Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Best fork for the money for a 250lb rider (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=908854)

Stun 08-22-13 08:53 AM

Best fork for the money for a 250lb rider

Mostly daily commuting on bumpy roads. Suspension or rigid OK.

Your thoughts?

(Think cheap but won't endanger the life of the rider) :)

sstorkel 08-22-13 09:08 AM

You don't need a suspension fork for riding on bumpy roads. Buy yourself a rigid fork that has the same axle to crown length as your current fork. Without knowing more about your bike (ex: wheel and tire size, current fork brand and model) it's impossible to say anything more specific...

jsigone 08-22-13 10:02 AM

what bike?

nfmisso 08-22-13 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sstorkel (Post 15987609)
You don't need a suspension fork for riding on bumpy roads. Buy yourself a rigid fork that has the same axle to crown length as your current fork. Without knowing more about your bike (ex: wheel and tire size, current fork brand and model) it's impossible to say anything more specific...

ditto

c_m_shooter 08-22-13 05:50 PM

Something from Surly. They probably have one to match your bike whatever it is.

skidder 08-22-13 07:02 PM

For a 26" wheeled bicycle (such as an MTB), try a Surly Instigator or a Voodoo Cycles Zombie fork. I've got the Instigator on an old MTB and it works great.

For 700c wheels try a Surly Long Haul Trucker fork or Cross Check fork, (any touring fork should work).

Also check Nashbar for their house-brand forks. They seem to get good reviews.

Arvadaman 08-22-13 10:17 PM

+1 Surly

10 Wheels 08-22-13 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stun (Post 15987537)
Mostly daily commuting on bumpy roads. Suspension or rigid OK.

Your thoughts?

(Think cheap but won't endanger the life of the rider) :)

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=336334

adrien 08-23-13 06:34 AM

Look at a Kona Project 2 as well...

jsigone 08-23-13 07:31 AM

White bros carbon rigid fork works well but not really cheap

FrenchFit 08-23-13 08:40 AM

Disagree, went to a rigid CB fork on a converted MTB, big slicks, commuter..no love, lots of road chatter. Went back to a vintage susp fork and it's a much, much nicer ride. Sold the CF fork on eBay, maybe one of you guys bought it!

For a cheaper all around susp fork, a new Rockshox Dart 3 is OK if you are fitting it to a MTB frame.

donalson 08-23-13 03:43 PM

what bike?... if you want to stay steel Salsa forks are nice for the money (Karate monkey finally went to the salsa fork from what I understand)

soma forks are also supposed to be nice and avl in plenty of styles and lengths... I also have read good things about the the on-one CF fork

I wouldn't bother with a suspension fork of any sort if you are on the street... get a little larger tire and find it's sweet spot for PSI...

Stun 08-24-13 10:27 PM

Not for me. For a friend. He has an entry level Raleigh MTB--26" wheels.

I am 140#. I have a lot of experience on a lot of different types of forks but I know that what works for me at 140 won't work for him at 7 stone heavier than me! :)

Stun 08-24-13 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 15989782)
For a 26" wheeled bicycle (such as an MTB), try a Surly Instigator or a Voodoo Cycles Zombie fork. I've got the Instigator on an old MTB and it works great.

Thanks skidder for this. This is perfect. I was thinking maybe the instigator and the Zombie looks good as well (and is a little cheaper which my friend will like). Good suggestions!

Stun 08-24-13 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by donalson (Post 15992738)
I wouldn't bother with a suspension fork of any sort if you are on the street... get a little larger tire and find it's sweet spot for PSI...

Yes...this was my advice to him as well...good point donalson.

Stun 08-24-13 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 15991042)
White bros carbon rigid fork works well but not really cheap

Yes. I love this one too (but it is out of my friend's budget!) Too bad for him...:(

donalson 08-24-13 11:07 PM

what is wrong with the fork he already has? 1 1/8" threadless I assume?

the only thing I can think is that he had an accident that folded his old fork or he has a very low end suspension fork... either way find out the axle to crown height and just about any steel fork made by a reputable company mentioned here will outlive the bike.