Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Which bib shorts for ultimate comfort? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1201013)

Noctilux.95 05-11-20 07:29 AM

Which bib shorts for ultimate comfort?

I'm looking for the most comfortable bib shorts specially models that reduce pressure on sit bones.

noodle soup 05-11-20 08:05 AM

I love Castelli Free Aero Race bibs, but YMMV.

eric1971 05-11-20 08:56 AM

After trying many, Assos is by far my favorite.

Rides4Beer 05-11-20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21468091)

+1, I won't wear anything else now, they're great.

I've done 8+ hours in the saddle with zero issues, don't even use chamois cream.

Sy Reene 05-11-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21468287)
+1, I won't wear anything else now, they're great.

I've done 8+ hours in the saddle with zero issues, don't even use chamois cream.

+2.. though I understand the Castelli Endurance 2 bibs uses the same chamois and may sometimes be found for more reasonable prices.

Rides4Beer 05-11-20 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21468299)
+2.. though I understand the Castelli Endurance 2 bibs uses the same chamois and may sometimes be found for more reasonable prices.

Good point, it's the Progetto x2 pad you want. My winter tights have the same pad. I also like the wide leg grippers, I have big legs, so narrow grippers are uncomfortable.

noodle soup 05-11-20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21468299)

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21468330)
Good point, it's the Progetto x2 pad you want. My winter tights have the same pad. I also like the wide leg grippers, I have big legs, so narrow grippers are uncomfortable.

The pad is the same, but the materials are not. The the front of the thighs on Endurance 2 bibs wears out far faster than on Free Aero Race bibs. I have both, and the Endurance bibs just don't last anywhere near as long.

Sy Reene 05-11-20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21468341)
The pad is the same, but the materials are not. The the front of the thighs on Endurance 2 bibs wears out far faster than on Free Aero Race bibs. I have both, and the Endurance bibs just don't last anywhere near as long.

Good to know; saves me the headache of wasted money or returns.

FWIW, another chamois/bib that I have had success with are the Sugoi RS Pro bibs.

bruce19 05-11-20 10:13 AM

It's a a very personal thing. In the past 40 yrs I've tried many of the options but Assos works for me.

woodcraft 05-11-20 10:19 AM

So that would be ones with a nice thick pad, except that puts pressure on the soft tissue, so a thinner, firm pad.

They should fit tightly to prevent bunching and friction, but that is constricting so they should be loose for breathing and comfort.

The straps should fit closely so the crotch stays in place, but the straps should fit loose so they don't cut into the shoulders.

They should have a nice big pad for sitting up on the cruiser, but have a small one that doesn't get in the way when hammering in the drops.

I wouldn't listen to these guys, because they ride a lot and their sit bone areas toughened up long ago so it's hardly a factor for them.;)

noodle soup 05-11-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21468374)
Good to know; saves me the headache of wasted money or returns.

Yeah, it's worth the extra $20-30 for the Free Aero Race bibs.

noodle soup 05-11-20 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21468404)

I wouldn't listen to these guys, because they ride a lot and their sit bone areas toughened up long ago so it's hardly a factor for them.;)

:roflmao2:

Ogsarg 05-11-20 10:54 AM

Pactimo 12hr Summit Stratos is my favorite so far but I have only had about 5 different bib shorts. These are expensive but they have big sales at least a couple of times a year when you can get them 35-50% off.
I also have some other less expensive Pactimo bibs I like. One interesting thing I found was that on my old bike with Sell Anatomic X2 saddle, the cheaper bibs were more comfortable. On my new bike with stock Specialized saddle, the Stratos are way better.

https://www.pactimo.com/collections/...ib-shorts-mens

guadzilla 05-11-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 (Post 21468032)
I'm looking for the most comfortable bib shorts specially models that reduce pressure on sit bones.

Assos --> especially their upper end (forget the model names)
La Passione --> these are half the price of the upper end of Assos and just as good, although only come in black

The higher end Castellis are supposed to be comparable but i havent tried those - most of my Castellis are the mid-range ones i use for my weekday / indoor rides (90' or less).

tomato coupe 05-11-20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21468091)

Originally Posted by eric1971 (Post 21468232)
After trying many, Assos is by far my favorite.

I've got 3 pairs of the Free Aero Race bibs, and 4 pairs of Assos. I like them all, but would give the edge to the Assos for comfort, mainly because of the straps.

Don23 05-11-20 01:51 PM

I just received some Campagnolo Vanadio bibs...hoping they are comfortable. My first pair. Bought them from BOB Shop in the Germany at 6PM their time Wednesday and they arrived here Monday. Quicker than State side vendors.

datlas 05-11-20 01:54 PM

This is SO PERSONAL. Like asking what is most comfortable saddle.

noodle soup 05-11-20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21468876)
This is SO PERSONAL. Like asking what is most comfortable saddle.

saddle shape is far more personal, but I understand what you are saying.

datlas 05-11-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21468917)
saddle shape is far more personal, but I understand what you are saying.

I will concede the point.

BTW my body does like Assos but not everyone does well with them.

WhyFi 05-11-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by guadzilla (Post 21468568)
La Passione --> these are half the price of the upper end of Assos and just as good, although only come in black.

How do you like these? Any experience with their jerseys, too? I love the look of some of their stuff, but I've also heard that they wear out relatively quickly.

Sy Reene 05-11-20 04:05 PM

While I understand that everybody's ass is different, it might be interesting to see if there's any more universal opinion as relates to hating/disliking any particular brands (might be more illustrative)?

GlennR 05-11-20 04:14 PM

Bibs are a VERY personal decision.

I wear Segoi RS Pro bibs

https://us-store.sugoi.com/products/...-pro-bib-short

WhyFi 05-11-20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21469179)
While I understand that everybody's ass is different, it might be interesting to see if there's any more universal opinion as relates to hating/disliking any particular brands (might be more illustrative)?

I hate dense and/or thick chamois. I seem to get along fine, otherwise.

fried bake 05-11-20 05:48 PM

Endura FS 260 sl ii are my favorites because the customization options give me exactly what I want, plus the bib straps don’t go over the nipple. Just got the Pearl Izumi interval and I have to say that they have upped their game—love the laser cut straps and the material is sooo soft. Pad is a bit thinner than the Endura and I haven’t done a full day in them as yet though.

Oso Polar 05-11-20 10:33 PM

Assos T.cento_s7 for me. Very comfortable overall. Their "kuKuPenthouse" makes a huge difference for comfort, so much that I'll probably never buy anymore any bibs without a similar "pouch". That being said, excessive amount of seat bone pressure IMHO is mostly an issue of bike fit and saddle choice, bibs may help to certain degree but they will not solve the fundamental problem.