Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cycling kit - leave labels and care tags on or off? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179402)

CarloM 07-26-19 10:35 AM

Cycling kit - leave labels and care tags on or cut them off?

So I've just gotten into the hobby, and have started buying real cycling kit after discovering what a huge difference it makes in feel, comfort, moisture-wicking, and aerodynamics. For most of my "normal" clothes I've never given a second thought to the tags. They're relatively small, unobtrusive, and remind me how to care for the fabric.

However, for cycling kit, they're often very long tags, and there are multiple of them. They're not uncomfortable, but for something that hugs your form very tightly I can imagine the labels might be able to be seen by others who look at you (I can't see them when I look down but often that's not representative of what others see. Since I'm trying to take care of my kit by always using cold water settings, gentle detergents, delicate cycle, delicate wash bags, and air-drying, I don't need the label to remind me how to wash them. But I'm also wary if I don't do a good job of cutting the tags, will I create an edge that is more uncomfortable to my skin than just leaving them on (where I don't feel/notice them but may be visible by others)?

What's the general consensus here? Tags on or cut them off?

seau grateau 07-26-19 10:49 AM

Cut em. I wash all my kit the same way so it's not like a reminder is necessary anyway.

Seattle Forrest 07-26-19 11:04 AM

I bought some new Arc'teryx clothes recently. They've been on sale, and still are at Backcountry.

The tags are obviously meant to be cut out. They're not sewn directly into the garmet, there's a flap of soft fabric coming out of the seam, with the tags attached to the other end. Cut the soft fabric, and there's nothing to chafe or annoy. Really nice touch.

My jerseys don't seem to have tags, which is even better. You could for War and Peace on the tags that come with some clothes now.

winston63 07-26-19 11:11 AM

Generally I cut them. If a tag is small and I can't feel it I might leave it on out of laziness, but any long tags are getting cut.

Princess_Allez 07-26-19 11:24 AM

I was in the same boat. I noticed Castelli has a lot of long obtrusive tags. I cut them all off. If it leaves any residual paper behind, make sure to cut in a semicircular fashion. That way there's no sharp edges.

CarloM 07-26-19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21045929)
I bought some new Arc'teryx clothes recently. They've been on sale, and still are at Backcountry.

The tags are obviously meant to be cut out. They're not sewn directly into the garment, there's a flap of soft fabric coming out of the seam, with the tags attached to the other end. Cut the soft fabric, and there's nothing to chafe or annoy. Really nice touch.

My jerseys don't seem to have tags, which is even better. You could for War and Peace on the tags that come with some clothes now.

Major bummer that it seems Castelli doesn't do this, especially since I've grown fond of their jerseys and bought 4 of them. Here's a pic of how the tag looks. Seems I'll have to exercise care to cut as close to the threads as possible without harming the integrity of the jersey...
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7bdd12563d.jpg

NoWhammies 07-26-19 12:20 PM

Cut. I don't like the extra weight.

Ogsarg 07-26-19 05:58 PM

Nobody is going to notice if you're tags are there or not. Cut em or don't. It's not something you need group approval for.

znomit 07-26-19 06:18 PM

Those things weigh like half a gram, of course I'm gonna cut them off!

MoAlpha 07-26-19 07:24 PM

I would be astounded if this weenie colony hadn’t already produced two threads on this topic.

roccobike 07-26-19 08:21 PM

Isn't there some federal law prohibiting cutting off tags.
:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:
I guess we're all going to jail. I wonder how much time you get for cutting off care tags. :roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

downhillmaster 07-27-19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21046658)
I would be astounded if this weenie colony hadn’t already produced two threads on this topic.

This lol

canklecat 07-27-19 04:15 AM

I add extra tags and wear them outside my kit. Just like Minnie Pearl's hats.

Princess_Allez 07-27-19 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by roccobike (Post 21046735)
Isn't there some federal law prohibiting cutting off tags.
:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:
I guess we're all going to jail. I wonder how much time you get for cutting off care tags. :roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

Pretty sure that applies to pillows, bed sheets and furniture only :lol:

superdex 07-27-19 09:52 AM

Cut them. especially since they can chafe or be bothersome. If you notice, some of the tags are paper-ish in texture; they're meant to be removed.

TimothyH 07-27-19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21046947)
I add extra tags and wear them outside my kit. Just like Minnie Pearl's hats.

Right. Exactly.

I leave the tags on and let them hang out if possible. Seeing the brand name helps other MUP riders identify me as a serious cyclist willing to pay more.

Thinking about turning my bibs inside-out. I figure the purple chamois will be more visible that way. Assos says that purple is the color of royalty you know.

-Tim-

eja_ bottecchia 07-27-19 08:39 PM

Isn’t it a Federal offense to remove label tags. :innocent:

CarloM 07-27-19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez (Post 21047112)
Pretty sure that applies to pillows, bed sheets and furniture only :lol:

It’s illegal for anyone but the consumer/purchaser to remove those tags. So the store shouldn’t do it. But you as the buyer can.

Princess_Allez 07-27-19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21047945)
Right. Exactly.

I leave the tags on and let them hang out if possible. Seeing the brand name helps other MUP riders identify me as a serious cyclist willing to pay more.

Thinking about turning my bibs inside-out. I figure the purple chamois will be more visible that way. Assos says that purple is the color of royalty you know.

-Tim-

Show off that coo-coo penthouse! :roflmao:

BCDrums 07-29-19 02:41 PM

You bet your Assos! :)

washed up 07-31-19 01:02 PM

I had a kit that had a dotted line with a pair of scissors indicating where to cut the tags. It was obvious they intended for the tags to be cut off.

indyfabz 07-31-19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by CarloM (Post 21046020)

That's almost as bad as a receipt from CVS.

#TheirOughtToBeALaw

Phil_gretz 07-31-19 01:40 PM

I wouldn't know..

... between my valet and the soigneurs, I rarely examine my riding gear.

CliffordK 07-31-19 01:45 PM

I usually leave tags on. I have several shorts and shirts that are silk-screened, so no sewn in tags.

I do remove tags if they are bothersome for one reason or another.