Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   a list (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175449)

rumrunn6 06-12-19 11:27 AM

a list

been a long (9 yrs) since I've done a long round tripper to a work office. 11 yrs since I've done it w/o a shower. so I made a list :foo: also, got up at 5am today & thought to myself, if I were cycling in, I'd be leaving now ...:twitchy:

stock at work w/ car the day before:
food?
snacks?
vitamins & regular supplements I take daily, like lemons
bike lock

for wash up w/o shower
diluted shampoo
washcloth
hair care stuff
deodorant
2 hand towels

for the work day
underwear
socks
shoes
pants & accessory like belt or suspenders
shirt & undershirt

for the ride home
fresh headsweat
fresh cycling shorts
fresh shirt
re-use cycling socks
re-use mtb shorts

what to bring on bike that morning
fresh lunch
office keys
wallet, cash, cell phone
the usual cycling mumbo jumbo, lights, camera, trunk w cycling supplies, etc

if it's a Friday, what to bring home on bike
underwear (aka cycling shorts) & shirt from ride in (everything else should keep 'till Monday when I come back w/ the car)

Skipjacks 06-12-19 12:53 PM

Is this your 40 mile round trip?

If so you might want to add ibuprofen to the list :D

Good luck with this, buddy! :thumb:

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

acidfast7 06-12-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20975153)
been a long (9 yrs) since I've done a long round tripper to a work office. 11 yrs since I've done it w/o a shower. so I made a list :foo: also, got up at 5am today & thought to myself, if I were cycling in, I'd be leaving now ...:twitchy:

stock at work w/ car the day before:
food?
snacks?
vitamins & regular supplements I take daily, like lemons
bike lock

for wash up w/o shower
diluted shampoo
washcloth
hair care stuff
deodorant
2 hand towels

for the work day
underwear
socks
shoes
pants & accessory like belt or suspenders
shirt & undershirt

for the ride home
fresh headsweat
fresh cycling shorts
fresh shirt
re-use cycling socks
re-use mtb shorts

what to bring on bike that morning
fresh lunch
office keys
wallet, cash, cell phone
the usual cycling mumbo jumbo, lights, camera, trunk w cycling supplies, etc

if it's a Friday, what to bring home on bike
underwear (aka cycling shorts) & shirt from ride in (everything else should keep 'till Monday when I come back w/ the car)

Seriously. Just ride in and clean up at work. Don't overthink it.

I wouldn't accept a job that didn't have a shower on site. Sorry, that's a deal breaker showing they're not serious about bikes.

acidfast7 06-12-19 12:59 PM

Also, drop half of that ****. A camera, really?

rumrunn6 06-12-19 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by skipjacks (Post 20975331)
is this your 40 mile round trip?

44 :d

RoadKill 06-12-19 02:38 PM

You don't need all new cycling gear for the ride home. I hang up shorts and shirt in my cube to dry through the day and re-wear for ride home, never stinky because it started out clean and dry in the morning.
I change socks when I get to work, and since all I wear are athletic socks I wear the workday pair for my commute home. I might feel gross putting the morning ride socks back on.

pdlamb 06-12-19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RoadKill (Post 20975528)
You don't need all new cycling gear for the ride home. I hang up shorts and shirt in my cube to dry through the day and re-wear for ride home, never stinky because it started out clean and dry in the morning.
I change socks when I get to work, and since all I wear are athletic socks I wear the workday pair for my commute home. I might feel gross putting the morning ride socks back on.

Same here (although I hang my socks on my computer to dry all day). OP might want fresh clothes after 1.5 hours of riding in, though.

Skipjacks 06-12-19 03:02 PM

Bah....you're just going to go home and presumably shower right away.

You're going to get sweaty and gross on the way home.

Why not just put the morning clothes back on?

I mean this is a personal decision. But I'd just rewear the same clothes....like I am right now. Same biking outfit as this morning. Granted I rode 5 miles this morning, not 22.

Steely Dan 06-12-19 03:12 PM

^ even back when i rode 15 miles each way, everyday, i always just wore the same clothes home that i rode in with.

as said earlier, hang 'em up and let 'em air out and they're good to go for the afternoon return trip.

the rest of the list also seems unnecessarily cumbersome to me, but i tend toward minimalism.

i throw office clothes, wallet, phone, and keys in my pannier, get on the bike, and go.

Darth Lefty 06-12-19 03:32 PM

Korina 06-12-19 04:31 PM

@Darth_Lefty :roflmao2:

jade408 06-12-19 05:38 PM

My skin flips out with prolonged exposure to sweat, so I keep a few backup supplies at work - face wash, and a mini face routine to use add needed with face wash, eye cream, serum, moisturizer. And a reusable makeup pad to use in lieu of a washcloth. These things work well and dry super fast. I was using some travel sized stuff, but now I have gotten solid versions of most of these products. The packaging is smaller, won't leak, and is easy to use.

I also have deodorant.

I'd re-wear the clothes from the AM, bring my planned outfit and backup undergarments. I'd get a quick drying fleece thing in lieu of a typical washcloth. I don't know about your hair, but I'd consider dry shampoo. And I'd get a travel size of baby wash or castille soap. These are good gently/multi-purpose cleansers that work for hair and body easily. They also work for hand washing stuff. You could fit all of the supplies I mentioned in a quart sized pouch. And refill the travel sized packs with full sizes from home.

rumrunn6 06-13-19 08:26 AM

the desk drawer is stocked & breakfast #2 is in the the freezer

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f306c11f2.jpg

no motor? 06-13-19 01:47 PM

Minimalist or not, I think the one thing we'd all agree on is a backup pair of underwear at work is the minimum to keep there when commuting.

rumrunn6 06-13-19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 20975643)
Rambo clip

or will it be more like

here hold my ha 06-13-19 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by no motor? (Post 20977261)
Minimalist or not, I think the one thing we'd all agree on is a backup pair of underwear at work is the minimum to keep there when commuting.

Yeah, I didn't believe I'd ever have that problem. 'Til I did. On a day I had taken a skirt.

oldgeezerjeff 06-13-19 08:10 PM

I have an Osprey 32 backpack and I pack my office clothes, shoes, my lunch, wallet, keys, cell phone, pocket knife, macbook pro, and a 20 oz steel thermos with coffee and a bicycle lock. I also have an azz-saver rear fender, and a small bicycle pump in there, as well as extra sunglasses as I leave when it is barely light and end up riding to the east facing the sun. The backpack weighs about 12 lbs or so, loaded for the ride.
I re-wear the morning ride clothes for the ride home. I hang them off of the backpack in my office space and they are dry when I am ready to go home.

rumrunn6 06-14-19 06:41 AM

well that went downhill fast, in more ways than one. I was a victim of my own Karma. I had passed an apparent bike commuter doing the walk of shame I suspect w/o asking him if he needed anything. felt guilty but I kept going. so at the precipice of a 30 mph hill (29.9 more precisely) I broke a spoke. probably should have stopped immediately even tho I wasn't sure what the sound was. cuz whenever I hear a sound like that, it's a broken spoke ... but I had been anticipating this hill due to some history with it, so I proceeded ... despite having a spoke wrench, being 18 miles from home & 4 miles from the office, which is near a legit bike shop, I bailed with a taxi. no walk of shame for me. just a taxi ride of shame, I guess

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...745bb8bdff.jpg

:notamused:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...16222769ac.jpg

BobbyG 06-14-19 06:59 AM

What's the plan for the commute back?

rumrunn6 06-14-19 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 20978218)
What's the plan for the commute back?

bike shop down the street from my office is replaced the spoke & trued the wheel. did a little test ride in the parking lot, seems OK. will be testing it well, later!

no motor? 06-14-19 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by here hold my ha (Post 20977702)
Yeah, I didn't believe I'd ever have that problem. 'Til I did. On a day I had taken a skirt.

I learned that the hard way too one day when the chance of rain turned into a downpour and learned a couple of other lessons the same way. But I wasn't wearing a skirt. :)

rumrunn6 06-14-19 07:32 PM

the ride home was robust. never rode home from the office on a weekday. it was always Sunday afternoons. the cagers are more robust on Friday nights after work. a truckload of city workers tried to roll some coal on me but their truck only managed to make noise. then I caught up to them at a light and made it painfully obvious that I was videotaping them & their plates. funny that I also saw a decent representation from the popo. was interesting riding past the spot where I broke down this morning. man that hill is killer to go back up it. stopped 1/2 way home for a pit stop & a snickers bar. having mirrors prevents me from making a left like this when a car is passing quickly

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c9912e1c7b.jpg

1st time doing this route w cleated pedals/shoes too. before leaving work I made another list just in case I wanted to do it again Monday

Wutz at office
rain stuff
towels
unused underwear
used once bike socks
unused long sleeve orange shirt
apple juice
bike lock
deodorant
diluted body wash
no shampoo
work shoes but no socks