Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best setback seatposts? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166475)

Road Fan 02-15-19 01:18 PM

Best setback seatposts?

I need a setback seatpost 27.2 mm, 27 cm or so. I've seen two main choices lately: the V-O two-bolt Gran Cru with Long Setback for $55, and the Nitto S-84 seatpost for about $160 right now at Rivendell. The Nitto setback is claimed 40 mm and the V-O is claimed 30 mm. From both companies "normal" setback posts are 15 mm to 20 mm, so these both give me more setback, which I need for Brooks or my Rivet.

The Nitto obviously costs nearly 3x the price of the V-O. How big is the quality difference between them, if here is one? i have a few of the Nitto and they have been good parts, but is anything lost if I buy the Velo-Orange instead?

TimothyH 02-15-19 01:34 PM

Nitto S84 - $99
https://alexscycle.com/products/nitt...ged-seatpost-1

I've ordered from Alex's many times. They are legitimate with five day shipping to Atlanta from Osaka.

Track Supermarket has it for $100.
https://www.tracksupermarket.com/sad...st-27-2mm.html

-Tim-

Gconan 02-15-19 05:01 PM

Thompson setback

trailangel 02-15-19 08:24 PM

I have used the S-83
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=18232&category=167

S-84 is steel.

FrenchFit 02-16-19 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20796358)
I need a setback seatpost 27.2 mm, 27 cm or so. I've seen two main choices lately: the V-O two-bolt Gran Cru with Long Setback for $55, and the Nitto S-84 seatpost for about $160 right now at Rivendell. The Nitto setback is claimed 40 mm and the V-O is claimed 30 mm. From both companies "normal" setback posts are 15 mm to 20 mm, so these both give me more setback, which I need for Brooks or my Rivet.

The Nitto obviously costs nearly 3x the price of the V-O. How big is the quality difference between them, if here is one? i have a few of the Nitto and they have been good parts, but is anything lost if I buy the Velo-Orange instead?

I owned the VO, hated the bolt system and its slippage, ended up dumping it on eBay,

indyfabz 02-16-19 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gconan (Post 20796668)

+1. The two-bolt adjustments allows to fine tune the tilt like nothing else I have ridden.

Road Fan 02-16-19 08:05 AM

The Thompson and the S83 have nowhere near the setback of the S84. They are not on the table.

Road Fan 02-16-19 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20797245)
+1. The two-bolt adjustments allows to fine tune the tilt like nothing else I have ridden.

Two-bolt is a need and the Thomson is a great design, but again it does not have adequate setback. At the same time, I can adjust an original Campagnolo Record with as much precision and stability. That Campy also has inadequate setback.

Road Fan 02-16-19 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by FrenchFit (Post 20797094)
I owned the VO, hated the bolt system and its slippage, ended up dumping it on eBay,

Thanks a lot, this is what I want to understand!

Can you elaborate what slipped and how, and confirm it was a two-bolt design?

Road Fan 02-16-19 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20796383)
Nitto S84 - $99
https://alexscycle.com/products/nitt...ged-seatpost-1

I've ordered from Alex's many times. They are legitimate with five day shipping to Atlanta from Osaka.

Track Supermarket has it for $100.
https://www.tracksupermarket.com/sad...st-27-2mm.html

-Tim-

Thanks, that’s very useful!

trailangel 02-16-19 10:12 AM

With 20-25mm of setback, a Brooks saddle pushed all the way back, is usually adequate. Why the need for this extra setback. Frame too small?

FrenchFit 02-16-19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20797261)
Thanks a lot, this is what I want to understand!
Can you elaborate what slipped and how, and confirm it was a two-bolt design?

Two bolts, but side by side instead of front and rear. Unless your torqued the crap out of it one big pot hole would cause the saddle to tilt. Additionally, I found minor adjustments to be frustrating. I figured it would not be a keeper for the long run so I sold it before it got chewed up.

Strangely, I found a thudbuster was the perfect solution of rme. Lots of setback, micro adjustment, and suspension to boot. Big and heavy, of course. On another bike, the bent Thomson.

These problems had to do with using a Brooks B17. As I use Ergon pro carbon saddles on my fast rider bikes the set backs available are fine as is.

Nessism 02-16-19 10:50 AM

That S-84 is a nifty piece. I hadn't seen one before finding this thread. Can't help but wonder though why the need for that much setback? If you truly need that much setback to achieve a good knee over pedal position the seat tube angle on your frame is too steep.

fietsbob 02-16-19 11:21 AM

Best?

# 1 V O is an importing seller not a manufacturer ..

Q: what do you understand about the strengths of different alloys of aluminum. .. ?

generally, How about this one.. ?

A Nitto chromoly seat post has significant setback https://www.benscycle.com/assets/pro...ge/870-164.jpg

Road Fan 02-16-19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20797417)
With 20-25mm of setback, a Brooks saddle pushed all the way back, is usually adequate. Why the need for this extra setback. Frame too small?

It's not a topic I want to address in this thread.

Road Fan 02-16-19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20797516)
# 1 V O is an importing seller not a manufacturer ..

Q: what do you understand about the strengths of different alloys of aluminum. .. ?

A Nitto chromoly seat post has significant setback https://www.benscycle.com/assets/pro...ge/870-164.jpg

Fiets, which question are you directing to whom? what is your point regarding materials science, and regarding V-O? I'm pretty good at materials.

MikeyMK 02-16-19 03:12 PM

I made this one...

https://i.imgur.com/H9Ak6ns.jpg

veganbikes 02-16-19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20797667)
It's not a topic I want to address in this thread.

But alas when looking for a lot of set back that is usually a good sign of a poor fitting bike. Bikes that fit are great, bikes that need a lot of parts to try to make it sort of fit aren't so great. I get it though sometimes there is a cool old frame you see and it is fairly unique or sufficiently vintage that finding another in your size is hard but you might just let it go and find the bike that fits.

Getting that out of the way, Nitto makes some top quality parts, a lot of time cold forged for extra strength and durability and they really take a lot of time and pride in their work. The only thing one could say about Nitto is there stuff can be weighty but their goal is not weight but quality and durability.

fietsbob 02-16-19 04:23 PM

Basically to BF level generalizations; aluminum various alloys can be like steel ; ..high strength use less , low cost use more. to be equivalent .. in practical, use,..

TimothyH 02-16-19 05:12 PM

Maybe the guy has a physical issue where he needs setback.

Maybe he is experimenting and wants to learn for himself.

Maybe he doesn't feel like getting lectured by a bunch of people who never met him but knows exactly what he needs. :rolleyes:

Maybe he wants what he wants and that's all there is to it.

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20797284)
Thanks, that’s very useful!

My pleasure. I hope it works for you.

-Tim-

Sy Reene 02-16-19 05:17 PM

Is this an enquiry about non CF seatposts? Fwiw, FSA offers a K-force seatpost with 32mm of setback..

79pmooney 02-16-19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20797252)

Two-bolt is a need and the Thomson is a great design, but again it does not have adequate setback. At the same time, I can adjust an original Campagnolo Record with as much precision and stability. That Campy also has inadequate setback.

But ... Thompson clamp parts can be purchased from Thompson so a framebuilder with skills could make you a custom post of any setback using Thompson hardware. I have two TiCycles posts with aluminum heads and titanium posts, each with roughly 60 mm setback. Wonderful posts. (My preferred bike, no holds barred, has a tight rear end, 74 or steeper seattube (to accommodate the close rear wheel with decent size tires and fender. I want a setup that puts the clamp midway on my favorite seats so lots of options are available in the future. So I could go either curved seattube or big setback post. Maybe one day I'll spring for that curved tube.)

So, you have the option of ordering a TiCycles post of any setback you want with that first-class hardware. And being completely custom, everything, post length, material and diameter, finish, etc, are on the table. 2011 prices were ~$160 for mine. Their prices have gone up but not radically.

Edit: I hadn't read veganbike's post above yet when I wrote this, but I submit it now as an example that his generality isn't always true.

Ben

Road Fan 02-16-19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 20797998)
Is this an enquiry about non CF seatposts? Fwiw, FSA offers a K-force seatpost with 32mm of setback..

Thanks, Sy Reene, i’ll check it out!

Road Fan 02-16-19 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 20798033)
But ... Thompson clamp parts can be purchased from Thompson so a framebuilder with skills could make you a custom post of any setback using Thompson hardware. I have two TiCycles posts with aluminum heads and titanium posts, each with roughly 60 mm setback. Wonderful posts. (My preferred bike, no holds barred, has a tight rear end, 74 or steeper seattube (to accommodate the close rear wheel with decent size tires and fender. I want a setup that puts the clamp midway on my favorite seats so lots of options are available in the future. So I could go either curved seattube or big setback post. Maybe one day I'll spring for that curved tube.)

So, you have the option of ordering a TiCycles post of any setback you want with that first-class hardware. And being completely custom, everything, post length, material and diameter, finish, etc, are on the table. 2011 prices were ~$160 for mine. Their prices have gone up but not radically.

Edit: I hadn't read veganbike's post above yet when I wrote this, but I submit it now as an example that his generality isn't always true.

Ben

Thanks for the idea! I do like the Thomson hardware. So carbon and custom are both options. And thanks to you and Timothy for the support. I believe defending my fit to people who do not know me, my riding, my body geometry, my bike, or it’s geometry is not an attractive proposition.

Road Fan 02-16-19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20797921)
Basically to BF level generalizations; aluminum various alloys can be like steel ; ..high strength use less , low cost use more. to be equivalent .. in practical, use,..

Still not sure what you’re trying to say. The S83 is all Al, alloyed in some composition. The S84 has an Al head joined to a steel post. I see no problem with the S84 construction, nor that of the S83.