Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Velox Tressorstar where is this one ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1210015)

Alexthe 08-11-20 11:32 AM

Velox Tressorstar where is this one ?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...073e7bfffa.jpg
Do any of you know where I can get exactly this ? Hi I am looking for a non-weave type of tape for my vintage bike does Velox still make this? Or is it somewhere I can get it or something like it? If I have to go with a weave pattern, then I must, but would love to get A simple neutral Canvas like, this. This picture is from Gegges cycles . They don't have it , odd they even show this picture.
Thank you

Wildwood 08-11-20 11:38 AM

Newbaum's cloth tape comes in many colors and the rolls are a little bit longer.

www.newbaums.com

Velo Mule 08-11-20 12:17 PM

This is not made for handlebar tape, however, handlebar tape started out life as just cotton tape. There are several colors and widths available if you are not looking for the traditional "V" pattern bar tape.

Shaker Workshop Cotton Tape

Of course, there is no glue on the back side either.

Alexthe 09-04-20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Mule (Post 21635459)
This is not made for handlebar tape, however, handlebar tape started out life as just cotton tape. There are several colors and widths available if you are not looking for the traditional "V" pattern bar tape.

Thank you for the suggestion I will ask them for a sample . Have you tried this, or know anyone ?

randyjawa 09-04-20 07:15 PM

Cloth bar tape is, usually and readily availabe on Ebay and a decent prices. Just bought some red Velox and paid twenty bucks for two sets, delivered. Three rolls +++ - ten dollars on Ebay right now...
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...51c7098323.jpg

Charles Wahl 09-04-20 09:04 PM

I believe this is what the OP is getting at: the most common weave type for handlebar tape is a "twill weave" where a chevron pattern is prominent. OP's photo is of "plain weave" tape, and you can find Tressostar in plain weave pictured on many sources' sites -- whether it's available that way might be another story, but the pictures don't lie about it being different than a twill. I have Velox, Cateye and Newbaum's around, and every roll is twill. Note to OP: you'll have better luck looking for Velox Tressostar if you spell it correctly, though I know that correct spelling is fast falling out of fashion.

I believe that a twill is woven by taking the weft threads (the ones running the length of the ribbon) over two warp threads and under one, and then for the next warp thread you move the weft sequence up one warp thread each time. Then, to make the chevron, when you get to the middle of the tape, you start going back the other way, moving the weft sequence down a warp thread every time, rather than up.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b4b340701e.png

Plain weave, OTOH, has the weft going over one warp thread, and under one, with successive weft threads alternating the over and under warp threads.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4b904141f3.png

By the way, there's no woven tape that is "non-weave" (doh!) -- if you want that, then you either have to use some crazy type of weave, very fine, like sateen (such as ribbon for presents), or else go to a leather or synthetic (polymer or plastic) tapes like Benotto(which seems like sateen to me) or cushier PVA or some other plastic, with a pattern, dimples, or with holes. There are a lot of these, and they have pros and cons.

Velo Mule 09-04-20 09:07 PM

I have not tried it either for handlebar wrap or for Shaker style chairs. When you posted the picture I thought the Shaker chair tape looked close. Most ribbon seems to be twill style, with the "V" pattern.

Charles Wahl 09-04-20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Mule (Post 21678759)
I have not tried it either for handlebar wrap or for Shaker style chairs. When you posted the picture I thought the Shaker chair tape looked close. Most ribbon seems to be twill style, with the "V" pattern.

Shaker Workshops tape is 5/8" wide, and [EDIT]plain[/EDIT, don't know what my brain was doing], so far as I know (have built a couple of their chairs).

due ruote 09-04-20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl (Post 21678770)
Shaker Workshops tape is 5/8" wide, and twill, so far as I know (have built a couple of their chairs).

The link posted shows both 5/8” and 1”. And it looks like a plain non-chevron weave. Whether the product matches the pictures, I can’t say.
I do like some of those colors, and the price per yard is great. I wonder how it would work for wrapping bars, or if one might want to use an adhesive, and if so, what type. Perhaps if shellacked it would not be necessary(?)

Schreck83 09-05-20 06:55 AM

The Shaker tape is probably much thicker than bar tape. It is used to weave chair seats, which I wouldn't want to do with Tressostar or Neubaums.

ofajen 09-05-20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Mule (Post 21635459)

Sweet! It comes in “rust” color to match my old Schwinn frame! 😊

Otto

Charles Wahl 09-05-20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by due ruote (Post 21678825)
The link posted shows both 5/8” and 1”. And it looks like a plain non-chevron weave. Whether the product matches the pictures, I can’t say.
I do like some of those colors, and the price per yard is great. I wonder how it would work for wrapping bars, or if one might want to use an adhesive, and if so, what type. Perhaps if shellacked it would not be necessary(?)

Sorry for my gaffe; I meant plain weave, not twill -- now corrected.

Alexthe 09-07-20 11:04 PM

I just ordered a sample ( Shaker Tape ) , and If I find it promising I will post a picture . I am going to shellac the cotton bar tape I decide on . I bought some red 2Velo bar tape and find it too pink . I am also considering, the Green-Grips brand .

73StellaSX76 09-07-20 11:22 PM

I had no idea bar tape is typically twill, so thanks for this info. I suspect a twill Is preferred as it is more forgiving and would conform to the hooks and top bends better than a straight weave. Just guessing.

branko_76 09-08-20 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by due ruote (Post 21678825)

3M Spray Adhesive on the bars should work