Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tool marks on a new hub axle (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1274860)

sysrq 06-14-23 07:49 AM

Tool marks on a new hub axle

Recently bought a Bitex BX103R hub due to endless troubles with previous ones.
Now discovered that it has a single tool mark/pit somewhere around the main hub bearings or closer to the centre as far as I can remember. Will have to take a picture sometime. Looks like something as a result of mishandling.
Since it looks fairly shallow and not overly sharp then I'm not sure if there should be any concern about stress risers/concentration?
Got too many other things going on so sending it back for inspection seems like a too much trouble at the moment.

Koyote 06-14-23 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22922880)
Recently bought a Bitex BX103R hub due to endless troubles with previous ones.
Now discovered that it has a single tool mark/pit somewhere around the main hub bearings or closer to the centre as far as I can remember. Will have to take a picture sometime. Looks like something as a result of mishandling.
Since it looks fairly shallow and not overly sharp then I'm not sure if there should be any concern about stress risers/concentration?
Got too many other things going on so sending it back for inspection seems like a too much trouble at the moment.

This is a statement. Do you have a question for the forum? If so, you should not expect useful responses without photo(s).

smd4 06-14-23 01:36 PM

it has a single tool mark/pit somewhere around the main hub bearings or closer to the centre as far as I can remember.

I can't even fathom what this means. Tool mark on the axle? Hub body? We definitely need a picture or two.

sysrq 06-14-23 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22923265)
I can't even fathom what this means. Tool mark on the axle? Hub body? We definitely need a picture or two.

It's a shallow mark on aluminium or stainless steel (non-magnetic) axle without any sharp angles as far as I can remember. Somewhere it was advertised as steel axle though.

sysrq 06-14-23 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22922899)
This is a statement. Do you have a question for the forum? If so, you should not expect useful responses without photo(s).

I think I will ride it and will take a picture next time during the hub overhaul after it will become loud enough to relube.

Koyote 06-14-23 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22923351)
I think I will ride it and will take a picture next time during the hub overhaul after it will become loud enough to relube.

1) Bike hubs don't generally get noisy; the best way to determine when they need service is to rotate it by hand when the wheel is off the bike; if it feels rough, it's time for service.
2) Your hubs have cartridge bearings, which will likely go many thousands of miles (or even tens of thousands of miles) without needing service.
3) Most people don't lube cartridge bearings. Just replace them.
And...
4) Your hub is probably just fine.

soyabean 06-14-23 04:10 PM

Why hasn't the OP already completed the repair, so they can be cycling instead ranting on this thread that will not provide any help at all?

Do they require the support of strangers here to agree, so they can print it all out on hardcopy and provide it as "evidence" to the supplier of the new part?

FBOATSB 06-14-23 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22923265)

This is what I suspect.

SurferRosa 06-14-23 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22922899)
you should not expect useful responses without photo(s).

It really should be a requirement for similar new threads.

sysrq 06-15-23 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22923418)
It really should be a requirement for similar new threads.

Discovered there is some knocking in the bearings. Probably due to threaded endcaps being finger tight only (without using allen keys) so decided to take it apart again.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e62aa2b535.jpg

smd4 06-15-23 06:53 AM

somewhere around the main hub bearings or closer to the centre

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22923349)
It's a shallow mark on aluminium or stainless steel (non-magnetic) axle

Not sure what exactly I'm looking at. Almost looks like a chip in some paint.

FBOATSB 06-15-23 07:24 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9871d4c7ed.jpg

FBOATSB 06-15-23 07:29 AM

https://bitexhubs.co.uk/product/bx10...im-brake-rear/

smd4 06-15-23 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 22924093)

I've looked at photos of the hub (nice looking, BTW), but what's in the OP's photo does look like anything I see on the hub image. Is that even considered the axle nowadays? That would be the part I'd call the spacers and locknut on a conventional hub.

FBOATSB 06-15-23 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22924101)
I've looked at photos of the hub (nice looking, BTW), but what's in the OP's photo does look like anything I see on the hub image. Is that even considered the axle nowadays? That would be the part I'd call the spacers and locknut on a conventional hub.

From what I read that hub has several interchangeable "axles" available so you can easily swap the wheel onto different OLD bikes? Someone that actually sells or services these things can explain. Looks like a paint chip to me.

sysrq 06-15-23 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 22924152)
From what I read that hub has several interchangeable "axles" available so you can easily swap the wheel onto different OLD bikes? Someone that actually sells or services these things can explain. Looks like a paint chip to me.

Couldn't zoom in closer with this camera.
Can't see any paint there. With paint chip there wouldn't be an uneven surface.

ThermionicScott 06-15-23 09:05 AM

Is there a term for someone who is a hypochondriac, but with bike parts?

Koyote 06-15-23 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22924202)
Is there a term for someone who is a hypochondriac, but with bike parts?

We have some of those on bf. They seem to spend more time examining their bikes than riding them.

smd4 06-15-23 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22924179)
Can't see any paint there. With paint chip there wouldn't be an uneven surface.

What I see in the single photo you posted looks more like a paint chip than just about anything I've seen. But like I said, I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm looking at--or maybe what you really want us to see. Maybe zoom out a little?