Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Resisted temptation today (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178602)

horatio 07-17-19 09:05 AM

Resisted temptation today

Hard to believe, I know! I'm guilty of poring through CL ads for vintage bikes lately. Spotted an interesting Bianchi locally and decided to take a look today. It was reasonably priced for an '86 model and pics indicated some Campy bits, so it could have gone either way, i.e. a gem in the rough, or just another low-end bike. It was a frankenbike build, for sure, and a lower level Japanese model, probably a Sport SX. (The model name was covered with stickers!) I was thinking maybe I'd buy it and part it out if too small, but it just didn't appeal to me in person. Had the headset been Campy, I probably would have made a deal, but I won't lose sleep over this one.

Bianchigirll 07-17-19 09:57 AM

Is that the bike posted in the ‘looking for one of these’? It looked like an 87 Sport SC wif Campi Athena bits.

Phil_gretz 07-17-19 10:32 AM

Similarlyl...

I walked away from a two bike deal for $160. First was a Fuji Finest with high flange tubular wheelset, Campy brakes, drilled Sugino crankset and a Crane RD. Second was a Kabuki or some such that had a good alloy wheelset plus a SunTour gen one Cyclone RD. I had already put the money into the seller's hand, and then changed my mind because there were other priority projects for me, including some non-bike projects for my wife. I walked away...

Phil_gretz 07-17-19 10:58 AM

...and when I got home and told my wife what I had done, she leaped back and grabbed a kitchen knife. In an athletic crouch, she screamed, "who are you, and what have you done to my husband?"

randyjawa 07-17-19 11:16 AM

Left this sitting at the Dump a couple of weeks ago...
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53d7ca0fcf.jpg

horatio 07-17-19 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 21031607)
Is that the bike posted in the ‘looking for one of these’? It looked like an 87 Sport SC wif Campi Athena bits.

That's it. Tange CroMo tubing. Athena brakes, aero levers and RD. ?Campy Synchro DT levers. Sugino crankset. Nashbar hubs. He said he'd take $150, for anyone else interested. And, yes, its pink.

rustystrings61 07-17-19 11:48 AM

I'm still resisting temptation - I stumbled onto a Raleigh Competition Mk. II in my size with Nervex Professional lugs, and it appears to be complete and all original except for saddle and bar tape - $175. I walked away - for now.

horatio 07-17-19 01:11 PM

Forgot to mention it's a 53cm frame.

noobinsf 07-17-19 02:19 PM

Boo. I come here to live vicariously through others' mistakes. Thumbs down.

machinist42 07-18-19 11:43 PM

The Flesh Is Weak

Originally Posted by noobinsf (Post 21032042)
Boo. I come here to live vicariously through others' mistakes. Thumbs down.

You're in luck! My resolve did not fare so well. I posted the Bianchi to the "Are You Looking..." thread, which instigated this thread. I often post bikes to that thread to avoid buying them. (Also, it was too small for me.) I do regret one such posting which still haunts me. It was a '73 Colnago for $300. I had dibs, and someone (from here, bless his heart), offered to facilitate, but I couldn't get it together. Otherwise, posting to "Are You Looking..." allows me to expunge the bike from my memory.

I didn't post one there recently. I paid for it and for the packing of it by a bike shop a few hours ago. I'll arrange Bikeflights or Shipbike once I have the dimensions.

I have a new plan. I'm buying this bike to keep me from buying other bikes. It's not terribly expensive. But now I won't need other bikes, so will sell them. I bought a "stealth" Ghibli a few months ago. It is a repaint with "American Classic" decals. It rides so well I don't really want to ride any of my other "go-fast" bikes. I don't mind parting with them. But the "American Classic" was supposed to be my new beater bike. I can't put a rack on it. No eyelets. So I bought a bike with eyelets. I'll put a rack on it. I can only think of one other "sports touring" bike with eyelets and a long wheelbase I've ever seen I would rather have, and there's slim chance of one of those coming my way.

So, that's my new plan: buy a bike to keep from buying bikes.

What could go wrong?

Lascauxcaveman 07-18-19 11:58 PM

Me: "I got an email from Bainbridge Classic Cycle about the old Trek I have up for sale on Craigslist. The guy said I could maybe trade it in for store credit."

Wife "..."

Me: "I was thinking; maybe I could trade in four or five of my bikes with them and use the store credit to get one really high end bike I want from them. They often post some really great stuff for sale, in my size."

Wife: "WHY DO YOU WANT TO GET ANOTHER BIKE?!!"

Me: "No, no, no... Didn't you hear the part about me getting rid of four or five bikes?"

And so it goes. :rolleyes:

Hudson308 07-19-19 06:25 AM

You're a better man than I am. :innocent:

wrk101 07-19-19 06:46 AM

Myself, I still buy bikes I really don't want if the price is right. Typically I will donate them to the co op. Picked up an Ironman yesterday that will likely go that route. Cosmetically challenged, missing most of the original parts, way too big. Will make a good bike for the co op.

The one thing I will never do is keep them around. They either have to be donated or a quick sale (at an attractive price).

Bandera 07-19-19 07:10 AM

Buy a bike that does not fit me?
Never, no matter what it is.

-Bandera

qcpmsame 07-19-19 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 21034408)
Me: "I got an email from Bainbridge Classic Cycle about the old Trek I have up for sale on Craigslist. The guy said I could maybe trade it in for store credit."

Wife "..."

Me: "I was thinking; maybe I could trade in four or five of my bikes with them and use the store credit to get one really high end bike I want from them. They often post some really great stuff for sale, in my size."

Me: "No, no, no... Didn't you hear the part about me getting rid of four or five bikes?"

Its called selective hearing loss, mostly found in long time married, to C&V cyclists', women.......:innocent:

Bill

Digger Goreman 07-19-19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 21034408)

Wife "..."

This is the "tools and jersey" discussion every day for me and mine! :trainwreck:

delbiker1 07-19-19 01:30 PM

I think I have to resist temptation nearly everyday. Most days not a bike/frame but components, accessories, clothes etc. that I see on sale, or not, at different websites, want ads, bike shops and c'list/Ebay. I keep telling myself to quit looking, but I really like window, so to speak, shopping for bike related items Recently it has been clothes and saddles. If one really looks, one is going to find something they "need" or want. But the distinction between need and want gets blurred quite easily when a legitimately good price on an item is found. Not saying there saying there is anything wrong with want, but compulsive purchases, for me anyway, often wind up sitting in a drawer, tool box or hanging in a closet with other stuff that do not fit into my thoughts and expectations at the time of purchase.