Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "...his hat, his little bike shorts..." (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1203676)

thumpism 06-05-20 05:54 AM

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Excerpt from a comment by Gayle King on CBS This Morning during a report on a cyclist who tried to take from flyers from a kid and mom on a DC area MUP. You can Google the clip before I can find it (aired mere moments ago). Gayle was saying that the helmeted and Lycra-ed cyclist could probably be identified by his clothing by someone seeing the clip. The guy also evidently rammed the cameraperson with his bike while making his getaway. Fun times, no?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZiV3FlW...g&name=360x360

livedarklions 06-05-20 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 21516241)
Excerpt from a comment by Gayle King on CBS This Morning during a report on a cyclist who tried to take from flyers from a kid and mom on a DC area MUP. You can Google the clip before I can find it (aired mere moments ago). Gayle was saying that the helmeted and Lycra-ed cyclist could probably be identified by his clothing by someone seeing the clip. The guy also evidently rammed the cameraperson with his bike while making his getaway. Fun times, no?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZiV3FlW...g&name=360x360

Doesn't look like an off-duty cop at all, amirite?

Litespud 06-05-20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21516338)

from the video it looks like his bike has Campagnolo shifters - so, a discerning thug 😀

livedarklions 06-05-20 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 21516341)
from the video it looks like his bike has Campagnolo shifters - so, a discerning thug 😀

Seriously, how big of a scumbag is he? That's a little girl he assaulted.

I'd hope anyone on BF who recognizes him will come forward.

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:12 AM

If you watch the video, linked to in a thread in Road, you can see he has noticeable moobs.

livedarklions 06-05-20 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21516346)
If you watch the video, linked to in a thread in Road, you can see he has noticeable moobs.

Too many donuts.

livedarklions 06-05-20 07:19 AM

Video is linked here:

towleroad.com/2020/06/viral-video-shows-white-bicyclist-assaulting-young-women-over-black-lives-matter-fliers-watch/

Watch him as he boldly grabs the arm of an 11 year old girl and wrests the clearly dangerous pieces of paper from her hands.

This guy needs jail.

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21516338)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cb721c4b1.jpeg

trailangel 06-05-20 07:35 AM

Someone will recognize him. Scumbag.
But I gotta tell you... he's got some nice Hooters.....:lol:

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21516356)
Watch him as he boldly grabs the arm of an 11 year old girl and wrests the clearly dangerous pieces of paper from her hands.

Paper can cut you bad. And it covers rock.

taco2ewsday 06-05-20 07:36 AM

How bothered are you by a flyer that you stop your ride to engage and harass a little girl, now I want to know what was on that piece of paper

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 21516381)
But I gotta tell you... he's got some nice Hooters.....:lol:

As I note above. First thing I noticed about him when I saw the video. NTTAWWT. :D

livedarklions 06-05-20 07:39 AM

Blurry picture of bike

Anyone able to identify what he's riding from this?

skidder 06-05-20 07:42 AM

Not sticking up for the perp, and I'm not familiar with the area (I'm on the west coast), but does the area get a lot of flyers put up on post/fences/walls/etc? Things like that can make an area look really trashy really quick, and cops just give up trying to enforce any ordinances on posting signs. I've got a utility pole outside my house that gets all kinds of signs posted - lost cats/dogs, cars for sale, garage sales, band appearances, real estate sales (weeks-old signs) - it gets annoying.

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21516392)
Blurry picture of bike

Anyone able to identify what he's riding from this?

Almost looks like cursive on the downtube. Rodriguez ti? You know how ti bike riders are. :D

nomadmax 06-05-20 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21516356)
Video is linked here:

towleroad.com/2020/06/viral-video-shows-white-bicyclist-assaulting-young-women-over-black-lives-matter-fliers-watch/

This guy needs jail.

I'm with you, he needs to be in jail for sure. Moreover, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to hook him up on a civil rights violation. They weren't doing anything to him, just exercising their right to have an opinion and speak out about it. With any luck, he'll be caught, tried, convicted, jailed and manhandled while he's in there.

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 21516398)
Not sticking up for the perp, and I'm not familiar with the area (I'm on the west coast), but does the area get a lot of flyers put up on post/fences/walls/etc? Things like that can make an area look really trashy really quick, and cops just give up trying to enforce any ordinances on posting signs. I've got a utility pole outside my house that gets all kinds of signs posted - lost cats/dogs, cars for sale, garage sales, band appearances, real estate sales (weeks-old signs) - it gets annoying.

Here's the trouble with that; he's not empowered to enforce any regulations or statutes and even if he was (and on duty), all he could do is write summons to the parents. He would have no right to forcibly take something from a juvenile's hands.

Some things can't be explained away or justified.

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:47 AM

Then what, exactly, are you trying to convey?

livedarklions 06-05-20 07:50 AM

Yeah, sure, so annoyed with littering I want to assault a little girl.

Seriously????!!!!!

Litespud 06-05-20 07:50 AM

Bethesda’s an upmarket suburb of Washington DC (i.e., no-one’s concerned about their property values taking a dip) and the incident occurred on a bike path. How annoying would fliers have to get to justify terrifying and assaulting a little girl?

indyfabz 06-05-20 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21516406)
Moreover, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to hook him up on a civil rights violation.

Uncorrect. Actions like this by private citizens cannot form the basis of a civll rights claim. You need government action (e.g., police action) or something like the actions of an employer that amounts to discrimination.

thumpism 06-05-20 08:08 AM

I had to leave for an appointment since the original post, but here's some more. Did not realize a thread already exists in Road, but my immediate impression from what I saw was Gayle (not my favorite talking head) King's comments about the guy. Hat? Little shorts?

https://www.mymcmedia.org/police-sea...t-in-bethesda/

CBS did mention that the girl was posting about the current protests, and I can see how littering might be a concern for users of the path but the guy seems to be a bully at least and, since a bicycle is legally a vehicle, he could probably also be charged with hit and run for striking the cameraperson. Not a lawyer, but there seem to be lots of interesting legal aspects.

That is all.

nomadmax 06-05-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21516420)
Uncorrect. Actions like this by private citizens cannot form the basis of a civll rights claim. You need government action (e.g., police action) or something like the actions of an employer that amounts to discrimination.

You would know more about it than me, so I defer to the knowledge you got in law school. That said, the crux of what I'm saying is that's unacceptable conduct and it can't be justified. Maybe it could be construed as hate crime?

While not a lawyer, I did spend a career that had me in the courtroom frequently and we both know when a case gets special attention a defendant can be charged with darn near anything. What they plead to or are convicted of is another matter. I might be a little sensitive to this kind of subject because part of my job I retired from was to ensure that citizens had the right speak out and protest peacefully; even if their focus was on my profession. I could never burn a US flag except in accordance with old flag destruction policy. However, I have protected the rights of people to do so because I believe our freedoms supersede the emblem of those freedoms.

indyfabz 06-05-20 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21516463)
Maybe it could be construed as hate crime?

Extremely doubtful:

https://www.oag.state.va.us/programs...ves/no-hate-va

The federal hate crimes law is similar.

Still, it was wrong and, IMO, criminal (assault).. Just wanted to clarify what you need to establish a civil rights violation.

MattTheHat 06-05-20 08:15 AM

Yeah, I'm sure he was worried about a cluttered utility pole. (/sarcasm)

dedhed 06-05-20 08:22 AM

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...lts-child.html