Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   2007 Centaur (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=193824)

53-11_alltheway 05-06-06 06:19 PM

2007 Centaur

I was just reading up on the Campyonly site that this group will be getting the Chorus 2006 shifters and the CF crank.

pretty cool.

MattC 05-06-06 06:58 PM

I was going to order a full Chorus kit for my Litespeed frame but am waiting a bit to see if any thing cool is coming out. If this is true I am glad that I have waited.

53-11_alltheway 05-06-06 10:37 PM

http://www.campyonly.com/rumors.html

Looks like Record and other shifters will have a shorter throw shifting mechanism also. Apparently needing only 1/3 the distance.

f.gump 05-07-06 02:31 AM

The Centaur will get an Ergopower which looks like the Chorus one, but only allows upshifts one by one, and the left one is indexed, no multiclick adjusting. It will also get a carbon outer plate in the RD. No CF crank though. But the 2007 alu crank is Ultra-Torque, which is the new generation of campy cranks with integrated bb.

53-11_alltheway 05-07-06 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by f.gump
The Centaur will get an Ergopower which looks like the Chorus one, but only allows upshifts one by one, and the left one is indexed, no multiclick adjusting. It will also get a carbon outer plate in the RD. No CF crank though. But the 2007 alu crank is Ultra-Torque, which is the new generation of campy cranks with integrated bb.

So it doesn't have the chorus ball bearings in it? If its just a regular veloce lever with a stupid little carbon fiber lever I will not be impressed.

The ultra torque sounds cool though. I never liked CF cranks anyway.

f.gump 05-07-06 03:57 AM

No, it's not a Veloce lever, it is a Chorus lever sans the ball bearings and with an entirely different mechanism inside, plus the CF brake lever and composite (plastic) shift lever; it will loose 70g though. Looks are like the Chorus/Record levers.
The new bb is the real advantage, a true step ahead of the old square axle.

cs1 05-07-06 03:59 AM

I am riding a Daytona/Centaur on my old 1995 Waterford. I chose it because it was the only high quality group Campy made in all aluminum. I wanted a Non carbon group on the bike. Nothing wrong with carbon. I just prefer the look of polished aluminum.

Centaur is a bizare offering in Campy's lineup. Chorus and Record are almost identical. Usually Chorus is last years Record. Centaur is a Veloce/Chorus hybrid. It is considered the last of the high end group line. Yet it is basically Veloce with a nice finish and some Chorus engineered parts.

Tim

domestique 05-07-06 04:48 AM

I have 06 Veloce on my OLMO, and I haven't had a problem with it..... I doubt I would go to Centaur just becuase the difference is soo minute. Now Chourus on the other hand, I will eventually upgrade to.

"Some rumors tell that only RECORD and CHORUS shifters will still keep the current downshift thump button to drop as many gears as wanted. The others groups will only be able to drop one gear... "

That would really suck if only record, and chorus kept the thumb shifter to drop multiple gears! I love that feature about Campy, and is one of the main reasons I went Campy over Shimano!

53-11_alltheway 05-07-06 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by cs1
I am riding a Daytona/Centaur on my old 1995 Waterford. I chose it because it was the only high quality group Campy made in all aluminum. I wanted a Non carbon group on the bike. Nothing wrong with carbon. I just prefer the look of polished aluminum.

Centaur is a bizare offering in Campy's lineup. Chorus and Record are almost identical. Usually Chorus is last years Record. Centaur is a Veloce/Chorus hybrid. It is considered the last of the high end group line. Yet it is basically Veloce with a nice finish and some Chorus engineered parts.

Tim

I agree. In essence the only difference between 2006 Centaur and 2006 Veloce is a slightly better rear derailleur. (hubs are better too but this is not an issue for those running aftermarket wheels)

Chorus is the real jump upwards from veloce.....not centaur.

H1449-6 05-07-06 05:48 AM

Any idea when the 2007 Campy line is coming out? Is it like automobile model years, where it shows up in the fall of the previous year?

mellowdave 05-07-06 08:27 AM

if the short throw thing comes to fruition, I will almost assuredly upgrade. I am loving that idea...

53-11_alltheway 05-07-06 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mellowdave
if the short throw thing comes to fruition, I will almost assuredly upgrade. I am loving that idea...

Seriously, I like the idea of these new short throw shifters muself. This sounds like a serious upgrade more so than the BB.

Surferbruce 05-07-06 05:49 PM

it sucks that they're ditching the multi gear throw and front dr trim options. i also read the thumb shifters are getting clipped on the low-mid range stuff too. all these things are part of what sold me on campy (centaur). looks like it's gonna be only chorus and record from here.

14max 05-07-06 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cs1
I chose it because it was the only high quality group Campy made in all aluminum. I wanted a Non carbon group on the bike. Nothing wrong with carbon. I just prefer the look of polished aluminum.

+1.

I'm considering a Cinelli Super Corsa, Heron Road, or Mercian Audax build with Centaur. I really don't want carbon fiber and the weight of the Veloce makes it less than desirable...

53-11_alltheway 05-07-06 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 14max
+1.

I'm considering a Cinelli Super Corsa, Heron Road, or Mercian Audax build with Centaur. I really don't want carbon fiber and the weight of the Veloce makes it less than desirable...

I have to admit the CF stuff does not appeal to me. Its one of those "all show" type things that doesn't seem to improve anything and in some cases makes it worse. For example FSA has reportedly had problems with their K force cranks aluminum spider delaminating from the ******** bling CF arms (that also flex more than hollow aluminum).

I'm sure the campagnolo CF cranks are better than FSA stuff though.

14max 05-07-06 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
For example FSA has reportedly had problems with their K force cranks aluminum spider delaminating from the ******** bling CF arms (that also flex more than hollow aluminum).

Good example. I just don't see the point (other than weight) of CF in these applications. I'm really leaning toward '06 Centaur because I don't want the higher weight of Veloce and the CF in Chorus. So, while Centaur may be a bit of an oddly placed group it seems to fit my needs...

domestique 05-07-06 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Surferbruce
it sucks that they're ditching the multi gear throw and front dr trim options. i also read the thumb shifters are getting clipped on the low-mid range stuff too. all these things are part of what sold me on campy (centaur). looks like it's gonna be only chorus and record from here.

Same here! These are some of the things that make Campy soo much better then Shimano..... ohh well.... gives us a reason to upgrade!

DocRay 05-07-06 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Surferbruce

screw that, might as well buy SRAM then. I love the multi gear throw and front dr trim options.
I just replaced my Centaur shifters with Chorus, I'll give them up when they're pryed from my cold dead hands.