Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Beach Cruisers (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=328)
-   -   Which frame? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1186082)

OldCruiser 10-19-19 02:26 PM

Which frame?

I’m thinking of putting together a cruiser using a frame I have on hand . I have three MTB frames I could use , plus an old Huffy cantilever frame in black .
one , I painted black years ago , can’t remember the brand . Frame is fairly light and from what I remember is a little on the small size depending on handlebar setup , but rideable . .
next , is a blue Schwinn Mirada. It too is a little small but rideable .
last , is a white Fuji with blue lettering. It’s a tad large . I can ride it with the seat post all the way down .

Build will have a 2 speed kickback rear hub with coaster Brake in black . Or single speed with coaster brake . Tires will be Maxxis Hookworms 26x2.5” or Kenda street slicks 26X1.95”.
Handlebars , mini apes or cruiser bars in either silver aluminum or black . I'd also given some though to some kind of low bar , something like a board racer .
While typing all this , I got to thinking of using the black MTB frame , with single speed coaster brake , creme Kenda tires with low bars like a board racer .
Probably be something I could only ride for a short distance, but I think it’d look cool .
Don’t you love rainy days :)
edit : maybe this should have been placed in the Alt Bike Culture section above ?

rhenning 10-19-19 05:36 PM

Use the Huffy it is the only one that is a cruiser. The others are just custom road/mountain/hybred bikes. Roger

JehD 10-19-19 10:15 PM

I'll second the Huffy.

rhenning 10-20-19 11:06 AM

Found a picture of my Huffy. Good Vibrations frame form the 1980s. Rear wheel is a Bendix yellow band 2 speed and front is based on sealed bearing BMX hub. Both use Weiman rims. Nice riding dependable bike. Roger

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fab3f4d64.jpeg

OldCruiser 10-20-19 04:26 PM

Nice looking Huffy . Mine is a Good Vibrations too .
I looked my Huffy today , didn’t get it down off the hooks yet . It looks like the front stem and seat post are small , similar to what’s on my old Heavy duty .
The only thing I could change out would be the wheelset .
I’ve got a single speed alloy set that came off one of my Electra C1’s that I can put on it . The Huffy came with steel wheels . Talk about heavy .
Spent my afternoon getting in my ride for the day , adding a rear rack to my new Rockhopper, and swapping grips and saddles on my Roll .
didn’t have time to start anything yet.
my two speed wheelsets won’t be here until next Thursday and my stem adapter and adjustable stem didn’t make it today . Sometimes Amazon promises delivery next day , but doesn’t delivery .

OldCruiser 10-21-19 03:16 PM

Most of my parts I’ve ordered have been held up or lost by Amazon and reordered . They are really struggling IMO with their own delivery service . . Wheels aren’t due here until Thursday.

OldCruiser 10-22-19 04:01 PM

Wheels came today , two days early . That’s was good . But when I opened them I was initially disappointed. For some reason I was expecting the rear hubs to be Sturmey Archer two speed hubs . They are KT two speed hubs . :( .
I mounted one on one of my Electra C1’s and tried it out . It works like it’s supposed to and the low gear seems pretty low enough , spinning out around 6-7mph . The shifting will take a little time learning how to shift without braking .
I would have preferred S A hubs , but since my cruisers aren’t for everyday or long trips , I think these should be ok . They’re probably as good as the single speed hub Electra uses .
But , if I’d known they were going to be K T , I would have opted for single speed Shimano hubs .
Pics when I get one or more sorted .

FiftySix 10-22-19 05:25 PM

Ride those KTs until they break. That's what's on my red Schwinn. They seem to work just fine, but the rear hub is a single speed with coaster brake. Simple is as simple does. :)

OldCruiser 10-22-19 05:44 PM

I read that KT makes Shimano SS coaster hubs . Also read the KT two speed was troublesome when they first came out , but they had gotten better in the last couple of years . Hope so .