Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Cross Check with LHT fork (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=306585)

pasopia 06-06-07 07:01 PM

Cross Check with LHT fork
 
Has anyone here put an LHT fork on a crosscheck frame? I noticed surly sells the LHT fork by itself, but do they sell their frames without forks? I would be doing this so I could have front rack mounts on a cross check frame.

grolby 06-06-07 09:03 PM

It can be done. I don't think it's an especially great idea, both because of the fact that you really can't get the frames without forks, and because if you're touring, you're better off with the LHT anyway - it's far, far superior as a touring bike. If you want the Cross Check for more of a daily rider that you can also take on tours, it's not worth the trouble of a different fork. You can rig up a front rack to work without braze-ons without much trouble.

NoReg 06-06-07 11:53 PM

The Surly LHT fork is also 10mm shorter.

I assume the CC frame you are buying has the 1.125" head tube? They make 2 sizes in the CC necks, but only one in the LHT.

pasopia 06-07-07 01:45 AM


Originally Posted by grolby
It can be done. I don't think it's an especially great idea, both because of the fact that you really can't get the frames without forks, and because if you're touring, you're better off with the LHT anyway - it's far, far superior as a touring bike. If you want the Cross Check for more of a daily rider that you can also take on tours, it's not worth the trouble of a different fork. You can rig up a front rack to work without braze-ons without much trouble.


Yeah, you are probably right. I would be all about the LHT if it had horizontal dropouts. I noticed that tubus has hardware for some of their front racks to be mounted to a fork without both eyelets, so I'll probably just do that.

Mchaz 06-07-07 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by pasopia
I would be all about the LHT if it had horizontal dropouts.

Are you planning on touring with a single speed? There is always the eno hub that allows proper chain tensioning with vertical dropouts.

pasopia 06-08-07 07:24 PM


Originally Posted by Mchaz
Are you planning on touring with a single speed? There is always the eno hub that allows proper chain tensioning with vertical dropouts.

No, but I have a nexus 8 internal gear hub that I like to tour with. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and build an LHT with normal gears though.

whitneegoode 01-08-19 11:50 AM

I did it!
 

Originally Posted by pasopia (Post 4592765)
Has anyone here put an LHT fork on a crosscheck frame? I noticed surly sells the LHT fork by itself, but do they sell their frames without forks? I would be doing this so I could have front rack mounts on a cross check frame.

I just put a lht fork on a cross check and it worked great! No issues whatsoever. The only thing extra that I needed was another spacer. You could cut it down on top instead, but I chose not to. It rides like a dream!

3speed 01-08-19 04:00 PM

Iíd tour on a Cross Check with a Trucker fork rather than a full Trucker for sure. Iíd say it just comes down to how heavy your load and what sort of handling you want. If you haul a semi-truck load and want the semi-truck ďlong haul truckerĒ experience touring, Trucker is the way to go. If you want something that handles a little better and arenít planning on hauling a ton of weight, Cross Check gets my vote. Cross Check still isnít a sports car sort of bike by any means.

79pmooney 01-08-19 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by whitneegoode (Post 20738031)
I just put a lht fork on a cross check and it worked great! No issues whatsoever. The only thing extra that I needed was another spacer. You could cut it down on top instead, but I chose not to. It rides like a dream!

Good for you! I was thinking, "do it" and see. Now I'd measure up both forks and the Cross Check frame and see what the change would do to the ride, but i have experienced mismatches that were a blast to ride, even if not at all what the manufacturers intended.

Ben

robow 01-08-19 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by grolby (Post 4593693)
if you're touring, you're better off with the LHT anyway - it's far, far superior as a touring bike. .

I have a couple very experienced friends with whom I tour that would argue against this point. They love their Cross Checks for touring and I couldn't begin to count the miles that they've toured on them.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...52a9c61b32.jpg

seeker333 01-08-19 06:27 PM


Originally Posted by whitneegoode (Post 20738031)
I just put...

See post #3 regarding axle-to-crown distance (ATCD on lht=390, xc=400). Shortening ATCD 10mm has the effect of increasing head tube angle and seat tube angle ~1 degree.

12-year-old thread warning

3speed 01-08-19 08:16 PM

Ah, crap, he got me! I didnít notice the OP date. Well, at least the resurrection was to answer the question for future searchers.

djb 01-08-19 08:31 PM

I highly doubt that you would be allowed on the rink with a bicycle fork, especially a touring bike fork, and I think you'd get a major, maybe even a game suspension.

fietsbob 01-09-19 12:13 PM

Tubus makes a good clamp on mount for the mid fork so you can use the fork you have .. https://ortliebusa.com/product/lm-1-fork-adapter/

https://ortliebusa.com/wp-content/up...6/03/72100.jpg

3speed 01-09-19 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by djb (Post 20738798)
I highly doubt that you would be allowed on the rink with a bicycle fork, especially a touring bike fork, and I think you'd get a major, maybe even a game suspension.

lol It took me a second to look back at the thread title and get this one.

djb 01-09-19 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by 3speed (Post 20739692)

lol It took me a second to look back at the thread title and get this one.

I know that I suffer from that affliction in that I think that I am funny, but I am glad that someone got that.

grolby 02-10-19 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by robow (Post 20738613)
I have a couple very experienced friends with whom I tour that would argue against this point. They love their Cross Checks for touring and I couldn't begin to count the miles that they've toured on them.

Holy smokes! Let's just say I was young and brash and full of opinions back then. I didn't even have a Cross-Check yet, then! And now I don't have one again. Or an LHT. ;)

3speed 02-11-19 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by grolby (Post 20788390)
Holy smokes! Let's just say I was young and brash and full of opinions back then. I didn't even have a Cross-Check yet, then! And now I don't have one again. Or an LHT. ;)

Luckily, bold, generalizing statements on BF have a 10yr statute of limitations. Otherwise it'd be a tar and feather for you! : P

djb 02-11-19 01:02 PM


Originally Posted by 3speed (Post 20789616)
Luckily, bold, generalizing statements on BF have a 10yr statute of limitations. Otherwise it'd be a tar and feather for you! : P

Oh I think even if he had been under the 10 years still, by being honest he would have been absolved.

3speed 02-11-19 03:50 PM

Oh, Fine, I guess. One should be rewarded for seeing the error of their ways.

robow 02-12-19 03:37 PM

Enlightenment and honesty have no home here. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

djb 02-12-19 03:50 PM

alas, that would be $274.64 cad.
probably enough to buy a nice fork
and some nice tires probably too.

Tourist in MSN 02-12-19 04:33 PM


Originally Posted by 3speed (Post 20738769)
Ah, crap, he got me! I didnít notice the OP date. Well, at least the resurrection was to answer the question for future searchers.

I think that this was posted before the Cross Check fork had mid fork rack mounts. I am not sure when they were added to the Cross Check.

3speed 02-12-19 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by robow (Post 20791738)
Enlightenment and honesty have no home here. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

:lol:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.