Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   winter bib tights (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243463)

bonsai171 12-09-21 09:11 AM

winter bib tights

Can I get some suggestions for Winter Bib tights? Need something that will be warm enough for 30 degree or so (Fahrenheit), definitely needs to have ankle zippers and a chamois (I prefer slightly stiffer ones). Pockets would be nice, but not a necessity. Definitely needs to be durable. Budget is around $100.

Dave

chaadster 12-09-21 09:47 AM

$100 is a little shy of the going rate for those things, but you may be able to find some sale options, like these Gore thermal bib tights:

https://www.backcountry.com/gore-wea...BiaWIgdGlnaHQ=

woodcraft 12-09-21 11:16 AM

I've been happy with these :

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-flashli...ign=buy-button

sarhog 12-09-21 04:00 PM

I’d look to Black Bibs

shelbyfv 12-09-21 04:18 PM

Another vote for dhb from Wiggle or CRC. I can't remember which model I have but the fabric is nice, sort of fleecy on the inside. The chamois is comfy but a little bulky. They do not have ankle zippers. I find this to be a minor issue since I'm not ever going to be putting them on over my shoes.

Sy Reene 12-09-21 05:05 PM

I get along with Garneau chamois (ymmv). Excel has a Garneau winter bib tight -- might be worth looking at. Good value imo
https://www.excelsports.com/louis-ga...ois-bib-tights

bonsai171 12-09-21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22334759)
Another vote for dhb from Wiggle or CRC. I can't remember which model I have but the fabric is nice, sort of fleecy on the inside. The chamois is comfy but a little bulky. They do not have ankle zippers. I find this to be a minor issue since I'm not ever going to be putting them on over my shoes.

The Dhb's in the link above are tempting. I usually prefer ankle zippers, but have had some winter tights without that were really great. Plus, the cut of the Dhb's looks like it will work well for my body type. Do they ride up? Any issues with them stretching out? For the price they are hard to pass up too. How do they fit? I prefer a snug fit that doesn't bunch up.

Dave

sw20 12-09-21 05:46 PM

My go to winter bibs:
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens...uct/CPD02XXBLK

shelbyfv 12-09-21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bonsai171 (Post 22334830)
The Dhb's in the link above are tempting. I usually prefer ankle zippers, but have had some winter tights without that were really great. Plus, the cut of the Dhb's looks like it will work well for my body type. Do they ride up? Any issues with them stretching out? For the price they are hard to pass up too. How do they fit? I prefer a snug fit that doesn't bunch up.

Dave

I used their size chart which worked well for me. The legs are snug and don't ride up, they are plenty long as well. The bib part is stretchy snug but not constricting. Mine could be a little less roomy in the butt to better corral the chamois but feel fine on the bike. I think the current Cytech chamois may be nicer than what they used last year. Hard to differentiate among the several versions but all seem good value.

chaadster 12-09-21 09:44 PM

Those DHB sound really good, as in almost too good to be true, especially with an Elastic Interface Tech chamois. I guess Wiggle is really leveraging their scale on that one more so than cutting corners on features, material, and construction. It’s so hard to tell where the value is without having the product in hand, though, so shelbyfv ’s review is particularly helpful.

Carbonfiberboy 12-09-21 09:49 PM

I much prefer tights worn over shorts. Keeps the important stuff warmer and shorts have a more dependably tight fit. Plus I already have shorts with the exact chamois and fit I like. Why go shopping for something I might not like? Thinking about just the tights, each model of tights is designed for a particular weather condition: temperature range and precipitation. It's good to know exactly what to expect in terms of performance. Website reviews are often helpful. I think zippers are a big deal as they allow one to zip the tights down on the outside of booties, restricting water access to your shoes.

woodcraft 12-09-21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22334759)

Mine do.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...effb89b644.jpg

Badger6 12-10-21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by sw20 (Post 22334842)

The pad in the core line is decent, not great. But, regardless OP has capped his spend at $100, so anything in the Rapha line is out.

I prefer these (for the “cargo” pockets. But they are spendy, and definitely not what the OP is looking for. They’re warm and durable, though…and my first set is in it’s 4th year, with near daily use in all sorts of winter weather.
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens...uct/BCT02XXBLK

Fox Farm 12-10-21 06:56 AM

Pearl Izumi Am Phib are very warm and well priced and of course well made.

Sy Reene 12-10-21 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 22335069)
I much prefer tights worn over shorts. Keeps the important stuff warmer and shorts have a more dependably tight fit. Plus I already have shorts with the exact chamois and fit I like. Why go shopping for something I might not like? Thinking about just the tights, each model of tights is designed for a particular weather condition: temperature range and precipitation. It's good to know exactly what to expect in terms of performance. Website reviews are often helpful. I think zippers are a big deal as they allow one to zip the tights down on the outside of booties, restricting water access to your shoes.

Just curious, do you:
double-bib,
or shorts are bibbed, tights are not, or
shorts are shorts, tights are bibbed

shelbyfv 12-10-21 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 22335080)

Yep. I was just pointing out they have three or four versions of bib tights. Some zip, some don't. I have dhb bib shorts, bib knickers and bib tights and I've been satisfied with all. When you order from UK, you have to be willing to live with a mistake since return shipping is so expensive. These were cheap enough that I could take a chance. When the first bib shorts worked out, I was confidant I could try some of their other products.

chaadster 12-10-21 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fox Farm (Post 22335239)
Pearl Izumi Am Phib are very warm and well priced and of course well made.

Yeah, I have some AmFibs I like quite a lot for those reasons, and also some Craft thermal bibs— the model name of which I can’t recall— that are also quite good, if a little less snuggly, but really I use them interchangeably. I think the IP have a bit more warmth because the Craft use a less wind resistant (or more breatheable) fabric on the back side of the thighs.

In any case, while both have ankle zips, neither have pockets and both are priced well beyond the price specified in the OP. IIRC, the AmFibs were $180, and I got the Craft on sale for $135. They’re both years old, though.

chaadster 12-10-21 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22335248)
Just curious, do you:
double-bib,

Yeah, that’s all too much really, isn’t it?!

I will admit that when temps are in the 40°F range, I will wear my Sugoi thermal bib shorts with thermal leg warmers— that’s the zone for that outfit!— so I do futz a bit, but trying to wear tights and shorts is a recipe for hassles and has never worked so well for me despite efforts many years ago. Bibs are warmer and more comfortable by design, and I’ve never seen a regular tight with the kind of waistband which would be comfy next to skin yet grip lycra enough to stay in place, so there’s just a lot of “getting it just right” that needs to happen when doubling up on shorts n’ tights.

Carbonfiberboy 12-10-21 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22335248)
Just curious, do you:
double-bib,

I never wear bibs when I have multiple upper body layers. In winter here, the only outdoor rides I do are 40-70 miles and don't want to get left in the porta-potti. Thus I don't have any bib tights.

oris 12-10-21 09:47 AM

It's going to be tough to find great quality bib tights for $100. I'd suggest bumping the budget up a bit and getting Castelli Tutto Nano bib tights.

You usually can find them on sale for about $150. They've got ankle zips and reflective cuffs as well.

shelbyfv 12-10-21 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 22335414)
and don't want to get left in the porta-potti.

:lol: Luckily, in all my years I've only had one mid-ride porta-potti emergency. It was probably 110 degrees in there. Bibs were involved. Jersey had to come off and was thrown out the door. I'm thankful phone and food didn't escape the pockets and fall down the hole. Five more minutes and my ride home would have been even more unpleasant.

chaadster 12-10-21 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by oris (Post 22335422)
It's going to be tough to find great quality bib tights for $100. I'd suggest bumping the budget up a bit and getting Castelli Tutto Nano bib tights.

You usually can find them on sale for about $150. They've got ankle zips and reflective cuffs as well.

Lemme know when Castelli make a XXXXL (= US Lg) :o

mcours2006 12-10-21 10:27 AM

Whether bibs or tights, and while zippers for the ankle cuff are convenient the sometimes will fail, I always opt for long tights without zippers now.

Sy Reene 12-10-21 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 22335444)
Lemme know when Castelli make a XXXXL (= US Lg) :o

They're not that bad. :) I wear an XL at 190lbs/6'2"/35" waist

Badger6 12-10-21 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by oris (Post 22335422)
It's going to be tough to find great quality bib tights for $100.

Define quality? Last a season, $100 is doable. Last 2, $100 might get you there….3, nope. Agree, bump the budget a bit, OP, and you’ll spend a chunk now and then not have to replace for several seasons.