Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1053660)

Kindaslow 03-22-16 10:33 PM

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

How each sees the world....

Looking at a bike....

Bike Lovers.... Looks like a really fun bike...
Bike Snob...... That bike has the wrong pedals, totally the wrong vintage, hideous...

Looking at a rider commuting in matching jersey and bibs...

Bike Lover... That is a little odd, but sure nice to see another commuter
Bike Snob.... That team would never ride that brand of bike, just ridiculous....

Looking at a bike that is heavily worn/used...

Bike Lover.... That bike must be truly loved, they ride the wheels off of it...
Bike Snob... What a peace of crud...

Your turn....

BluesDawg 03-22-16 11:44 PM

Imaginary distinctions.

JanMM 03-23-16 12:45 PM

What about Bike Livers vs Bike Slobs??

bargeon 03-23-16 01:36 PM

I see a lot more people worrying about snobs than I've met real life snobs. (yes, there are a few out there, so what)
Same thing with the musician crowd.

Building straw men (straw snobs?) seems to be a national pastime.

OldsCOOL 03-23-16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 18631070)
What about Bike Livers vs Bike Slobs??

Reminds me of a song, "Fifty Ways To Love Your Liver".

FullGas 03-23-16 02:35 PM

I love my bike and am a total snob regarding how it looks and functions.

your ride is seriously unimportant to me.

Bandera 03-23-16 06:19 PM

What hardware someone else uses and how they are costumed while operating it is of no interest whatever to experienced cyclists out doing what they do. This is the more or less mature BF sub-forum where setting a hook for divisive twaddle suitable for the 41 sinks to the bottom where it belongs. :(

-Bandera

StanSeven 03-23-16 06:44 PM

Go to a tri store. Everyone there both looking or buying and employees are bike snobs

qcpmsame 03-23-16 06:47 PM

Bicycle lover here, what other's ride is not my business. I freely admit to being very CDO about taking care of my bicycle, but that is my issue to manage. The fact that someone is riding something is a big plus, in my book. I have enough faults and short comings myself that I have absolutely no place or reason in judging anybody. No reason, or need to be a snob about me or my bicycle, either. Its the snobs that spend valuable time and energy judging me, or others, that are a pain in the ass. Those kinds I have no time or patience for.

Bill

trackhub 03-23-16 06:58 PM

What the heck, this looks like it could be fun!

A young dude is commuting to work on a vintage 3-speed.
-Bike lover: "Oh man, that is one fine old 3-speed."
-Bike snob: "I cannot believe anyone would still be riding one of those! This is 2016! Hello?!?"

A long time cyclist loves his fine, lugged steel frame bike.
-Bike lover: "You rock, that is an awesome bike!"
-Bike snob: "Foolish! Everyone has carbon fiber now!" (rattles off some obscure nonsense from his cycling computer)

Cyclist travels to Europe, finds a great deal on a swiss army bike. Has it shipped back to U.S.
Uses it as his daily rider:
-Bike Lover: "Oh man, that is so cool! Maybe a little on the heavy side, but cool!"
-Bike snob: Does not respond at all. He has never seen one of these, and does not know how to react.

Cyclist simply enjoys his commute a few days a week, and some evening and weekend rides.
-Bike Lover:" I wish I could ride as much as you"
-Bike Snob:" Ugh! You mean you are not training for the next big charity ride? That is absurd!"

All that aside, yes, they are out there. Now, maybe it's just me, but they seem to thrive during times of
Economic booms, then they sort of vanish.

One more thing: Bike snob can rattle off the names of current European racers, but has never heard of
such people as John Allen or Richard Ballantine. Then again, that could also be just me.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Joe Minton 03-23-16 07:39 PM

I live in an area saturated with arrogant, self-important people of limited life-experience, compassion and intelligence. Many of them have learned how to accumulate money, more than the rest of us. Their collective answer to any personal problem is to write a check. These are the folks that tend to buy expensive TDF-qualified road bikes and never mind the pain of riding them or climbing our pervasive local hills with flat-land gearing. These are the folks who, around here, run red lights (perhaps attempting a "Strada" best), never wave and get really pissed if you can pass them on a hill. I am not fond of these types, nor are the local sheriff deputies, neither are the 'normal' folk who are doing their best to integrate their (car) driving habits with us cyclists.

The most common legal bike problem, around here, is bicycle idiots running red lights and four-way stops; not slowing at all, not looking – not acting like a member of our community. Perhaps they do look (who wouldn't) but --- they appear (to cage drivers) to be flaunting their legal responsibilities, which they are.

Joe

JanMM 03-23-16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Minton (Post 18631991)
I live in an area saturated with arrogant, self-important people of limited life-experience, compassion and intelligence. Many of them have learned how to accumulate money, more than the rest of us. Their collective answer to any personal problem is to write a check. These are the folks that tend to buy expensive TDF-qualified road bikes and never mind the pain of riding them or climbing our pervasive local hills with flat-land gearing. These are the folks who, around here, run red lights (perhaps attempting a "Strada" best), never wave and get really pissed if you can pass them on a hill. I am not fond of these types, nor are the local sheriff deputies, neither are the 'normal' folk who are doing their best to integrate their (car) driving habits with us cyclists.

The most common legal bike problem, around here, is bicycle idiots running red lights and four-way stops; not slowing at all, not looking – not acting like a member of our community. Perhaps they do look (who wouldn't) but --- they appear (to cage drivers) to be flaunting their legal responsibilities, which they are.

Revenge:
Just today, my wife and I were crossing the busy main drag in Solvang CA; a considerate driver stopped to let us cross, holding up a dozen or so cars; we waved our thanks and hurried across. Then: a 'road" cyclist came whizzing along to the right of the stopped cars with no intention of even slowing let alone obeying the law. I pretended surprise (I wasn't) and put out my hand in defense. It happened to hit his handlebar; he went down on his right side and lost some skin. I asked him if he was okay, he said he was and I retorted, "that's too bad you arrogant basta*d."

Yeah, I have an attitude! But – bet he won’t do it again and then, perhaps, kill a three-year-old playing in the street.

Joe

If some of you are offended by what I have just stated, I offer that I have spent most of my lifetime dealing with really ignorant people guilty of being arrogant and stupid in public. I have little compassion for such selfish people. I would not make a very good Buddhist.

Joe

You assaulted a reckless cyclist causing injury???? because why? Because he's one of those who doesn't wave**********

Kindaslow 03-23-16 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by FullGas (Post 18631356)
I love my bike and am a total snob regarding how it looks and functions.

your ride is seriously unimportant to me.

See, this is fun. You serious folks are not so much fun.....:)

rydabent 03-23-16 08:38 PM

Bike snobs look down on me naturally since I ride bents. Further I ride in T-shirts, and rugby shorts since I dont need a high priced kit to protect me from my bike and trike.

Hers the big news ---------------I really dont care if bike snobs look down on me. I dont care if they dont like my bent or my trike since I am riding in total comfort. I am not training for anything. I just love bikes and cycling the way that works best for me. I cycle in comfort with a great view and safety.

Kindaslow 03-23-16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 18632114)
Bike snobs look down on me naturally since I ride bents. Further I ride in T-shirts, and rugby shorts since I dont need a high priced kit to protect me from my bike and trike.

Hers the big news ---------------I really dont care if bike snobs look down on me. I dont care if they dont like my bent or my trike since I am riding in total comfort. I am not training for anything. I just love bikes and cycling the way that works best for me. I cycle in comfort with a great view and safety.

Don't they have to look down, aren't you much lower???

Kit has confused me. I cannot get being a human billboard. However, I can understand a little, if you are a huge fan of a team or bike shop and have their stuff.

StanSeven 03-23-16 08:50 PM

Then: a 'road" cyclist came whizzing along to the right of the stopped cars with no intention of even slowing let alone obeying the law. I pretended surprise (I wasn't) and put out my hand in defense. It happened to hit his handlebar; he went down on his right side and lost some skin. I asked him if he was okay, he said he was and I retorted, "that's too bad you arrogant basta*d."

Yeah, I have an attitude! But – bet he won’t do it again and then, perhaps, kill a three-year-old playing in the street.

Joe

If some of you are offended by what I have just stated, I offer that I have spent most of my lifetime dealing with really ignorant people guilty of being arrogant and stupid in public. I have little compassion for such selfish people. I would not make a very good Buddhist.

Joe

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 18632021)
You assaulted a reckless cyclist causing injury???? because why? Because he's one of those who doesn't wave**********

I'm really disappointed that any of the regular posters here would do something like that first of all. And then to not apologize for getting carried away and causing an accident is inexcusable. An accident like that has the potential to cause serious harm like broken bones, paralysis or even death.

SalsaShark 03-23-16 09:18 PM

Riding bikes is fun.

OldTryGuy 03-24-16 04:59 AM

There can be an "accident" and then there is the "on purpose." If we are to believe what was posted by JM to be true, then I believe what we have here is an "on purpose" which could be considered an "assault." :notamused:

As far as snobbery being alive and well in the bicycling world, SO WHAT!!!

qcpmsame 03-24-16 06:21 AM

Knowingly knocking a rider off his bike, that is assault I believe. Sad that you choose to post here about this situation. Hint, if the cyclist chose to bring action against you, his lawyer now has an admission of guilt to use.

You made yourself the judge, jury and almost the executioner, congratulations on letting that attitude you are so proud of take over rational thought.

Rydabent, you make believe that everyone is after you, or looks down on you for riding a recumbent. If you would spend more time getting along with folks, and not sounding like a wounded, hurt animal, you might enjoy life much more. Exactly how many people have said something to you while you were riding? Be honest, please. Personally, I know, and ride with 'bent riders, the areas first recumbent rider is a good friend, and was in the same club for many years, no issues with him, that I am aware of. Grow up, cheer up and go ride some. Keep your self pity on the Recumbent Forum, oh wait, the guys there have gotten on you about this same thing, too.

Now you can retort with your usual "everyone is after me" reply, have fun.

I'll take my lumps for this double rant, it is going to be worth it.

intransit1217 03-24-16 06:33 AM

This reminds me. I need to put a post it on my bars. "Stop going off the front, a-hole!"

texaspandj 03-24-16 06:51 AM

Dance monkeys Dance.

FullGas 03-24-16 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 18632021)

the actions of yet another self-righteous, sociopathic type.

the fact that he boasts about it is both pathetic and disturbing.

Kindaslow 03-24-16 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18632621)
Dance monkeys Dance.

So sad that something meant to be silly and fun brought out the worst in people. I do like your humor though!

rydabent 03-24-16 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 18632577)
Knowingly knocking a rider off his bike, that is assault I believe. Sad that you choose to post here about this situation. Hint, if the cyclist chose to bring action against you, his lawyer now has an admission of guilt to use.

You made yourself the judge, jury and almost the executioner, congratulations on letting that attitude you are so proud of take over rational thought.

Rydabent, you make believe that everyone is after you, or looks down on you for riding a recumbent. If you would spend more time getting along with folks, and not sounding like a wounded, hurt animal, you might enjoy life much more. Exactly how many people have said something to you while you were riding? Be honest, please. Personally, I know, and ride with 'bent riders, the areas first recumbent rider is a good friend, and was in the same club for many years, no issues with him, that I am aware of. Grow up, cheer up and go ride some. Keep your self pity on the Recumbent Forum, oh wait, the guys there have gotten on you about this same thing, too.

Now you can retort with your usual "everyone is after me" reply, have fun.

I'll take my lumps for this double rant, it is going to be worth it.

Good job of trying to blame the person that dont buy into cycling snobbery. I do not feel put upon. The reason for that is there are only a few percent of cyclist that are snobs and buy into the whole obscenely high priced bikes and kits. The probably 90%+ of the rest of us just like to ride what ever and how ever we enjoy. We are not out to one up anyone.

Biker395 03-24-16 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 18632114)

Hey ... that's funny. And not caring what others think is the biggest perk of being over 50.

I live in an area saturated with arrogant, self-important people of limited life-experience, compassion and intelligence. Many of them have learned how to accumulate money, more than the rest of us.

If I've learned anything in life its that people are the same no matter where you go. We all want to be loved, respected, spend our lives doing something worthwhile, and at the end, leave the place better than when we found it. What is different about us are our circumstances, and those circumstances are what cause us to react differently to different things. And we're all at least a bit insecure and unhappy, and some wealthy and poor alike try to address it with whatever material things they can get their hands on.

I have an old version of the Boy Scout handbook lying around. And somewhere at the end in the section where it takes on difficult subjects like getting along with others and "self-gratification" (you should read it some time ... it's a hoot), there is a story of two boys leaving his home town to live in another.

On the outskirts of his new town, the first boy encounters a man and asks him what the people are like in town. The old man asks:

"How were they were you're coming from?"

"Terrible. Cliquish, unfriendly, and vain. I couldn't wait to leave.

The old man answered:

"Well, you'll find them the same here."

The boy wrinkled his brow and moved on. The second boy later approached him and asked the same question. But when asked about the people in his town, he replied:

"Great. Helpful, friendly, and fun. I made a lot of friends and I'm really going to miss them."

"Well, you'll find them the same here."

The boy happily skipped away to his new adventure.

The point is that the old man knew that to a great degree, the people you meet are but a reflection of how you perceive them. It's the observer-expectancy effect in action.