Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Winter transition (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1184533)

robnol 09-26-19 11:11 PM

Winter transition

the colder it gets and the shorter the days I find myself moving over to running more and more...mentally a 10 mile run seems easier and takes less time...its not it must be the winter biking blahs getting a hold of me....anybody else feel this way in the winter

Machka 09-27-19 03:01 AM

Again?
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...e-boredom.html

indyfabz 09-27-19 03:44 AM

Tempting the Mods.

shelbyfv 09-27-19 04:59 AM

Does seem as if trolls were once less repetitive.

robnol 09-27-19 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21140321)
Does seem as if trolls were once less repetitive.

I forget some people cant run ..and are dedicated single sport recreation riders

robnol 09-27-19 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 21140266)

its not boredom but seasonal winter transition to running...because of cold and lack of daylight.....

livedarklions 09-27-19 05:39 AM

I can't run because I have congenital foot problems that quickly compromise my ability to walk if my feet are subjected to high impact. So?

Basically, I'm not a fan of riding on icy roads, so I shift to working out in the gym during the winter. That literally exhausts everything relevant I have to say on this fascinating and not-at-all repetitive "run as well as bike" topic.
I'm getting the sense that people are generally focusing on getting their last pre-winter riding in and coming up with almost no good thread topics.

Wileyrat 09-27-19 05:47 AM

Move to Southern Arizona. Our real riding season is just beginning.

robnol 09-27-19 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21140342)
I can't run because I have congenital foot problems that quickly compromise my ability to walk if my feet are subjected to high impact. So?

Basically, I'm not a fan of riding on icy roads, so I shift to working out in the gym during the winter. That literally exhausts everything relevant I have to say on this fascinating and not-at-all repetitive "run as well as bike" topic.
I'm getting the sense that people are generally focusing on getting their last pre-winter riding in and coming up with almost no good thread topics.

im glad that u will have nothing more to say ….not much of interest anyway

robnol 09-27-19 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 21140347)

nice warm all year....that would be awesome

shelbyfv 09-27-19 06:31 AM

If I had to ride a tri bike every day, I'd probably look for a reason to cut the season short! Swimming is good winter exercise if you can get past all the cooties in the water.

Litespud 09-27-19 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21140198)
the colder it gets and the shorter the days I find myself moving over to running more and more...mentally a 10 mile run seems easier and takes less time...its not it must be the winter biking blahs getting a hold of me....anybody else feel this way in the winter

Here in NC it’ll start to get chilly, but we seldom see snow or even seriously icy roads. Soon time to dig out the arm warmers and tights, but that’s about it - just a slightly different riding vibe, but also a nice change after summer

BobbyG 09-27-19 06:47 AM

Nope.

MattTheHat 09-27-19 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 21140400)
Here in NC it’ll start to get chilly, but we seldom see snow or even seriously icy roads. Soon time to dig out the arm warmers and tights, but that’s about it - just a slightly different riding vibe, but also a nice change after summer

It’s similar here in north Texas. In another couple of months I’ll have to think about digging out my long cycling pants and full fingered gloves.

I-Like-To-Bike 09-27-19 07:37 AM

Not a chance that I would ever prefer running over bicycling; over any distance or whatever the weather or lighting conditions.

Daniel4 09-27-19 07:50 AM

If it gets darker, turn on your lights.
If it gets colder, put on a sweater.
If it snows, put on your winter tires.

Flip Flop Rider 09-27-19 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 21140504)

here here!

robnol 09-27-19 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21140489)
Not a chance that I would ever prefer running over bicycling; over any distance or whatever the weather or lighting conditions.

Are u a runner?can you run 10 miles?are u a recreational rider or are you training for speed and distance....

gregf83 09-27-19 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21140526)
Are u a runner?can you run 10 miles?are u a recreational rider or are you training for speed and distance....

Are u a bot?

robnol 09-27-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by gregf83 (Post 21140545)
Are u a bot?

All valid questions when u talk about riding over running in cold dark winter time

livedarklions 09-27-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 21140504)

Cold I can deal with, darkness I don't much care for but weekend daylight is fine, snow I can deal with, but it gets icy here a lot, and I'm just too old for that crap.

I used to do a lot of winter biking, but I never found it much fun.

Rajflyboy 09-27-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 21140347)

This

I-Like-To-Bike 09-27-19 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21140526)

I am not, and have never been "a runner" or "training" for anything related to bicycling in over 65 years of bicycling

Why in the heck should I or any other poster on BF, even think of running any distance let alone 10 miles - because the weather changes, or because you get bored?:lol:

robnol 09-27-19 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21140577)
I am not, and have never been "a runner" or "training" for anything related to bicycling in over 65 years of bicycling

Why in the heck should I or any other poster on BF, even think of running any distance let alone 10 miles - because the weather changes, or because you get bored?:lol:

This has nothing to do with boredom... genius...

NomarsGirl 09-27-19 09:25 AM

We are heading into the best riding weather of the year here. I love October! I can enjoy the fall colors and ride in cooler (but not yet cold) temperatures. I do have to shift the time of my rides earlier in the day to get back before dark.

November is fine too with some cool-weather gear. I won't ride with snow or ice on the ground or if it's truly cold out where you don't start to warm up after about 10 minutes of pedaling.

I've never been a runner. This winter, I'm planning to shift my activities indoors and (gasp!) go to the gym. Or sit on my couch and knit and get fat.