Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Recommendations welcome for new wheel set (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197127)

marek12pol 04-01-20 05:30 AM

Recommendations welcome for new wheel set

hey everyone, I'm at beginner/intermediate rider at best. I have a 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 (2013) bike with fulcrum racing 5 lg wheel set. the wheels were damaged and i'm looking to buy a new wheel set and spend say $500 tops. any recommendations? 700cc. thoughts on the fulcrum racing 7s? any insight is appreciated. i'm a bigger guy. 210lb 6'3". thanks!

WhyFi 04-01-20 06:04 AM

Damaged how? Accident? Pothole? General wear and tear under a big dude?

marek12pol 04-01-20 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21394776)
Damaged how? Accident? Pothole? General wear and tear under a big dude?

an accident, fundamentally. got rear wheel clipped by a car and then I feel and damaged front wheel slightly. the front real was 'never the same' and I blew a spoke climbing a hill while leaning on it a bit. and here we are.

guadzilla 04-01-20 06:09 AM

Handmade wheels from Psimet2001

NumbersGuy 04-01-20 06:18 AM

I'd recommend Shimano Ultegra wheels. They're extremely durable, tubeless ready if you want to go that route and not particularly heavy. They can be found for $350 or less and should give you many years of trouble free use. I'm similar size to you and have had them on my 2014 Boardman for over 20k miles of use without any trouble.

Sy Reene 04-01-20 08:25 AM

Couple options.. same rim from either
https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collec...wide#techspecs
or, from here, going with some form of 28/32 spoke count on the "Ventus" rims (24/28 if you want a bit lighter weight, probably would still suffice):
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/pwb-...t-package.html

DrIsotope 04-01-20 08:36 AM

The PWB Signature Alloy Road, seconded. I run them 20/24 in rim brake and 24/24 on my disc bike, and I'm heavier than the OP.

robertorolfo 04-01-20 10:06 AM

Almost thought this thread was a fake.

Answer: Zondas, obviously...

GnipGnop 04-01-20 10:10 AM

Mid range campy, mid range mavic, mid range shimano

rdeeui 04-01-20 10:48 AM

I currently ride a shimano RS-11. They were cheap and decent, seems to be fairly durable as I'm around 200 - 210 lbs.

I was looking at these when upgrading wheels, but I ended up spending a little more for more aero. I don't have experience on them myself: Vision Trimax 45 carbon clincher. $441 at merlincycles.

Russ Roth 04-01-20 11:02 AM

An LBS should be able to build you a decent set of wheels, Ultegra and Mavic, Velocity, or their preferred rim with butted spokes. Basic, reasonably light and durable. Shouldn't have to worry for a long time with them.

RiceAWay 04-01-20 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by marek12pol (Post 21394747)
hey everyone, I'm at beginner/intermediate rider at best. I have a 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 (2013) bike with fulcrum racing 5 lg wheel set. the wheels were damaged and i'm looking to buy a new wheel set and spend say $500 tops. any recommendations? 700cc. thoughts on the fulcrum racing 7s? any insight is appreciated. i'm a bigger guy. 210lb 6'3". thanks!

You realize you're going to get all sorts of stupid suggestions from people that weigh 150 lbs in their cycling gear don't you? Anyone that mentions Kyseriums shoot them.

Campy Scirrocos (also made by Fulkrum) or the aluminum Fulkrum line are fine.

You can pick these up cheap from ProBikeKit for cheap and they also have these 40 mm deep Chinese aluminum wheels (https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../12056926.html) that I bought a set of and am really impressed. These wheels are a tad lighter than my 55 mm deep carbon wheels so I will be converting everything over eventually.

It would be nice if they sold strictly clincher wheels since tubeless wheels are very difficult to mount tires on when you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere in the rain (been there, done that, sealant is nasty on your hands which then ends up on the bar tape) Tubeless tires CAN also get flats though that is less often. So you still have to carry a saddle pack with tubes, CO2 and levers. So what it the point of tubeless?

Carbon aero wheels are strong but a definite pain in the butt. They have VERY uneven spoke tension and most of the Chinese cheap wheels have those flat plate "aero" spokes. These do NOT read the spoke tension properly so they are all under-tensioned by a very large amount and those wheels are dangerous since they can take off in some other direction to where you're pointing. They do make cheap Chinese carbon wheels with round straight pull or regular aero spokes though and these are acceptable. You must use carbon fiber brake pads and Campy makes the very best carbon brake pads.

tomato coupe 04-01-20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RiceAWay (Post 21395326)

Campy Scirocco. Fulcrum.

... those wheels are dangerous since they can take off in some other direction to where you're pointing.
I have a dog that does that ...

tomato coupe 04-01-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 21395179)
Almost thought this thread was a fake.

Answer: Zondas, obviously...

I was in the local 4x4 shop the other day, looking for new wheels for my Jeep. They recommended Zondas.

robertorolfo 04-01-20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by RiceAWay (Post 21395326)
You realize you're going to get all sorts of stupid suggestions from people that weigh 150 lbs in their cycling gear don't you? Anyone that mentions Kyseriums shoot them.

You can pick these up cheap from ProBikeKit for cheap and they also have these 40 mm deep Chinese aluminum wheels (https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../12056926.html) that I bought a set of and am really impressed. These wheels are a tad lighter than my 55 mm deep carbon wheels so I will be converting everything over eventually.

It would be nice if they sold strictly clincher wheels since tubeless wheels are very difficult to mount tires on when you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere in the rain (been there, done that, sealant is nasty on your hands which then ends up on the bar tape) Tubeless tires CAN also get flats though that is less often. So you still have to carry a saddle pack with tubes, CO2 and levers. So what it the point of tubeless?

I'm digging your initial suggestion and disdain for tubeless, but I can't get onboard with the wheels you linked to. You really expect those hubs to last? And what's with these low-quality Asian producers throwing an Italian sounding name on products? Do people really fall for that?

WhyFi 04-01-20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 21395685)
I'm digging your initial suggestion and disdain for tubeless, but I can't get onboard with the wheels you linked to. You really expect those hubs to last? And what's with these low-quality Asian producers throwing an Italian sounding name on products? Do people really fall for that?

Your schtick is already tired. No need to harass people for recommending something other than Campy - give it a rest.

robertorolfo 04-01-20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21395732)
Your schtick is already tired. No need to harass people for recommending something other than Campy - give it a rest.

"Harass"? You call that harassment? Seriously?

For something similar to the amount of those no-name wheels he could have several options that, while perhaps not as aero, will probably serve him much better.

WhyFi 04-01-20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 21395748)

For something similar to the amount of those no-name wheels he could have several options that, while perhaps not as aero, will probably serve him much better.

And you don't know a thing about the company that you're bashing. Wonderful.

Bah Humbug 04-01-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 21395748)

You claim to not intend to have threads blow up, but you keep making inflammatory posts.

robertorolfo 04-01-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21395751)
And you don't know a thing about the company that you're bashing. Wonderful.

OK, and what does that have to do with some accusation of harassment?

But yeah, they are a Chinese company that picked a random Italian name to try and lend credibility to their products. I don't need to know them to call them out on it.

robertorolfo 04-01-20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21395774)
You claim to not intend to have threads blow up, but you keep making inflammatory posts.

What is inflammatory? People are offering their opinions on wheel options, and I offered mine. I didn't say anything about anybody personally, I merely commented on a product that someone suggested. Isn't that the whole point?

Edit: To add to that, what's the problem with calling out cheap products as being possibly, wait for it, cheap? The guy started the thread by saying he had Fulcrum wheels that served him well for years. Recommending another Campagnolo/Fulcrum product is logical, as is the assumption that he might not be pleased with something of lesser quality.

Bah Humbug 04-01-20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 21395782)
What is inflammatory? People are offering their opinions on wheel options, and I offered mine. I didn't say anything about anybody personally, I merely commented on a product that someone suggested. Isn't that the whole point?

Edit: To add to that, what's the problem with calling out cheap products as being possibly, wait for it, cheap? The guy started the thread by saying he had Fulcrum wheels that served him well for years. Recommending another Campagnolo/Fulcrum product is logical, as is the assumption that he might not be pleased with something of lesser quality.

You have an extremely aggressive and dismissive tone. It was one thing when it was your thread, but the OP doesn't deserve this one going off the rails.

Also, if you want to talk about names, you might go digging up what languages all of Campy's names came from. Hint - it's not all Italian. How dare they? Who do they think they're fooling?

guadzilla 04-01-20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 21395776)
But yeah, they are a Chinese company that picked a random Italian name to try and lend credibility to their products. I don't need to know them to call them out on it.

You know that many Italian companies put an Italian name on a Chinese-build bike to lend credibility to their product, right? You gonna call them out on that?

Back to the topic: OP, big guy. Seriously, get hand-built wheels with extra spokes.

illdrag0n 04-02-20 01:54 AM

DT Swiss P1800. Strong wheels, good hubs (DT 370 3 pawls). Poney up for the P1600 if it's in your budget (DT 350 ratchet hubs)

Greatestalltime 04-02-20 03:42 AM

At that price I second the Ultegra. They’re indestructible and no to low maintenance. Great wheels.

I bet the Scirroco? and other Campy wheels in that range are nice too. I’ve never tried them though.