Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Trek vs Gary Fisher (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=568493)

Vince868 07-30-09 06:08 PM

Trek vs Gary Fisher

I have a friend who is looking to buy his first mountain bike. He is looking at Trek but the local bike store who sells both Trek and Gary Fisher to consider the Gary Fisher as well as GF is a sister company of Trek and Trek actually makes the GF. Can anyone shed some light on this and any recommendations as to which bike to buy. Budget is around $1500.

lmtada 07-30-09 09:45 PM

Get the Trek

I purchased a fuel 100 a few years ago, and had it serviced at the bike shop I purchased it from, every year. One year I took it back and they noticed the frame was cracked. Trek replaced the frame with a full carbon 110 frame (awesome). The bike is one fast bike. Therefore those are my reasons I will stay with Trek. Why waste all your time trying to find out the greatest, they are all good.
Just get out and ride, enjoy it.:thumb::thumb::thumb::twitchy:

jjbod1 07-30-09 09:47 PM

The Fisher frame is going to be a bit longer. Its all a matter of what feels right to the person riding the bike. :)

eminefes 07-30-09 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by lmtada (Post 9390241)
I purchased a fuel 100 a few years ago, and had it serviced at the bike shop I purchased it from, every year. One year I took it back and they noticed the frame was cracked. Trek replaced the frame with a full carbon 110 frame (awesome). The bike is one fast bike. Therefore those are my reasons I will stay with Trek. Why waste all your time trying to find out the greatest, they are all good.
Just get out and ride, enjoy it.:thumb::thumb::thumb::twitchy:

Gary Fisher is owned by Trek and has the same warranty. But why waste time researching other bike companies when Trek is obviously the only one that matters? :rolleyes:

Duce97 07-30-09 10:19 PM

Both are very good bikes , at the 1500 dollar level you wont notice to much differance in the way they are built.

plasticmaam12 07-30-09 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jjbod1 (Post 9390248)
The Fisher frame is going to be a bit longer. Its all a matter of what feels right to the person riding the bike. :)

Ditto this. OP, do a search on "Genesis Geometry". It's what makes Fisher unique. It also limits your fork choices down the road for upgrades or warranty or whatever.

n00bL35 07-31-09 07:00 AM

Never heard anything bad about either. Tell him to go buy the GF Hoo Koo E Koo if he wants a hardtail or the Trek Fuel EX 5.5 if he wants FS.

mtbabruni 07-31-09 11:04 AM

You can easily get a Trek Fuel Ex 7 for 1600. Big step up from the 5.5

dminor 07-31-09 12:13 PM

*** Runs away holding his head and screaming . . . .