Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Match Sprint tactic question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1165125)

queerpunk 01-30-19 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 20770575)
Additionally, I think the "all" in "all y'all" is really just an intensifier as y'all is obviously already plural. I love that we're talking grammar here. By the way THANK YOU to everyone here for generally having excellent grammar! So many pet peeves violated daily and obliviously on social media...

heh... see, I just read this as a dig at the FB TrackSprinting group.
but maybe that's because I'm an enduro.

Dalai 01-30-19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 20769861)
​​​​​​
If you're talking to the collective, then "all y'all" would be correct as that is the plural of "y'all". But I might be wrong because I'm just a hoser from the Great White North.

Thanks for the clarification. Always thought y'all was the plural...

Sorry for the huge thread drift!

jlafitte 01-30-19 04:19 PM

Native southern speaker here. "Y'all" is the plural of you; in the north I believe the equivalent is "youse" Either usage allows for an exception in the group being addressed, but "all y'all" doesn't allow for an exception.

"Y'all need to put on y'all's helmets." - at least one person could already be wearing their helmet
"All y'all need to put on y'all's helmets." - nobody is wearing their helmet

Baby Puke 01-30-19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 20770916)
heh... see, I just read this as a dig at the FB TrackSprinting group.
but maybe that's because I'm an enduro.

Well, to be sure I bailed out of that a long time ago, waaaaaaay too many unfunny penis jokes flying around. But this was just a reaction to social media-speak in general. Current top face-palmer: lose=loose. I see this almost every day and it really makes me want to punch something.

taras0000 01-30-19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 20771766)
Well, to be sure I bailed out of that a long time ago, waaaaaaay too many unfunny penis jokes flying around. But this was just a reaction to social media-speak in general. Current top face-palmer: lose=loose. I see this almost every day and it really makes me want to punch something.

Aww, give them a break. Cuz if "womb" is pronouced "woom", and "tomb" is pronounced "toom", then it stands that "bomb" should be pronounced BOOM!

And Lose=Loose is just new 'Merican. Y'all'd've known this if you didn't spend so much time at the keirin-jo.

Baby Puke 01-30-19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 20771895)
Y'all'd've

Oh snap, that's the nuclear option!

tobukog 01-31-19 08:23 PM

Your English is very good for an American. Where did you learn it?

carleton 02-01-19 09:12 AM

hahaha