Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Track Frames (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=750269)

eyeglasses 07-09-11 10:12 PM

Track Frames

I've been riding a mercier kilo TT for 7 or 8 months-ish and am considering about upgrading my frame (components have already been upgraded)

I'm just wondering what a higher quality frame entails when compared to a lower end. Is it just lighter/stronger? Or is there something else I'm missing?

hairnet 07-09-11 10:20 PM

looks by fancy tubing, paint, and drop outs

hamish5178 07-09-11 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by eyeglasses (Post 12905181)
I'm just wondering what a higher quality frame entails when compared to a lower end. Is it just lighter/stronger? Or is there something else I'm missing?

A nicer frame may be any of the following: lighter, heavier (some high end track frames are pretty heavy), stiffer, nicer looking, made from name-brand tubing, made of more expensive materials (carbon).

Mostly though, it's all about the stiffness.

tFUnK 07-10-11 01:07 AM

More responsive and maybe more aero.

cc700 07-10-11 01:31 AM

hamish is right: stiffer (if it's for the track) which results in better transfer of power to motion.

Kayce 07-10-11 01:48 PM

A track frame is different than a fixed/ss frame. Which are you looking for?

arp415 07-10-11 02:16 PM

These Are your best bet:

Www.mixiebike.com

Sherblock 07-10-11 02:38 PM

^ This is true.

toosahn 07-10-11 03:26 PM

I think the most important thing to consider when picking a frame (assuming it's not straight-gauge steel), is the geometry and fit. Just pick your preferred metal, steel or aluminum, then find the frame that suits your needs and fits you best.

Kayce 07-10-11 03:28 PM

A hi-ten bike that fits is is always the better choice over a carbon, ti, etc bike that doesnt.

toosahn 07-10-11 03:46 PM

^true. I would just get neither. save up for at least 4130.

Leukybear 07-10-11 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by toosahn (Post 12907681)
^true. I would just get neither. save up for at least 4130.

OP's kilo tt is made out of reynolds 520 aka 4130 that's "brand name".

Thetank 07-11-11 07:37 AM

I say stick with the kilo, getting a fancy track frame is more for the simple idea that once one outgrows riding the starter bike, buying some $1000 NJS Stamped super rare Keirin racer's old bike is in order. It isn't, some of the most dedicated fixed gear riders I know has 3Renshos built up yet still continues to ride a bikeisland frame. If you want one for cool points I'm not gonna advise against it as it's your money, if you want one cause you think it will improve your riding speed/comfort/enjoyment it's not gonna give you that unless all you care about is the name on the downtube.

eyeglasses 07-12-11 03:02 PM

Ok, so i guess I'll stick with my kilo frame. I don't really require a better transfer of power because i'm only riding through town.

Thanks for the input everybody

JohnDThompson 07-12-11 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kayce (Post 12907237)
A track frame is different than a fixed/ss frame. Which are you looking for?

^^^^
+1 this.

If you're riding on the street (as opposed to competitive riding in a velodrome), a track frame is arguably not the ideal frame for street riding. Keep in mind as well that there are several types of "track" frames available, depending on the particular event you intend to compete in. In general, though, track frames will have short wheelbases, steep angles, and tight clearances (tire and pedal) compared to bikes used outside a velodrome.

The bottom line is the "ideal" frame is the frame designed for the type of riding *YOU* do. If you plan on doing a substantial fraction of your riding competitively in a velodrome, then a high-end track frame may be a good investment for you. If you're riding is more casual and on potholed streets, a frame designed for that type of environment will be more suitable.

carleton 07-12-11 10:38 PM

Just over 6 months and you've upgraded everything?

Anybody got the link to that BSNYC post on that topic?

I had a VW buddy that spent 3-4 years upgrading damn near everything on his MKIII Jetta. He spent tens of thousands of dollars on top of the original cost of the car. With the total amount of money he spent on the Jetta making it into a sports car he could have easily bought a BMW M3 or Porsche 911...and those cars would have retained significant resale value. His Jetta did not.

carleton 07-12-11 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 12919863)
The bottom line is the "ideal" frame is the frame designed for the type of riding *YOU* do. If you plan on doing a substantial fraction of your riding competitively in a velodrome, then a high-end track frame may be a good investment for you. If you're riding is more casual and on potholed streets, a frame designed for that type of environment will be more suitable.

+1

This is why people own multiple bikes.

A race-spec track bike isn't great on the road, especially when compared to bikes made for road riding.