Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Here come new Garmin toys: Vector 3 and Edge 1030! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1117141)

Masque 08-02-17 02:35 PM

Here come new Garmin toys: Vector 3 and Edge 1030!

http://gpsrumors.com/wp-content/uplo...t-08.44.51.png

http://gpsrumors.com/wp-content/uplo...t-08.44.29.png

Looking forward to the Vector 3, especially!

Source: http://gpsrumors.com/garmin-edge-1030-soon

MikeOK 08-02-17 02:41 PM

Cool. I'll have to add that 1030 to my Christmas wish list this year.

WhyFi 08-02-17 03:00 PM

I'll be interested to see what the pricing is like on the PM pedals - I'd love to see an aggressive price, but I'm not confident that that's going to happen.

Marcus_Ti 08-02-17 04:46 PM

Hopefully the larger screen diagonal is indeed due to reduced bezel-size. E1K is already a bit goofy-big.

I'll believe it when I see it that the 1030 has a 16hr endurance battery.

bonz50 08-02-17 05:37 PM

wonder if it will be worth the upgrade over my 800. probably not until my 800 craps the bed and i'll probably replace with a 520 unless there is a compelling reason

datlas 08-02-17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 19763589)
I'll be interested to see what the pricing is like on the PM pedals - I'd love to see an aggressive price, but I'm not confident that that's going to happen.

I would refer you to the "Cycling is so Expensive" thread...

Bolo Grubb 08-02-17 05:53 PM

I am still using a Garmin Edge 305, but hey it still works and does what I need. Now those pedals...

Tech420 08-03-17 01:33 PM

I can't find any more information on the pedals. Would love to know what updates they have done and when they will be available. I'm currently in the market for a power meter and was shopping the Stages vs Vector 2S. I like the idea of the Garmins being able to upgrade to a 2 pedal system.

RushFan2112 08-03-17 01:36 PM

I know the Edge 1000 doesn't get a lot of love but I really like mine, mostly because of the extra screen real estate. If I was in the market for a new Garmin I'd take a serious look at the 1030.

RPK79 08-03-17 02:37 PM

I love how bullet point 2 on the pedals is *easy to install*. Yeah, they're pedals. Duh.

topslop1 08-03-17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 19763895)
I would refer you to the "Cycling is so Expensive" thread...

Garmin, for RWP. 1030 looks neat, can't touch anything, just looking.

lyrictenor1 08-03-17 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 19766079)
I love how bullet point 2 on the pedals is *easy to install*. Yeah, they're pedals. Duh.

I’m sure they're referring to the people who complained that it was difficult to use a torque wrench to install pedals (as well as the uber difficult power pod installation requiring the included 2.5 28mm hex wrench).

MaxxTraxx 08-03-17 06:04 PM

For people with the Garmin Edge 1000, is it easy to use with the touchscreen? That would be a negative for me.

Seattle Forrest 08-03-17 06:41 PM

Figures. I just spent $800 on a set of Vector 2s.

FlashBazbo 08-03-17 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxTraxx (Post 19766482)
For people with the Garmin Edge 1000, is it easy to use with the touchscreen? That would be a negative for me.

Very easy. Much easier and more intuitive than push buttons.

It's like a smart phone compared to a flip phone. The touch interface allows a lot more functionality.

MaxxTraxx 08-03-17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo (Post 19766574)
Very easy. Much easier and more intuitive than push buttons.

It's like a smart phone compared to a flip phone. The touch interface allows a lot more functionality.

I'm assuming the interface is a bit smoother and faster than the 520 then. Also, do you know how to turn off the email notification of a quoted post?

memebag 08-03-17 08:04 PM

It's not as good as push buttons. I have a 1000 and a 25. The push buttons on the 25 are easy to use while riding ad they don't get accidentally pushed while in a jersey pocket. The 1000 touchscreen gets confused by sweat. Sometimes it doesn't respond. I have to lock it before I put it in a pocket.

Marcus_Ti 08-03-17 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by memebag (Post 19766730)
It's not as good as push buttons. I have a 1000 and a 25. The push buttons on the 25 are easy to use while riding ad they don't get accidentally pushed while in a jersey pocket. The 1000 touchscreen gets confused by sweat. Sometimes it doesn't respond. I have to lock it before I put it in a pocket.

I've never had my E1K glitch out due to sweat...rain can sometimes confuse it.

Remembering the Good Old Days (they really weren't) of Edge 205/305 and Edge 705 that were button only...please never again. I'll take the odd glitch over needing 500 button presses any day.

chaadster 08-04-17 02:42 AM

Hopefully Garmin gets it right with these two products, because they are certainly under threat from other products in both head unit and powermeter spheres.

Garmin has the resources to make top quality products, but they had fallen behind in several areas, and I think were critically flawed in not realizing that the average smartphone is a powerful ally in device setup and management.

Anyway, the rider to rider messaging sound like a big feature which could make 1030 the leading choice for club rider leaders, tour group operators, and maybe even race teams. Somethling like push-of-a-button, on-the-fly transmission of time behind on a route, or location on a route, to fellow riders would be pretty neat and darn useful in some scenarios.

Vectors got destroyed by easy setup of Powertap P1, so simplifying Vector was essential for survival of that product. I'm not sure they need it, but the "ecosystem" mentality is still a factor, so if they can deliver a profitable product, why not cash in on brand equity?

I'm glad to see competition and innovation.

garciawork 08-04-17 06:47 AM

Some of the intriguing features on the new edge (popularity based routing, improved cycling awareness?) appear to be software based, so they may be available elsewhere. Otherwise, the 520 is the best computer I have ever owned, so I won't be compelled to upgrade. Hell, my 500 was great, it was just 6 years old and I wanted auto uploads, and that is the only thing that bumped me to the 520.

RJM 08-04-17 07:07 AM

The touchscreen is easy to use and the menu interface is very intuitive, I think. You do need to use the screen lock function when you are riding if you tend to sweat onto the screen though. I don't think it is a big deal to use, but if you don't and you drop a bunch of sweat onto it, or if it is raining, the water will activate a data field and think that you want to change what is displayed in it.

I really wish a company would come out with a pedal based power meter system based on Shimano spd. There are enough road pedal PM meters out there, IMHO.

Seattle Forrest 08-04-17 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 19767120)
Vectors got destroyed by easy setup of Powertap P1, so simplifying Vector was essential for survival of that product.

Recently, I needed pedals, and a power meter. Buying Vector 2 over P1 was a no brainer. I wasn't willing to spend an extra ~$400 for a slightly simpler installation, which is going to happen rarely, and a much uglier pedal. (The difference in sticker price isn't so big, but it's easy to get a discount on Vectors.)

Marcus_Ti 08-04-17 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by RJM (Post 19767362)
The touchscreen is easy to use and the menu interface is very intuitive, I think. You do need to use the screen lock function when you are riding if you tend to sweat onto the screen though. I don't think it is a big deal to use, but if you don't and you drop a bunch of sweat onto it, or if it is raining, the water will activate a data field and think that you want to change what is displayed in it.

I really wish a company would come out with a pedal based power meter system based on Shimano spd. There are enough road pedal PM meters out there, IMHO.

Hard to do for a few reasons:

-SPD pedals are fairly open to aid in mud shedding-hard to get a strain gauge in there
-SPD is intended as an MTB pedal...considering how badly beaten up MTB pedals get when used for MTB....it wouldn't last long...hence the pref for crankarm sensors
-MTB pedals (overwhelmingly) have the shoe tread resting on the pedal by design, making measurement error prone I'd wager...as opposed to say LOOK style cleats that bear 100% of the pedaling force.**

**Only MTB pedal I know of offhand where the only contact between shoe and pedal is the cleat (like in road shoes), is the Speedplay Syzr.

FlashBazbo 08-04-17 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by memebag (Post 19766730)

Really? I would call Garmin about that, if I were you. I used a 1000 for three years in all kinds of weather, including all kinds of terrain, and never once had the touchscreen get confused by sweat, rain, snow, hail, gravel, accidental touches, or anything. Never a problem with it responding. You should call customer service.

chaadster 08-04-17 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 19767443)
Hard to do for a few reasons:

-SPD pedals are fairly open to aid in mud shedding-hard to get a strain gauge in there
-SPD is intended as an MTB pedal...considering how badly beaten up MTB pedals get when used for MTB....it wouldn't last long...hence the pref for crankarm sensors
-MTB pedals (overwhelmingly) have the shoe tread resting on the pedal by design, making measurement error prone I'd wager...as opposed to say LOOK style cleats that bear 100% of the pedaling force.**

**Only MTB pedal I know of offhand where the only contact between shoe and pedal is the cleat (like in road shoes), is the Speedplay Syzr.

Hmm, I thought pedal meters measured pedal spindle deflection, and so would expect the shoe/pedal interface doesn't matter.

Were I guessing, I'd say it's more to do with the challenges of dual-sided design, bit I don't know.