Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   New Format for The frame doesn't fit pass-around game (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1167716)

tarsi 03-05-19 10:27 AM

New Format for The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Hello,

I know it's been tried before but an online spreadsheet seems to be a much more efficient way of managing the bikes for trade and what people are looking for in the "Pass-around game" thread. A link to a now abandoned spreadsheet is on the very first post of the the thread but most members don't even know that spread sheet exists (including myself) because the best strategy for browsing that thread is to start at the end and work your way back through the older posts. Because there are so many and it spans so many years, users never make it back to the very beginning.

Anyway, I started a new spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kE-3MiPc#gid=0) and would like to propose a new thread called something like "Bike/Frame Swap Dashboard" that would be pinned at the top of the Classic & Vintage section and would only have one post in it with a link to the spreadsheet. The thread should be locked so nobody replies and starts using it in the way the existing thread is used.

Please let me know if this idea is possible and/or if there is anything else you'd need from me.

samkl 03-17-19 11:37 AM

Hello? Mods? Everyone in the other thread is waiting for you to act on this!

CliffordK 03-17-19 03:08 PM

I haven't paid much attention to the thread. Perhaps I should.

However, one option might be to break it up into several different threads. Post looking for & for trade in each respective thread.

< 51.5 cm frames.
52-53.5 cm frames.
54-56.5 cm frames.
57 to 60 cm frames
> 60.5 cm frames.

Measure middle of bottom bracket to the top of the top tube along the seat tube for classic horizontal bottom top tube bikes.

For sloping top tube bikes, go by the manufacture's size, or measure horizontal distance from middle of seatpost to middle of head tube.

Still, the issue is going back and finding a gem, or someone seeking from months or years before. But, at least new posts will bump the thread (E-Mail).

I try to look at where a person is whenever someone bumps the facilitator's thread.

tarsi 03-18-19 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20841965)
one option might be to break it up into several different threads. Post looking for & for trade in each respective thread.

< 51.5 cm frames.
52-53.5 cm frames.
54-56.5 cm frames.
57 to 60 cm frames
> 60.5 cm frames.

The advantage of a spreadsheet is it gives you a quick snapshot of everything available without having to click through multiple posts/threads. The spreadsheet has a field for frame size so a user can quickly filter/search for all frames/bikes in their size. The spreadsheet doesn't offer anything that isn't currently possible through the forum threads it is just a more efficient way of managing these listings.

tarsi 06-10-19 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 20842975)
The spreadsheet doesn't offer anything that isn't currently possible through the forum threads it is just a more efficient way of managing these listings.

Still awaiting an admin response :troll:

IBRyan 06-10-19 10:13 AM

I will look into this!

IBRyan 06-12-19 12:23 PM

Looked into it and unfortunately until there is a bigger need/want from the community, we cannot move forward with it.

smontanaro 06-14-19 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by IBRyan (Post 20975251)
Looked into it and unfortunately until there is a bigger need/want from the community, we cannot move forward with it.

@tarsi I'm not sure the community has been able to properly provide its collective input. If one is not johnny-on-the-spot and visits the form every time the thread is updated (I don't), it's entirely possible that huge swaths of subscribers to these sorts of threads will have not seen your proposal. Perhaps add a poll to this thread and a link to the current frame-doesn't-fit thread and :bump: it every few days for a couple weeks or so.

mountaindave 06-16-19 08:48 PM

+1 for tarsi’s spreadsheet idea.

Rollfast 06-18-19 05:49 AM

It doesn't sound much different than some of the threads like Pay It Forward or Saddle Swap to me, although I've never been there (I tend to find bikes and keep them).

shoota 06-25-19 01:46 PM

How does the manager of the spreadsheet account for old listings where the users aren't responding. I can see it getting out of hand because no one will come back to update the spreadsheet, ever.

Tulok 08-14-19 08:23 AM

Phone numbers or emails

I think that an easy solution to the old, non respondent postings is to have the spreadsheet be private, and you have to put in a real phone number.
C&V is a slow moving world, I know that I personally, although I’m only in my late 20’s have held onto frames for years at a time. I don’t think anyone who’s been into c&v for “at least” as long as me, 8 years now, would have a problem putting on a phone number! As long as it is an invite with link spreadsheet so the BOTS can’t get all of your info.
I don’t want to see full name, address and social security. I really think that a City or county and state with a phone number would also make traders to be more committed

Rollfast 08-18-19 04:34 PM

This is simple. Report those to staff and let them deal with it.

By the way, why are we talking about a spreadsheet?

That's not required.