Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   The logic to your collection? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1063619)

mnmkpedals 05-15-16 10:02 AM

The logic to your collection?

I know there was a thread about this a while back, but no matter the search terms I put in, I can't locate it. But inspired by the recent "Decade" project thread, I got to thinking about the logic to collections out there. So many bikes to explore out there, I suspect having "confines" to what you buy, keep, etc... is a good thing.

So, I am wondering two things:

1. Do you have a "logic" to you collection and if so, what? By type (i.e., touring bikes); by country (italian); brand (raleigh); etc...?

2. In thinking about my own collection, I just realized I am sort of on track for an collection built around bikes from many of the main producing counties that are from each of the "main" steel tubing manufacturers (not each tube type obviously). And if I go with this as a logic, what am I missing?

I have:
Reynolds 531--Peugeot
Tange 2--Centurion
Ishiwata 22-- Batavus
Columbus SL--Guerciotti

I also have a USA made raleigh with their own labeled tubing, so maybe that would count too! But basically, I've got french, japanese, dutch, italian bike with 4 of the big tubings.

Not that I'll necessarily do it, but I am guessing if I kept this as a theme I'd need to add True Temper and Vitus (steel) and American, maybe swiss, german makers? Oh yeah, and how can I forget a british maker?!

Other lower profile interesting tubing makers to think about?

Thanks for thoughts on both questions!

3speedslow 05-15-16 10:19 AM

It's not so much logic but lust which drives my collecting.

English bikes in particular will get snapped up.

bradtx 05-15-16 10:27 AM

mnmkpedals, I suppose that my "logic" is brand related. At this time all of my roadies, including the touring bikes, are Cannondales. Cannondale was the first frame I couldn't flex the big chain ring into the FD and their general geometry, at least through the CAAD3, fit me very well. One would think that I would also prefer a Cannondale mountain bike, but Treks have always been better fitting.

Brad

Pawlus 05-15-16 10:32 AM

I have no collection so no logic :P but seriously I'm thinking about getting only Japanese bikes but only one in each type (touring, road...). I already have Koga Miyata touring bike and Kuwahara CX. Don't know if giving up Italian bikes is a good idea tho.

@mnmkpedals
Dedacciai and Miyata have their own steel tubesets. My track bike is build with deda.

iab 05-15-16 10:35 AM

I like eyetalian stuff from before 1960.

nesteel 05-15-16 10:36 AM

There is not logic to my hoard. Merely desire.

Columbus (various tubings): Bianchi, Merkcx, Trek, Daccordi, Torpado, Atala (rumored).
Reynolds: Ironhorse
Tange: Ironman, Skykomish MTB
Ishawata: RB-1

Lazyass 05-15-16 10:37 AM

My logic is now cost related. I've had Serotta's, Rossin EL/OS, Rossin SL, Koga-Miyata Full Pro, ect. Some high end bikes, I've spend some serious money in the past. I've also bough a couple that needed major restoration which I won't do again. My two favorite rides cost me a total of $250 and were in almost NOS condition. I now look for hardly ridden mid range bikes in mint condition that I can buy for super cheap and don't have to pour money and time into and can ride into the ground. Which ends up being Japanese bikes. Exage and Light Action works just as well as Super record and Dura Ace. I've had them all. Tange 2 is as nice of a ride as SLX and I'm just as fast on my 24 pound bike as my 16 pound modern bike. I was riding my mint condition Centurion LeMans this morning and smiling knowing I bought it for a hundred bucks and could ride it across the country if I wanted to. So I may not have 200 forum members drooling over them when I post a picture, so what. I didn't blow a thousand bucks and have to order parts online from 10 different websites, either.

nlerner 05-15-16 10:37 AM

My logic is many. I need to find a way to not so many.

Dave Cutter 05-15-16 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18769353)
It's not so much logic but lust which drives my collecting.

I've realized that the bikes I've accumulated they've been the bikes I missed owning in the years I didn't own a bicycle. I own and ride modern bikes. But I've been able to buy ride and enjoy most of the bikes I might had bought over the years. I had owned a Schwinn Varsity in 1964.... but then bought a car, joined the Army.... and so forth.

I also keep at least one or two steel bikes with downtube shifters. C&V feels real to me. But many bikes have come and gone since a began this hobby.

Cougrrcj 05-15-16 10:47 AM

My road bikes are all Japanese. Other than my late '74-built Fuji that I bought new, I prefer the mid 80s, which I consider to be the height of craftsmanship, quality and value. Lugged steel is a must. Butted CrMo, double/triple and even quad butting.

non-fixie 05-15-16 10:47 AM

Anything interesting in my size. Or mrs non-fixie's size. If it's really interesting: any size. Or cheap. Or has nice parts. Or has an interesting brand. Or a really obscure one.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some things.

Lascauxcaveman 05-15-16 10:50 AM

Mine is dictated by what opportunities are presented at an attractive price.

I'm getting better at saying 'no' to stuff I don't need anymore, but I notice that at any given time a big chunk of my storeroom is filled not with my collection but rather flip stuff I haven't flipped yet. Better get to makin' hay...

Pawlus 05-15-16 11:05 AM

I just realized collecting Japanese bikes not only makes you not own Italian bikes but it also makes you not own campagnolo equipped bike. And that's just...

rccardr 05-15-16 11:05 AM

Each one speaks to my soul.

They don't all speak the same language or at the same volume, but each one converses with my inner happy place.

jefnvk 05-15-16 11:22 AM

Having a necessity, and then simply whatever I find to fit that necessity.

First need was a road bike. Enter the Peugeot after a few months of looking and testing. Next, I found I couldn't put anything but narrow slicks on the Peugeot, I wanted something other than the MTB to ride the dirt rail trails, and the Le Tour came home as a surprise find at the thrift shop. After the girlfriend had a city cruiser and we went on some slow leisurely rides, I realized my bikes weren't any good at a strolling pace, so the Collegiate was found at a bargain price at another thrift shop one day (not even looking at that point). Then, I decided to go on a bike tour, wanted a touring bike as the Peugeot didn't have eyelets and the Schwinn is too heavy to box up, and the Miyata 610 popped up on CL.

I didn't set out to buy any particular model, they were just what I happened across while fulfilling a need.

thinktubes 05-15-16 12:51 PM

Red, Italian, Columbus.

D1andonlyDman 05-15-16 01:03 PM

I do, as I generally have different bikes tailored to different purposes, although the last couple of great bargain opportunities I saw have created some redundancy in my collection - I may actually have some rationale to sell a couple of bikes as a result. But unfortunately, the bike that is now my most redundant - my Trek 510 - is also one I am emotionally attached to, because it's the bike I rode across the U.S. on back when I was in college during the summer of 1980. I just put it in top notch riding condition to sell it, with new cables and bar tape and freshly matched tires, but I can't bring myself to actually list the thing.

echo victor 05-15-16 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 18769418)
Mine is dictated by what opportunities are presented at an attractive price. ...

+1

I've recently started to give some thought to what I actually want to hang on to for the long term. I've got a few more projects than I can keep up with at the moment. Actually, I'll probably be posting a few for sale here pretty soon.

randyjawa 05-15-16 01:20 PM

I used to try to use some form of logic to control my collection. What I learned was doing so was a waste of my time. Why? Because you never know what will show up next. At one time, I was interested in vintage Canadian bicycles. Then an Italian one showed up and I wanted to collect Italian bikes. Then French and so on.

These days, the next bike might become the newest keeper, regardless of where it was made, what it was made for or how fancy (high end) it is. Today, I have three Italian, one Canadian, one from the USA, and one from France. A couple I ride, the rest are wall art.

Drillium Dude 05-15-16 02:27 PM

Italian + Campagnolo = Awesome
American + Campagnolo = Awesome

*** Oh - and they gotta fit me, too :) ***

DD

styggno1 05-15-16 02:38 PM

In the 80ies - what I could afford.
In the 90ies - what I could find locally (pre internet).
In the 00ies - everything I saw (internet).
Now - what I find beautiful and that has a good (his)story behind it.

I guess top of the line of competition/racing frames and equipment is my thing. Mostly Italian but there are exceptions (Belgian and French).

A small part of it (and sorry for the bad pic).

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps1ca4cce4.jpg

elboGreaze 05-15-16 02:39 PM

Really no logic, usually I will see something on here that I like, then look for one to buy/ refurb . Good , cheap fun . My modest collection of 12 is mostly paid for by doing a few flips, here and there .

Cougrrcj 05-15-16 02:43 PM

To further clarify my earlier statement - I have not ever been or ever will be a Cat-anything racer, so I don't really want or need a bike with 'twitchy' race geometry. I prefer a bit more relaxed 'sport' geometry for the better ride. I also rarely ride in a gear higher that 85-GI because I'm perfectly OK with riding at less than 20mph - I cruise at 18-19 in still air on flat terrain -- which I consider not bad for an almost 60-yr old. Besides, as a borderline 'Clyde', I'd probably exceed the weight limitations of many lighter frames or wheels. I'm a middle-income, middle aged 'old' guy whose wife does not ride and doesn't understand the whole 'bike thing', much less spending a lot of $$$ on anything bike-related. In fact, the most I have ever spent on any complete bike was the ~$200 for the Fuji when it was brand new. Anything Italian or Campy-equipped would bust my budget. Besides, C&V SunTour drivetrains shift better than C&V Campy anyway.

So I want a 'better'-grade bike -- Not top-of-the-line - because that's who I am. I drive no-nonsense cars, have a no-nonsense truck, live in a modest house... Joe Boring Workingman.

I worked in a bike shop back in the mid-'70s. Trying to figure our the 'logic' for component threading was downright maddening. French threading, Italian threading, English threading... So I simplified things and stuck to the Japanese (English threading) bikes, and left the 'exotics' to others. That meant clincher tires, and not anything equipped with tubulars. Friction shifting.

The above are my justifications for 'mid-grade' Japanese bikes.

iab 05-15-16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 18769833)
Italian + Campagnolo = Awesome
American + Campagnolo = Awesome

DD

That is actually why I like the bikes prior to 1960. 1963-1983 bikes are pretty much always built with Campagnolo (except the french and they of course are, you know, French ;)). Not a lot a variety for an eyetalin bike.

Chrome Molly 05-15-16 03:11 PM

My collection is illogical

Stuff I ride a lot and things I hardly ride.

I do like having the right bike for the job, and that has shaped the collection to some extent.