Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Fair value for 78 Raleigh Comp GS and 77 Gitane? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206128)

Zarathustra311 06-29-20 06:46 PM

Fair value for 78 Raleigh Comp GS and 77 Gitane?

Hi all: Thanks for the excellent wealth of knowledge you provide here. After lurking for a while, I have learned quite a bit about how to search for quality vintage bikes and I am trying to choose between a few I came across on CL here in D.C. I'm hoping you can give me opinions on quality and fair value for these two:
1) The first I really like is a 1978 Raleigh Competition GS for $650. The general consensus here seems to be that this is a sweet bike and it is advertised as "Campagnolo original parts. Reynolds 531 lugged frame. 22.5" seat tube." There is only one picture of it posted.

2) The second one that I really love is advertised as a 1977 Gitane TDF, also for $650. After reading several posts here and at a website one of you linked to, GitaneUSA, I am not sure this is actually a TDF rather than something like a 1974 Interclub, which looks pretty much identical to me. This is advertised as a three tube 531, but the GitaneUSA users said Gitane moved to the full frame 531 in 1976. It also has a couple of parts that don't seem common for the TDF at this time, but I've read Gitane was weird with swapping things in and out. Can you give me your opinion on this and what you think would be a fair price for it? Here are the specs s/he listed in the ad:
"Frame and fork: 1977 Gitane TDF in blue. Frame is Reynolds 531 steel (3 tubes) with Huret honeycomb dropouts. (Bike was not distributed in the United States so this frame is rare!)
Wheels and tires: Low-flange Exceltoo hubs with Mavic MA (700c) rims. Tires are brand new 700x23 Michelin Classic gum wall tires with new presta valve tubes. Hubs were just overhauled with new grease.
Brakes: Mafac brake levers with new Rustines gum half hoods and Mafac Competition brakes. Recently replaced brake cables.
Drivetrain: Drillium style, Stronglight crankset (54-42t) and 13-24t freewheel. New KMC 3/32" chain.
Derailleurs: Huret Challenger derailleurs and downtube shifters. Recently replaced derailleur cables.
Handlebars: Nitto Classic Silver Road handlebars on Pivo professional quill stem.
Saddle and grips: Challenge Pro professional saddle in black on fluted seatpost. Bars are wrapped with new (NOS) Ambrosio handlebar tape in yellow.
Bottom Bracket: Brand new, Velo Orange Grand Cru Cartridge Bottom Bracket (French threaded)"

Unfortunately I can't post pictures or links here, but both look like they are gorgeous and in pristine condition and I'd love either one assuming no obvious flaws when I go look at them, so I just want to see if the asking price for them is in the ballpark or if I should negotiate for something less. Thanks in advance!

urbannightrider 06-29-20 07:00 PM

No help on the post but just know that the brodel is inside you, it comes from within. ;)

Welcome to the board

Zarathustra311 06-29-20 07:06 PM

Is that a 311 reference? I approve, obviously.

branko_76 06-29-20 07:13 PM

Zarathustra311 , $650.00 for the Raleigh Competition is way too high. The seller gives no details regarding condition, history, etc. and only one photo. From what I can see, the saddle is a cheap replacement, the original would have been a nice Brooks leather saddle. I also see that the bike is mounted in a professional bike stand, so the seller apparently is a mechanic of sorts. The bike is over 40 years old so it should have had an overhaul recently.

https://images.craigslist.org/00N0N_...O_1200x900.jpg

bikemig 06-29-20 07:15 PM

We can't help you with prices without links to the ads; condition really matters in valuation. Those prices are high especially for the Gitane. Raleighs tend to be pricey as are British bikes in general. French vintage bikes are very good quality but tend to be priced less than equivalent bikes from other countries. I really like French bikes but there is no denying that they are a bit funky to work on.

Zarathustra311 06-29-20 07:20 PM

Thanks Branko. I'm hoping to go check it out tomorrow. It's been up for three days, which is actually pretty rare for great vintage bikes out here, so we'll see how it goes.

SurferRosa 06-30-20 01:34 AM

Both are overpriced by $200. But if you really need a bike and love either one, what's $200? It's basically like one week of heavy drinking.

But there are better local buys in that size range, starting with this totally rad, full-531 Puch: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...129827081.html

And this Trek: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...150332074.html

Zarathustra311 06-30-20 10:10 AM

Thanks all. I actually looked up threads on that Puch here and it seemed people thought it was a decent but not great bike. Hazelguy, I think the Gitane is beautiful, so I may end up checking that one out and just paying a little more than what it's worth if it fits me.

SurferRosa 06-30-20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zarathustra311 (Post 21561692)
I actually looked up threads on that Puch here and it seemed people thought it was a decent but not great bike.

"Decent"? It's the most high-end frameset of what's been posted here. And the componentry looks legit.

​​​​​

danmyersmn 06-30-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 21562222)
"Decent"? It's the most high-end frameset of what's been posted here. And the componentry looks legit.

​​​​​

Puch is under appreciated. I think it is a combination of the name and color ways don’t mAke you see sparkles.

SurferRosa 06-30-20 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by danmyersmn (Post 21562247)
Puch is under appreciated. I think it is a combination of the name and color don’t make you see sparkles.

A little wax, and that paint would sparkle. Needs hoods, black bar tape, and gumwalls. Which could be bought with the $200 savings ... along with $100 worth of bike tools to overhaul it and keep it perfectly tuned for decades.

But there are still things to watch out for. Might be a too small seatpost mounted. A different front wheel might have the buyer inspecting the front end for any bulges. Might just be the wrong size frame.

branko_76 06-30-20 08:07 PM

I would be very happy with that PUCH...

repechage 07-01-20 12:13 PM

I like the Gitane, not sure of the current bottom bracket... looks like a later sealed unit. Ask about it. And the threading type in the frame.
not cheap, but other than the down tilt saddle, of unknown brand the bike appears good. Should handle well.

Kabuki12 07-02-20 09:16 AM

I think the Competition GS is a fine bike. I am not one for the French bikes as most of my spares are English thread save for the Italian stuff. My Competition has served me well for 5-6 years and is in great shape , even the original Brooks Pro saddle. I paid $300 for it ( pretty much my limit for vintage racers so far) and feel I got a super deal from the original owner who never rode the bike. I did go through everything prior to riding it so you have to consider this at least $125 if you don't do the work yourself. As was mentioned , when you consider how much riding you get out of these classics , it is a good deal. I agree that $650 is a bit high for the Raleigh but I have seen them sell for even more this year and some for less. I very rarely sell a bike but if I do , it is just to get another one I want more! It ain't about profit and loss for me.

Zarathustra311 07-04-20 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, the Raleigh and Puch were both too big for me and someone bought the Gitane before I could. I ended up going with a Simonetti for $350 that looks to be around late 90s or early 2000s. It is a bit rough aesthetically, but I really like it anyway. I'll post some pictures after I clean it up. I couldn't find a whole lot of information about it outside of the odd history. It was built by Mike Howard, has Dura Ace crank and brakes, Mavic rims, King inset, and Tange prestige OS chromoly tubing.