnar relief" and this image came up. It happens to be of s Serfas RX glove. Note where the padding is not.

https://www.letour.com.au/assets/alt_1/JRW-BB-2.jpg

Interesting. Thank you.

tcs 05-10-19 07:19 AM

Hmm, everyone else's issues with numbness in the hands seem to actually reside in the hands. For the last half-century or so of my riding career, my hands will go numb when I allow my neck to drop into my shoulders as I ride. If I hold my head up (the good posture my mom encouraged!) the numbness goes away.