Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Jacket recommendation for cool and rainy weather (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1034581)

nemeseri 10-14-15 05:06 PM

Jacket recommendation for cool and rainy weather

Do you guys have a jacket recommendation for cool (but not cold) and rainy weather? I'm looking for an outer layer for the bay area winter (38-48 and probably a lot of rain). I'd use it for early morning training rides and sometimes for rainy commutes.
Breathability is more important than perfect waterproofness.

I have several jerseys, but they can get heavy in rain. I also tried a rain jacket, but I ended up soaking inside in the mild weather and the jacket stuck to my arms.

I'm ok wearing just a base layer under the jacket and I was thinking about either the Castelli Gabba or the Rapha Pro Team Softshell. Do you guys have any first hand experience with them? I'm worried that they might be too much in the bay area mild winter.

trainsktg 10-14-15 05:30 PM

I use a Showers Pass jacket for rainy weather and as a cool/cold weather wind break. I have the Double Century, but it is discontinued, so the Elite model is probably the closest match. Highly recommended.

Keith

Element GT 10-14-15 05:37 PM

I have a first generation Gabba and I love it. Good from 40 up to a max of 60. I got it on sale in the spring so I didn't get much riding under 40 after I got it. (darn?) I typically get hot pretty easily but I assume you're probably similar if your rating 38-48 as cool and not cold.

bengreen79 10-14-15 06:17 PM

I have a Hincapie jacket a lot like this one: Hincapie.com: Fahrenheit Jacket that works well from 30-50 and is highly water resistant. Look around - I got it off bonktown for less than 1/3 of the list price published on the hincapie site. It could be a more visible but I wear it with a neon green backpack and sometimes a construction vest.

nastystang 10-14-15 06:42 PM

Last winter early spring I bought a Castelli Esspresso 3 jacket but have yet to use it but I am almost there, another month and it will be cold wet and dark here.

TCR Rider 10-14-15 09:04 PM

Another vote for the Gaba. I got one towards the end of last winter. I've worn it with a base layer down to the mid to upper 30's. Alone to the mid 50's. It has two zippered vents in the front when it gets too warm. Does a great job with wind and a drop down tail for protection from road water. I think it's available with zip off sleeves although I don't have that model. I'm really pleased with it.

colnago62 10-14-15 09:11 PM

Gabba is the way to go if you heat up when you ride. The Windstopper jackets tend to be too warm because they have insulation added to the garment.

Herbie53 10-14-15 09:36 PM

I bought one of these last year... found it great down to freezing (with the right base layer) and up to the mid 70's or so. Tight fitting, so if you don't like that, may not be for you.

Storm Hybrid Jacket | Pactimo

momo15 10-16-15 07:01 PM

The gabba is pretty great. I have the convertible, and I've had to take off the sleeves once or twice, but I usually throw anything from a thin workout shirt to a few layers underneath and head out the door.

C9H13N 10-17-15 06:02 AM

I have a Gore windstopper jacket (fusion cosmo). It's too warm for anything above 40F even with just a wicking T-shirt underneath. Should have bought a Gabba instead.

Carbonfiberboy 10-17-15 11:09 AM

I use a Voler Jet HiViz all winter here as my outer layer when it's damp, raining, or really cold. Stuffs to the size of a Naval orange. My coldest ride in it was 75 miles in heavy rain at a steady 36°. Hands got cold, otherwise fine. Very breathable, but not overly porous, either. Just right for someone who rides hard. $55.

TCR Rider 10-17-15 04:44 PM

I wore my Gaba today. Short sleeve base layer at 53 deg with winds between 12 - 20 mph. Really does a nice job blocking the wind. Felt totally comfortable for 75 miles.