Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   First ride back after... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170752)

roybatythighs 04-16-19 05:33 PM

First ride back after...

Did a tentative 15 mile ride on Sunday, 7 months after breaking my left leg and acquiring a whole load of Titanium - have lost a lot of strength in my legs but had no issues
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1bb3478922.jpg

Mtl01 04-16-19 05:56 PM

Good stuff. That's a great run by the the sounds (and looks) of your injury.

Were you injured in a bike accident?

roybatythighs 04-16-19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mtl01 (Post 20887842)
Good stuff. That's a great run by the the sounds (and looks) of your injury.

Were you injured in a bike accident?

Indeed!

Mtl01 04-16-19 08:06 PM

Kudos to you for getting back on the horse. A lot of people would have "retired" from biking after an injury like that.

roybatythighs 04-17-19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mtl01 (Post 20887998)
Kudos to you for getting back on the horse. A lot of people would have "retired" from biking after an injury like that.

I seem to have a major sports related injury every 20 years (ruptured Achilles tendon playing quash in 1998)so I should be okay now till I am 80

FiftySix 04-17-19 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by roybatythighs (Post 20887813)
Did a tentative 15 mile ride on Sunday, 7 months after breaking my left leg and acquiring a whole load of Titanium - have lost a lot of strength in my legs but had no issues

Looks like a weekend do-it-youselfer with a Milwaukee drill driver got ya. :eek:

Hondo Gravel 04-17-19 06:20 PM

:eek: how bad did that hurt?

ironnerd 04-17-19 07:48 PM

Why can't doctors ever drill straight holes and get the fasteners evenly spaced? For what they charge, I expect better results.

Glad to see you are back on two wheels.

roybatythighs 04-18-19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 20889403)
:eek: how bad did that hurt?

The initial injury and having to physically twist my smashed and dislocated ankle off the pedal by hand... that was something, After that it was surprisingly not painful, the painful part was when I was able to walk again in November, that was excruciating for weeks

horatio 04-18-19 10:08 AM

Glad you're back in the saddle. I'm sure you'll get your legs conditioned in no time.

Hondo Gravel 04-19-19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by roybatythighs (Post 20889861)
The initial injury and having to physically twist my smashed and dislocated ankle off the pedal by hand... that was something, After that it was surprisingly not painful, the painful part was when I was able to walk again in November, that was excruciating for weeks

I was out of commission from late August to January with a foot operation. Not an injury that required pins and screws, they look like the same stuff I used building a shed. Glad to see you are getting back on the bike. The bouncing back part of it is the hardest after a setback.

roybatythighs 04-24-19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 20892578)
I was out of commission from late August to January with a foot operation. Not an injury that required pins and screws, they look like the same stuff I used building a shed. Glad to see you are getting back on the bike. The bouncing back part of it is the hardest after a setback.

Yes, I still shudder thinking about the accident.

Baldy1953 04-24-19 07:31 PM

Glad to see you back in the saddle. Broke my ankle in 3 places and I have some extra pieces also. ( 8 screws and a piece of titanium). 6 weeks was all I had to stay off the bike. This winter was worse with a pinched nerve. Did not ride for 4 months and legs suck right now. I have been working on getting the cadence back to the mid 80's average I had last fall, but the speed is sooo slow.
Hope it goes well for you soon.

roybatythighs 04-26-19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baldy1953 (Post 20899587)
Glad to see you back in the saddle. Broke my ankle in 3 places and I have some extra pieces also. ( 8 screws and a piece of titanium). 6 weeks was all I had to stay off the bike. This winter was worse with a pinched nerve. Did not ride for 4 months and legs suck right now. I have been working on getting the cadence back to the mid 80's average I had last fall, but the speed is sooo slow.
Hope it goes well for you soon.

Good Luck !

Did 20 miles on Wednesday with no pain so looking good, slower than last year possibly due to lost muscle mass and (possibly) using flat pedals but cannot complain!

h2oxtc 04-27-19 07:11 AM

@roybatythighs Reading your post was a kick in the rear for me ... no excuse not to ride today. Best wishes in your recovery.

roybatythighs 04-29-19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by h2oxtc (Post 20903139)
@roybatythighs Reading your post was a kick in the rear for me ... no excuse not to ride today. Best wishes in your recovery.

My Job is done...:bike2: