Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Need a reroute through Missouri (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174453)

revcp 05-31-19 02:57 PM

Need a reroute through Missouri

Leaving from the Twin Cities June 9 for a tour. We were planning on hitting the Katy Trail around June 17 at Marthasville, taking it west to Windsor and then heading to Kansas. Problem is about 100 miles of the trail is under water, so it's basically closed. Looking for a reroute that, if possible, will still take us through Columbia to see friends. Any experience out there?

alan s 05-31-19 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by revcp (Post 20956387)
Leaving from the Twin Cities June 9 for a tour. We were planning on hitting the Katy Trail around June 17 at Marthasville, taking it west to Windsor and then heading to Kansas. Problem is about 100 miles of the trail is under water, so it's basically closed. Looking for a reroute that, if possible, will still take us through Columbia to see friends. Any experience out there?

Can’t help on the reroute, but it looks like at least the portion from Boonville to Clinton is unaffected. When I was riding the Katy Trail a few weeks ago, levels were already high, but it has been raining quite a bit since then. I hate to admit it, but this in now the 4th place I’ve toured in the past few years that has seen major damage shortly thereafter. Florida Keys hurricane, Florida Panhandle hurricane, Big Sur bridge washout/massive landslide, and now the Katy Trail flood and major tornado in Jefferson City two blocks from the hotel I stayed in. It’s either really good timing, or I leave a path of destruction in my wake.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...51b2872fec.png

boomhauer 05-31-19 04:28 PM

I've ridden from Hannibal, MO to Columbia, MO using state highways. It was pretty easy to figure out and low traffic volumes.

revcp 05-31-19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by boomhauer (Post 20956509)
I've ridden from Hannibal, MO to Columbia, MO using state highways. It was pretty easy to figure out and low traffic volumes.

Thanks. I did a quick route with bbrouter and then checked it against the MO bike map. Looks good.

Hondo Gravel 06-01-19 08:44 PM

Going to ride the GAP in a few days and on the way home might hit the Katy from Booneville to Clinton away from the Missouri River.

boomhauer 06-02-19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by revcp (Post 20956633)
Thanks. I did a quick route with bbrouter and then checked it against the MO bike map. Looks good.

If you want something to see along the way....
All I remember is a fairly large Amish community north by northeast of Columbia, MO about 30 miles. It took me a few hours to realize there weren't any power lines. Lots of bailing of hay the old fashion way. I'm not a farmer and don't know much but it was fun to watch. Try the county roads instead of state highways.
If you are going through Kansas later this link looks fairly helpful for free camping. It lists all the towns where you can sleep for free.
Free City Park Camping in Kansas

revcp 06-02-19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by boomhauer (Post 20959057)
If you want something to see along the way....
All I remember is a fairly large Amish community north by northeast of Columbia, MO about 30 miles. It took me a few hours to realize there weren't any power lines. Lots of bailing of hay the old fashion way. I'm not a farmer and don't know much but it was fun to watch. Try the county roads instead of state highways.
If you are going through Kansas later this link looks fairly helpful for free camping. It lists all the towns where you can sleep for free.
Free City Park Camping in Kansas

Thanks so much for the link. That would be the Clark Amish community. We may have to ride through.

Marcus_Ti 06-02-19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by alan s (Post 20956423)
Can’t help on the reroute, but it looks like at least the portion from Boonville to Clinton is unaffected. When I was riding the Katy Trail a few weeks ago, levels were already high, but it has been raining quite a bit since then. I hate to admit it, but this in now the 4th place I’ve toured in the past few years that has seen major damage shortly thereafter. Florida Keys hurricane, Florida Panhandle hurricane, Big Sur bridge washout/massive landslide, and now the Katy Trail flood and major tornado in Jefferson City two blocks from the hotel I stayed in. It’s either really good timing, or I leave a path of destruction in my wake.

Would it be bad manners for me to ask you keep a minimum safe distance? :roflmao2:

Missouri Parks cancelled a ride of ours due to flooding. Originally we were going to overnight at Big Lake State Park....Mo Parks refunded our reservations and told us to go anywhere else--as they suspect by September the land will still be flooded and or a swamp

alan s 06-02-19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20959123)
Would it be bad manners for me to ask you keep a minimum safe distance? :roflmao2:

Missouri Parks cancelled a ride of ours due to flooding. Originally we were going to overnight at Big Lake State Park....Mo Parks refunded our reservations and told us to go anywhere else--as they suspect by September the land will still be flooded and or a swamp

The Oregon Coast should start preparing NOW!

indyfabz 06-03-19 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by alan s (Post 20959267)
The Oregon Coast should start preparing NOW!

:lol:

When I was touring out west in '00 the Bitteroot Valley in MT and then Yellowstone experienced major fires not long after I passed through. My destination was Mesa Verde National Park. Was living in the park for five days with some friends who were interning there when the park caught fire. We had to evacuate into town, where the rest of the students were staying. Lost my tent in the fire.

In 2017, a couple of areas I rode through in MT caught fire a few weeks after I passed through.

stardognine 06-03-19 08:11 AM

Which is why I tour alone. Someayouse guys are just bad luck. 😛😁😉